Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Any changes to the environment on the whole are supposed to be reviewed by our Change Review Board before they are deployed to all machines. People are constantly short-circuiting these requirements, meaning that the software isn't as tested as we'd like and there's no documentation for the service desk to support it.

Is that the reason you have a staging area or acceptance environment?

I suddenly realized that like all of my posts on these forums today have been exceptionally antagonistic (and jokingly so) while also being completely true to my opinion.

I need to go outside.

If it's antagonistic it's not actually a joke, just hedging your bets in case someone is antagonistic in return.

I can absolutely guarantee they were jokingly antagonistic. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

How about meet in the middle and smoke a crab stick.

Seriously though smoking is bad mo-okay.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wait what? NOT drinking alcohol is bad for you?

Statistics, with the same numbers you can say different things.

Statistics, with the same numbers you can say different things.

I'm 49% sure I agree with you.

People who don't drink have so little to live for.

I went out and got a pack of Smirnoff Ice. +5.6 years for me YAY.

(I also want to point out that my purchasing of alcohol actually had nothing to do with a picture I saw online claiming drinking alcohol will make me live longer.)

A little while ago I was heating something in my toaster oven.  I set the dial to 30 minutes.  After about 10 minutes, I thought "Man, this is taking forever".  I then went to the oven and set the timer to 5 minutes before I realized this wouldn't actually speed up the cooking time.  Also, earlier this week I was listening to some voicemails on my work phone and reading a few emails at the same time.  I wanted the voicemails to go faster, so I tried clicking the mouse on my emails thinking that would speed up the dialog in the same manner as a video game.  I'm starting to question my perception of reality.

That's entirely true, Ernst. I increasingly feel counter-culture whenever I opt to keep something for myself instead of sharing it with the world.

...maybe I can start a business as a professional secret keeper. People who have to confess stuff can tell me, and I promise not to tell anyone else.

(Dammit, Catholic Church beat me to the punch by a few hundred years.)

Is that the reason you have a staging area or acceptance environment?

Way after the fact but yes, we have a small staging area but most of our problems tend to be inter-app conflicts, which are really hard to test with the hundreds of supported apps around here. Additionally, since this was an emergency deployment it skipped all that.

In the end, it only went wrong for 10 people, which I was able to fix fairly easily. So I guess success?

That's entirely true, Ernst. I increasingly feel counter-culture whenever I opt to keep something for myself instead of sharing it with the world.

If you are interested, here is an interesting article that provides an evolutionary explanation of our over-sharing culture. I'm not entirely convinced by the article's arguments, I think it is a bit narrow, as it doesn't address our culture of narcissism. Still, worth reading if you are interested.

To be clear, I am not anti-social media. I have two social networks in my forums signature, and I am writing this message on an internet bulletin board. I just think that privacy is an important part of identity management and social agency and to have it stripped away by our own desire to document and project is worrying.

It still bums me out from time to time when someone on the internet calls me an asshole for expressing my honest opinion.

I knew that guy from school. Our parents went to the same church. He crashed in my friends' hotel room during an anime convention. He's always been a huge jerk to me. I'm sure his new web series is good or whatever, but I'm going to pass.

At what point over those five sentences did I cross some invisible line?

Why exactly was the semicolon invented? I try to use it from time to time but every time I do I feel like I fuck it up.

Why exactly was the semicolon invented? I try to use it from time to time but every time I do I feel like I fuck it up.

It's for either separating items in a list where a series of items separated by commas should be considered a collective item on the whole list; or for dividing two completely different thoughts that would still be considered part of the same sentence, like I just did!

(I fucking love semicolons and use them ALL THE TIME)

It's for either separating items in a list where a series of items separated by commas should be considered a collective item on the whole list; or for dividing two completely different thoughts that would still be considered part of the same sentence, like I just did!

I just got pwned; or maybe I didn't!