Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I think they can be accurate up to a certain point but are inherently limited beyond that. The facilitators of the test offer a general statement on each set of results that says it is very important to know yourself. Well, how do I know if I know myself or if I only think I know myself? I may think I'm personable and nice but others may think I'm a fuckface. If anything I think the results might be more accurate if you identified how you think other people view you, or just had a bunch of other people take the test for how they feel about you and conflated it with how you feel about yourself.

I believe in democracy dammit!! If I think I'm nice and everyone else thinks I'm an asshole, then I'm an asshole!

I think the fact that you're thinking about these questions puts you a step ahead of the average populous already.

LOUD NOISES

I had a crazy thought on the thought process behind this (or maybe it is obvious and I only think it is super obscure). Beaver Anus -> Chocolate covered squirrel -> Steve Carell -> LOUD NOISES.

Anchorman is a really great movie, I am terrified at how horrible the bastard child sequel is going to be.

nope, you're waaaay off

it was just a random thought

I'm gonna take a hard left turn here real quick.

Not too long ago I was disgusted to find out that beaver anal gland secretions are used in artificial vanilla flavoring and other foods containing "natural flavors" in their ingredient list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum

Soon, however, my disgust turned to curiosity as I started wondering how they go about obtaining these secretions. I have to imagine there must be the beaver equivalent of a dairy farm and it is probably someone's job to, um, extract this stuff. Or maybe they hook them up to some elaborate "milking" machine like they do with dairy cows. Taking it one step further, how the fuck did this practice start in the first place? Who is the first person that tasted a beaver's ass, ran and told all his/her friends, and convinced everyone to start putting it in food? I imagine this person would have been very persuasive.

So I guess food with artificial vanilla flavoring or natural flavors isn't necessarily vegan as I originally thought. Feel free to resume your discussion on influential people.

Thanks for this! I love finding out this sort of thing. It restores my faith in the world's weirdness, though it throws a wrench into my vegetarianism. I did some googling, and found this article which gives some interesting info, and somehow manages to make 'stuff that comes out of the same place as beaver poop' sound weirdly classy.

I'm enjoying Wargame: AirLand Battle a lot, but...

Okay, so it's got this chat window that you get signed into when you start the game and, as far as I can tell, the only conversation it's been host to since the game launched two months ago is one massive nonstop slapfight over whether the USA or the USSR would have won World War III. You can even check it while playing by pulling up the Esc menu, so I know for sure that at least one skirmish lasted for six hours straight, with dozens of people coming and going and keeping up the fight.

It's just way too easy to forget how many kinds of crazy, weird, fascinating people there are, hidden in every corner of the internet. I'd almost rather watch the fight than play the game, but it only takes one asshole bursting at the seams with toxic Czech or Swede nationalism to remind me why I don't.

I recently got my first tablet device (the new Nexus 7 if anyone is wondering).  I've also been rewatching Star Trek: The Next Generation for some reason.  It's very strange to be seeing this show now and thinking "Man, my tablet is way better than theirs!".

I recently got my first tablet device (the new Nexus 7 if anyone is wondering).  I've also been rewatching Star Trek: The Next Generation for some reason.  It's very strange to be seeing this show now and thinking "Man, my tablet is way better than theirs!".

I tried to watch Seinfeld for the first time ever last summer, and I only got halfway through the first season because all I could think of was how every single conflict in the show could have been avoided if everyone had had cell phones at the time.

If I had a talk show, I would introduce famous guests by citing the thing they're least known for. Like Leonardo DiCaprio would be introduced as "the star of Critters 3" and Art Spiegelman would be introduced as "creator of the Garbage Pail Kids."

I'm enjoying Wargame: AirLand Battle a lot, but...

Okay, so it's got this chat window that you get signed into when you start the game and, as far as I can tell, the only conversation it's been host to since the game launched two months ago is one massive nonstop slapfight over whether the USA or the USSR would have won World War III. You can even check it while playing by pulling up the Esc menu, so I know for sure that at least one skirmish lasted for six hours straight, with dozens of people coming and going and keeping up the fight.

It's just way too easy to forget how many kinds of crazy, weird, fascinating people there are, hidden in every corner of the internet. I'd almost rather watch the fight than play the game, but it only takes one asshole bursting at the seams with toxic Czech or Swede nationalism to remind me why I don't.

Those people aren't Fallout fans I guess.

When I post I really like to use parentheses (because they help me add random thoughts that I otherwise can't figure out how to put into my sentence in a logical way (or maybe just because I'm a little OCD (I'm not really OCD, I just like to use that term like everyone else (but my wife really does have OCD (which means the vacuum is always running and I can't hear (so I try to read lips)))))).

When I post I really like to use parentheses (because they help me add random thoughts that I otherwise can't figure out how to put into my sentence in a logical way (or maybe just because I'm a little OCD (I'm not really OCD, I just like to use that term like everyone else (but my wife really does have OCD (which means the vacuum is always running and I can't hear (so I try to read lips)))))).

I'm convinced that literature is going to start looking more like computer-code than the other way around.

If I'm one of the harder workers at my company, then the crappier workers must do almost nothing.

If I'm one of the harder workers at my company, then the crappier workers must do almost nothing.

Oh boy have I had that thought before!

I prefer to be in denial about this. It helps me feel like I'm multi-tasking more than I really am when I have two computers, three screens, and a KVM switch.

Luckily I'm the only one that knows that I suck at multi-tasking. *Scroll Lock, Scroll Lock*

Ohhhhh my head.

"Bro" with scruffy beard, who can't pronounce Falun Gong to save his life has heard "it's a type of medidation." "and... and... uhhh, uh.... like, they're, prosecuting them in China. Because, they do things that, China doesn't, want people to know about. And I heard like... they're where, transplant organs come from, because they're being held in uh... uh... like, concentration camps."

Well, first it's a quasi religious movement which goes against the strict non religious ethos communist countries picked up mostly as a prevention of an alternative cult. Thus any persecution comes from the Chinese Communist parties paranoid grasp on culture and opposition to any show of "opposition" to "the party". Secondly transplant organs come from executed criminals in China, we know that because it's an official position and publicly available information. Thirdly there's a relative shortage of transplant organs because China has drastically cut it's capital punishment in the last two decades. So no, there is no "secret concentration camps" for the Falun Gong. If they're in jail, then they're just in jail, because the communist party doesn't give a shit or need "secret concentration camps" because, last I looked they ruled the entire country.

But of course the Bro's solution to all this is that there's an online petition. And surely signing it will end the 1984ish grip of Party Paranoia on China and it will become a liberal democracy to shame every other country. Like it on Facebook man. A million likes and my Chinese girlfriend said I get to do anal!

There's been two Reddit AMA's that I've been interested in during the last couple of days (The Mars rover folks did one for the 1st anniversary and a rogue Seattle PD guy apparently got on there and said some pretty interesting stuff.) Up until now, I've been avoiding places like Reddit and SA, but maybe there's something worth seeing there I guess?

That sounds more like ADD.  I use the phrase "my brain feels like it is full of unclosed parentheses" to refer to the way I will get distracted by a new task while partway through an old one, leaving the older one unfinished.  

P.S.  SA is worth it, you can just find a couple of threads you like and stay there if the whole thing overwhelms you.  Avoid FYAD if you're new, and if you post in YOSPOS you have to spell it catte.  Them's the rules.

There's been two Reddit AMA's that I've been interested in during the last couple of days (The Mars rover folks did one for the 1st anniversary and a rogue Seattle PD guy apparently got on there and said some pretty interesting stuff.) Up until now, I've been avoiding places like Reddit and SA, but maybe there's something worth seeing there I guess?

Reddit is like Ripley's Believe It Or NOt, but way more satisfying. I love it.

Ignore this man.  Reddit is terrible.  Get off my lawn.

Juuust found out that "creep-shaming" is a thing. Thanks for nothing, shammack.

Seriously, what is it with Men's Rights activists trying to appropriate feminist rhetoric to use against women? It's the most reactionary thing since white flight. I guess I should head back over to the Feminism thread.

Juuust found out that "creep-shaming" is a thing. Thanks for nothing, shammack.

Seriously, what is it with Men's Rights activists trying to appropriate feminist rhetoric to use against women? It's the most reactionary thing since white flight. I guess I should head back over to the Feminism thread.

Feminism can seem hypocritical if you take the arguments out of cultural context. So if they don't believe the cultural context that you are using for your premise, they see the entire thing as hypocritical and use the converse of the argument. IMO.

Well... the same to you buddy.

That's what I thought just a moment ago. No idea in what context.