Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

If you bring your own bags, and you hold on to them, the bagger will have to ask you if you want help and you can non-chalantly say "No thanks, I can get it."

If they start bagging your groceries with store bags, just say "Oh, don't worry anout bagging, I have my own bags."

Well Austin requires you bring your own bags as of this year, but I've never had anyone ask first, they always start bagging as usual. I suppose I could try to speak up and say I don't need a bagger in the beginning.

Also, several of the lanes are self-check out with no baggers at all.  I also prefer to bag myself so that I can separate foods, ie raw meat in one bag, boxed/canned goods in another, etc. 

Oh man, if I'm ever under the maximum item number for self checkout, I'm home free!

I hope this doesn't offend anyone here but I am really bothered when I hear someone tell me that a family pet is one of their reincarnated dead relatives.

This happened to me recently with a good friend who is otherwise very intelligent. We've had many good conversations and she has proven to be very knowledgeable about a lot of things. However, after she got back from a recent trip to see family she told me that one of her sister's cats is her mom. She says she never would have believed that kind of stuff before but apparently this cat is so much like her mom that there is just no other explanation. The cat slept on her every night she was there even though she doesn't like any other people, she wakes up at the same time as her mom did and starts meowing, and so on and so forth. I just had to nod and smile.

I attribute this kind of thing to the strong desire all humans have to find patterns in everything, even where patterns don't exist. I guess the same thing that motivates some people to try to find a pattern in pi motivates other people to assume a cat is their mom because of a few happy coincidences.

Apophenia.

I can't believe your friend told you that. It seems like the kind of thing that you would personally believe, but never tell anyone because they will confront the delusion.

I asked a lady on a streetcar if she thought that her concerns about being brain-washed by color television and being followed by the CIA and her story about her family under going secret experiments by government agencies somewhere in South America after a car crash were just her mind's way of dealing with a normal car accident where she lost her family. It didn't go well.

Now I don't give my opinion on such things unless asked for it.

What happened to Peter moledeux? I'm sad he is not cool like he used to be.

I know right! Seems like its a completely different person. Although I do enjoy the Facebook comments of people who think its the real Peter

I think I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm totally a hippy. It's hard to deny when I look at the evidence:

• I'm vegan
  • I eat granola with hemp milk every morning
  • I use hemp shampoo
  • Global warming is real dammit
  • I smoke weed
  • I hope to own a Prius by the end of the year
  • I eat a shitload of hummus
  • I'm a "left wing" type of guy

I think the main thing I'm lacking is that I don't know how to play the guitar. I need to get on that.

Skip the guitar, go straight to the digeridoo.

Is recreational use legal in Arizona?

Skip the guitar, go straight to the digeridoo.

Is recreational use legal in Arizona?

Oh my Zeus. I actually already know how to play the didgeridoo and do circular breathing. My dad used to make them when I was a kid and he passed some of the knowledge down to me. It's been awhile since I played the one I still have but last I tried I could still hold a note for several minutes.

And no, recreational use is not legal here. But medical did pass a couple years ago.

When was the last time you hugged a tree?

No trees to hug here. And I'm NOT fucking hugging a cactus!!!

No trees to hug here. And I'm NOT fucking hugging a cactus!!!

Cacti need love too, man. You're just being selfish. :P

Cacti need love too, man. You're just being selfish. :P

What kind of hippy are you?  Cacti are people too man.

Dude, you guys know how to cut right to the core. What am I doing with my life?

Next saguaro I see is gonna get some serious love.

Dude, you guys know how to cut right to the core. What am I doing with my life?

Next saguaro I see is gonna get some serious love.

I just want to point out the sticking-tongue-out emoticon guy at the end of my post indicates a joke, because I can't stand the idea of possibly making people I've never met feel bad. It goes double when that person is represented by Erkel in my mind.

So if you dont want to hug a cactus, don't! Life is about choices! Some good, some bad. Not hugging a cactus is a good choice. Punching someone is a bad choice. Going to Five Guys for dinner is both a good and bad choice, depending on the time (good during the dinner, bad a few hours later in the washroom)

Random Thought I Just Had: If they remade Family Matters in Europe, Urkel would definitely have been renamed Erkel. And I would want to see it.

Random Thought I Just Had: If they remade Family Matters in Europe, Urkel would definitely have been renamed Erkel. And I would want to see it.

Wait... is it spelled Urkel? oops.

It seems like every time I'm stuck on a section in the article I'm revising for submission – which happens a lot these days, he says not quietly enough – what ends up being missing is a single sentence somewhere that I didn't even think to include in the first place. Usually I have to walk away from the part that's bugging me for a day if not a week, then I come back and "Oh, of course! How could I think of talking about the hostile response to the peace negotiations without even a sentence outright stating that the negotiations themselves were in bad faith?" Or something like that.

I kinda hate how much job is making me blind to the thought processes of people who don't spend every waking hour with dead white men on their mind.

She's the boss in Germany right now!

Today I learned that this Super Smash Bros. fanfic is the single longest standalone work of English literature to have ever been written. It's more than 200 chapters long and more than 3.5 million words in total. If printed, it would be seven times the thickness of War and Peace.

what the fuck

I'll never read it and am generally dismissive of fanfics for obvious reasons, but that's impressive. It's all one guy, right? Even if it's terrible, I have to admire the dedication.

Today I learned that this Super Smash Bros. fanfic is the single longest standalone work of English literature to have ever been written. It's more than 200 chapters long and more than 3.5 million words in total. If printed, it would be seven times the thickness of War and Peace.

It's seriously like seven times as long as Infinite Jest. SEVEN TIMES AS LONG AS INFINITE JEST. That's astounding. 

You know how in movies and stuff some psychic characters can pick up an object and absorb knowledge of its history? If a device that does that is invented, it would have some interesting implications for society as a whole. Something like a barcode-scanner that tells you where it was made, how it was made, how it got here, who made it, and why. That's what I would call "surveillance"!