toblix

Half-Life 3

The rumor has it, the final version of Half-Life 3 is locked in a vault and will only be released after Gabe Newell's death. Seems fairly obvious that Gordon Freeman will die at the end. 

It'll function as an interactive will. Whoever completes the game in the most charitable fashion will take over Valve, Willy Wonka style.

BREENGRUB HAS STIRRED. BREENGRUB HAS STIRRED ON TWITTER.

I get the feeling that Laidlaw is the only guy at Valve who doesn't hate Half-Life.

BREENGRUB HAS STIRRED. BREENGRUB HAS STIRRED ON TWITTER.

mother of fuck

Even more obvious hint (if you can even call it that anymore) is quoting half a sentence from University of Oulu doctoral dissertation on intellectual disability. For all intents and purposes: Half-Life 3 confirmed. Someone update the wiki.

Valve has been secretly publishing obscure academic papers for years just to hide HL3 references. 

I thank the Rinnekoti Research Foundation, the Alma and K.A. Snellman Foundation, the Otto A Malm Foundation, the Emil Aaltonen Foundation, the Graduate School of Circumpolar Health, Wellbeing and Adaptation, the Academy of Finland, the Oulu University Scholarship Foundation and Valve for financial support.

haha what the fuck

is mark laidlaw trolling the fuck out of everyone

(i was previously aware of this twitter account, but this is such BAIT i hope everyone falls for it and is disappointed all over again)

hoooraaay i thought breengrub was dead.

In celebration, here is an email I sent Gabe Newell a while ago when I worked out who the Gman is. I don't think I have posted it here before. Don't read it if you don't want HL3 spoiled!

Hey guys! I'm blowing this thing wide open.

The Gman has several impressive abilities - the ability to be more or less anywhere at more or less any time, etc - but the most important one is his apparent ability to somehow/to some extent perceive the infinite series of consequences of any action - for instance, by placing Gordon Freeman on a train at just the right moment, Gordon Freeman ends up destroying the citadel three days later. Right man, wrong place, etc. This perception, combined with basic teleportation technology, makes him fairly godlike, although its usefulness, for his purposes, is contingent on the availability of individuals with "potential"; Gordon and Alyx. 

The scientific field that has to do with attaining this perception is called Scheduled Chaos Theory, and the Gman was at Black Mesa conducting research and development into it pre-Incident.

The role of the Gman, putting events into motion that lead to great things, while generally (but not always) taking a hands-off approach to those events' actual development, is a metaphor for Gabe's role within the company. Scheduled Chaos Theory is Valve's unique structure. Throughout the games, Gabe's representative appears in unreachable locations. He is a producer; he doesn't really seem to direct, but everyone is there because of him. In Half-Life 1, the Gabe-Man spoke of his employers; people he answers to and to whom the Gordon/the player is in service to indirectly. This is perhaps an allusion to Valve having a publisher, to whom the Gabe-Man is to some extent beholden. By the time HL2 rolls around, no mention is made of any employers. 

Gordon is, of course, the player, the pivotal component around which Gabe's Scheduled Chaos Theory revolves. Without the player, nothing would happen. Although Gabe is strong in the ways of Scheduled Chaos Theory, his machinations still require the player's consent: "If you're interested, just step into the portal and I will take that as a yes". The player agrees.

Thank you, goodnight!

I thank the Rinnekoti Research Foundation, the Alma and K.A. Snellman Foundation, the Otto A Malm Foundation, the Emil Aaltonen Foundation, the Graduate School of Circumpolar Health, Wellbeing and Adaptation, the Academy of Finland, the Oulu University Scholarship Foundation and Valve for financial support.

Mental disorders in persons with ID are basically the same as in general population (Breen 1991, Szymanski & Vance 1996, Magnusson et al . 2002).

More like Portal 3 confirmed. More like Snore-tal 3. I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Valve just has a script that autopopulates an HL3 folder in every single folder across all their computers. 

Valve just has a script that autopopulates an HL3 folder in every single folder across all their computers. 

Along with a giant picture of Gabe Newell watching you morosely. That's going to be the new Valve Steam title thingy by the way. The dude with the Valve in his head will turn around, and be Gabe Newell, and it will zoom out to this whole 1984 Giant head on a screen watching you. This will also be the new background for the steam overlay.

I just played through Portal 2 and was really disturbed to see that the Valve logo guy now turns around.  I hope Source 2 makes him sit still.

I thought that was only in dota 2...don't remember seeing it on portal, either way probably stays that way since it's new!

Listen, can someone check to see if Source2 can stream assets from the hard drive because otherwise why did they rebuild their engine

Listen, can someone check to see if Source2 can stream assets from the hard drive because otherwise why did they rebuild their engine

Yes that is most important thing to me too.

I guess I like to pretend that Valve would begin to talk HL3 around the same time they talk consumer VR gear. I know people wouldn't like it if the company gated the game to VR or at least to a date when that could ship buut they gated HL2 to steam so it's more something I could see them doing rather than what I want explicitly.

It's great the company is throwing itself into hardware, I wonder if some workers will eventually tire of it and (re)form dat HL3 cabal.

Still I mean there's already so much Hl content out there that needing/wanting another game seems like a "It would be nice if there was more but really..." moment to me.

Gabe:

"This time we will do it properly,I present thee; Half Life 3: Episode 1"

Alright, so Valve is working on two new franchises for the Source 2 engine, eh? "Bin" and "Core". Sound like Portal spin-offs to me.