toblix

Half-Life 3

It's APRIL FOOLS DAY and the HALF-LIFE 3 topic is resurrected! This can only mean ONE thing: IT IS HAPPENING IT IS REAL AND IT'S COMING

5 hours ago, Roderick said:

It's APRIL FOOLS DAY and the HALF-LIFE 3 topic is resurrected! This can only mean ONE thing: IT IS HAPPENING IT IS REAL AND IT'S COMING

Artifact is a very long ARG for HL3, confirmed

Y'know Valve just announced a new VR headset that'll be releasing in June AND they've been talking about THREE BIG VR GAMES they're working on. It's not inconceivable that at least one of them will release alongside the new headset.

We could very well be getting a new Valve game in June. I mean, probably not HL3, and it is in VR, but still. It's something.

13 hours ago, osmosisch said:

Artifact VR relaunch

i would laugh so hard if that's what it is. it's card game, but you can use your hands! Artifact VR Spring 2020

Shocker

Blatantly the whole of campo santo just went and worked on half life day 1 when they moved to value.

i saw Tom Francis tweet that this has been in development in some form for 4.5 years, then apologised in a following tweet that the official statement is that they’ve only been working on it since 2016, 3 years from that Geoff Keighley interview . Either way this has been worked on for a long time, they reached the point when it was time to think about narrative, approached campo, bobs your mothers brother.

weirdly the idea of another half game back then was so far fetched. But now. Obviously. It’s the only answer. 

what that means for valley of the gods. Either nixed or changed into a VR game. Value need to support their hardware. People will be paying £1000 to play half life, they better follow up with another high quality VR game later in 2020. It was being made in unity right, I assume they would have to be making it in the source engine now, I don’t know if that means they’d have to start again from scratch.

anyway, aside from all of that, the most interesting thing for me is that Valve are going to open up and talk about all/some of the cancelled games they had been working on the past 10 years. an in depth look at all the stages of half life stuff from the past 10 years would be fascinating 

If it's the case that they all came in, did good work on Alyx and then make Valley as a VR game, I'm happy with that result even though I'm probably not going to get to play any VR games for quite a while - once I can, will be great to have a new awesome HL game to play and to see what the Campo Santo team can do with a 'walking simulator' game using high levels of VR interactivity and Valve money. And if Valley turns out not to be VR that's fine too. As long as it still gets made (or at least we get a different CS game instead, I guess)! 

A few weeks ago i was thinking about valley of the gods, i think because the game awards stuff started up and it was two years ago the trailer was shown off at the awards.

Anyway having a quick google, i found the campo santo youtube trailer was now private and when i attempted to access the valley of the gods website, my kaspersky internet blocked the site :blink: so i thought the game must be dead

But trying again today and the website works. So something has happened to Valley of the gods website in the last couple of weeks. Anyhoo, i guess the games not dead, but yeah i recon it'll be a VR game, but maybe also able to play with a controller?

https://inthevalleyofgods.com/

I just don't know what the game is:

• In the Valley of Gods is a single-player first person video game set in Egypt in the 1920s. You play as an explorer and filmmaker who, along with your old partner, has traveled to the middle of the desert in the hopes of making a seemingly-impossible discovery and an incredible film.

Like is there going to be scifi elements. Creating a film? Crystal skullllllllllls. Either aliens or time travel. or maybe like a Shanghai la type scenario . Maybe this is all to high concept, but what exactly are you finding and filming in the desert/ruins

Back to half life 3, i got the impression from that video interview that they're going to be working on more Half Life next. Will that be a big all platform mouse/controller game... I don't know. Is there anymore room for new innovations in the first person shooter space? especially going back after making a 'full motion controlled VR game'.

Press F to pay respects to a mouse & keyboard controlled Half Life 3

On 2019-11-22 at 12:11 PM, Mington said:
what that means for valley of the gods. Either nixed or changed into a VR game. Value need to support their hardware.

What? Why would it mean either of those things?

And Valve released the Vive in 2016, and the Index half a year ago. If they were gonna release a bunch of games to support sales of their headsets, they've missed the bus on that one.

My thinking... obviously, I have no idea, but I can envision the developement moving in this direction

campo goes to value to work on VR half life and puts Valley on the back burner. Get inspired by the possibility space of VR whilst developing and implementing narrative design into Half Life and want to bring what they’ve learnt over into Valley

Watching the interview with the other Valve bods they’re all very excited and enthused about VR

I just think, they’ll think, it’s a step backwards not to continue using gesture controls, press ‘X’ to do archeology isn’t gonna cut it. 

I think they’ll do both, and they’ll have an enhanced for VR version where you can use gesture controls to operate the camera instead of winding the right thumb stick. Man, joypads are so two thousand and late

wait, I take it all back. I forgot Valley is a walking simulator and you can’t move slowly through a picturesque environment in VR without barfing. Maybe therein lies the problem

So anyone else play this Half Life: Alyx thingy? I just finished it and here's WOT I THINK.

Performance

I'm on a GTX1070, i7-4770K 3.50GHz, 16GB RAM, playing with Oculus Rift. I had a few crashes, and also a bit stuttery performance towards the end. The game also kept warning that my memory was low whenever I started it up. It says it requires 12GB RAM, but I have 16, so dunno what I'm supposed to do about that (yeah, I had all other unnecessary applications shut down). Had graphics quality set to Low, tho the game still looked great, and performed smoothly for the most part.

Gameplay

This is the most polished first person shooter I've played in VR. Gunplay and other interactions feel great. They way you have to flick your wrist back to pull things with the gravity-gloves feels great. There's a ton of great little environmental touches. You can play the piano, draw with crayons, honk car horns, pick up everything that looks pick-uppable and open anything that looks like it should open. I played seated, with smooth locomotion. My favourite part was a stealth-focused section in a vodka distillery halfway through the game, which packs a lot of neat VR stealth ideas into just 30 min. It left me wishing someone would make a proper Thief VR game.

Story

It starts off strong, with a clear objective which you then pretty quickly accomplish. After that the pace slows down for the middle part of the game before getting really intriguing in the 3rd act. There are some crazy revelations and it's very fun to see how it ties into the series as a whole.

Video!

Having finished this it's hard not to think another Half-Life game is right around the corner. They way it ends, man... they just can't leave us hanging for another 15 years before continuing the story. I mean, they wouldn't do that, would they?

... would they?

Also here's a recent Valve interview where they talk about bringing the Campo Santo folks on board.

(at 14:55)

I just found out that I'll be working from home for AT LEAST 3 more months... I should find some outdoor activities , but also really tempted to get a VR now... Valve Index seems to be in stock even?

But I'm still really doubtful that it will get much use beyond this game and a couple of others. And I don't even have that much time for extra indoor activities...

You're right. I've been putting it off for years. Time to do it!

[edit] Damn! I think I was a bit late. If I'm not wrong, then a couple of days ago it would have been in stock, but now there's a 8 week wait.

[edit2] So sad. I was getting excited, but I guess I can wait... and maybe I was wrong aobut availability couple of days ago, some site is still showing that it's "available" after google search. Anyway, sad news is that I have the EXACT minimum GPU for Index , so to play games I probably want a newer one and good news! hardware hasn't made some kind of leap in the mean time so my pci-express 3.0 slot still seems valid for newest graphics cards?!?! I didn't dare hope so but lucky me.

Or just get a Rift S. Way cheaper and perfectly fine for HL Alyx.

Anyway sure you're gonna come to VR for Alyx, but you're gonna stay for Beat Saber. :)

I want the best one, I guess Index is it at the moment? Although it's pretty much the maximum I would pay for one (well I'm willing to get a new graphics card too).

I heard a lot of good about Beat Saber but somewhy I have doubts if it's for me. We'll see.

Well, I have the Valve Index now, but before I properly get into playing games on it, I have to clean up a room to have a nice playing area of about 10 square meters and I'm also waiting for RTX 30xx availability. Actually saw the local store had just one option of 3080 in stock, but it was 1000€ +. I might actually get a RTX 3090, even as it's very expensive, it should last longer with the increased memory size and be more useful for video editing as well. And I think it's probably the last video card I'll get for my current system, as the next one would likely be a completely new build with PCIe 4.0 in a couple of years or so.