toblix

Half-Life 3

Yes. It is very good, but some strange design choices.

• If you run too fast, Gordan's glasses can fall off his head and everything goes blurry until you pick them up.
  • The helicopter ride hinted in Episode 2 is in real time, so make some tea or something because you basically watch Alyx read a magazine for 18 hours. There is an option to kill time by making small talk. One of the dialogue choices is "how is the family?", which makes her burst out in tears. You can repeat this dialogue option infinitely to maintain her state of despair. 
  • If you are at half your health, the game yells "HALF LIFE" in a Call of Duty style, guttural exclamation.
  • Your gravity gun is replaced by a "Grabbity Gun", which 'grabs' objects around you, which doesn't seem that different from before.
  • The Source 2 engine is very reflective, so you can see what Gordon looks like, which is weird because he is wearing a black-mesh do-rag. Was this explained in the previous games?
  • The free-to-play model is not too intrusive. The in game store is well designed and there are some cool cosmetic items for Alyx to wear. Unfortunately, they are all the same Taz and Bugs t-shirts with different colours. You can also buy Yosemite Sam mudflaps for your vehicle.  
  • Gordon doesn't speak, but his grunts are still in the game, ala Link. What makes this decision weird is that he grunts in response to questions, so you basically grunt your way through some pretty emotional scenes. 
  • Combine is misspelled "Columbine" several times throughout the game. This should be patched out pretty soon.
  • A lot of great licensed music in this game, although a bit too heavy on the Hootie and the Blowfish. Reminds me of Crazy Taxi with The Offspring.
  • "That suit is so powerful I wouldn't be surprised if it were powered by Nvidia" is some terrible product placement. Come on, Valve. 
  • The hacking mini-game is essentially SkiFree, which is fun but makes no sense tonally. Also, even if you hack successfully, the monster still eats your snowboarder. 
  • As far as I can tell, there are multiple endings to this game but they are all the same variation of the same sequence of events through a different photoshop filter. One ending (the good ending, I think) is almost impossible to see because there are 20 to 30 lens-flares filling the screen. Super weird considering it takes place in an underground bunker.

I think the inclusion of Hootie and the Blowfish is the wrong choice for Half-Life 3, tonally speaking. It doesn't mesh very well, which becomes just glaringly obvious during the revisit of Nova Prospekt when they need to chase Alyx and Gordon's love child come from the future. It's supposed to be a touching and slightly uncomfortable moment, but the easy listening slap punk of HATB makes you unable to sit still.

I still think that making a HOTAS setup the standard controller for Half life 3 was a strange decision. But, hey, it works.

Sadly I think some of us derive a small amount of glee from knowing that as we bump it.

We do.

Ah that unwinnable Skifree. Classic.

Although it is possible to outrun the abominable snow monsters; if you do, the distance counter wraps around to -2000 and you eventually ski back to the start.

You should get to work on that

I heard insider gossip that HL3 will be the SteamOS launch title killer app. I'm not posting this just to annoy Rodi by bumping the thread, it's deffo true.

I already signed a NDA with Valve that I was not allowed to talk about the upcoming release of HL3

half life 3 might not come out for some time guys, it hasn't even been announced yet, and mostly every single continuation of a good game came out after being announced.

The rumor has it, the final version of Half-Life 3 is locked in a vault and will only be released after Gabe Newell's death. Seems fairly obvious that Gordon Freeman will die at the end. 

I already signed a NDA with Valve that I was not allowed to talk about the upcoming release of HL3

The first rule of HL3 is that you do not talk about HL3.

i mean it's definitely at least blocked out and shit

defs going to ask to play it next time i'm there

a man can dream

You would have to be at the GBX offices to have a chance of playing the current build, my friend.

Jesus, fuck. I had to flip back a page just to be disappointed.

Hee hee! FInally the response I wanted from Rodi to my slambang posts!