Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Saturday Morning Streams

10,000 hours is the going rate to become really really good at something apparently. It's a lot of time. Can't really spare that much for just any passing fancy: Gotta be something you love.

10,000 hours is the going rate to become really really good at something apparently. It's a lot of time. Can't really spare that much for just any passing fancy: Gotta be something you love.

I think that's a totally bullshit figure, for what it's worth. Gladwell's methodology makes no sense to me and the notion of "greatness" Is too ethereal to quantify.

I am currently testing this theory with (of all things) Kingdom Rush. =P =\

Was excited today to see you've put up some videos of Kerbal Space Program! I think the streaming playthroughs are especially good for games that are fascinating but maybe hard to get into -- things like Kerbal, FTL, DayZ. (The other thing the streaming videos are perfect for is forcing people to watch videos of years-old games that nobody would otherwise remember, haha).

I think that's a totally bullshit figure, for what it's worth. Gladwell's methodology makes no sense to me and the notion of "greatness" Is too ethereal to quantify.

Oh, I'm absolutely certain it's a total bullshit figure. Nevertheless, you should probably be prepared to put that much time into anything you want to be really good at.

To be fair, I feel like some of Nick's failure was due to musical sabotage. Pretty sure Chris started playing 'Space Asshole' before one of the later, failed launches. How can anyone expect to succeed when their musical accompaniment is basically begging for their ruin?

That was a great stream! It was fun to watch all the attempts, and it makes me want to get back into the game. It seems a lot more fully featured than the last time I checked it out.

I want to splatter some poor fucker on the moon.

I agree with you, but the takeaway message is "People are good at things because of the monstrous amount of time and effort you never see". It seems self evident, but there are plenty of people who seem to be good at something without apparent effort. People will sometimes describe certain athletes as "lazy", but to reach a professional level they are in the 99th percentile of skill (and opportunity) and were putting in 99th percentile level of effort at some point.

One thing that will never translate onto the rebroadcast is Sean leaving, and then rejoining the chat getting home and being bewildered when he was talking and no one was replying to him. That was quite enjoyable.

Considering I've come back to the Kerbal stream everyday since its release, I sketched out my (and probably everyone elses) favorite moment.

q92PPei.png

Jesus.

I've always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, but I don't think I'll ever be this good.

Not to take anything away from chris, but playing a new song well from the get go is basically just good reading skills.  If you can learn the notational sort-of-language of written music well enough, you can read a song you've never seen before while translating it into your instrument in real-time, just like you can read a sentence of english out loud.  It's a skill that'll naturally develop the more you read sheet music, and definitely not out of reach for anyone.

I say go for it!  When you have the time I mean :P

Nick's realization that he has no fuel and the crecendo to Space Asshole is amazing, but I think my favorite moment might actually be when Wizard IV re-enters the atmosphere.  The image of the ship surrounded by flames while Chris sings a haunting melody is a tragically beautiful moment in the midst of chaos.  Then Chris forgets the chords and Nick flips the ship until it crashes and the balance is restored.

Thanks to the stream, I got back into the game. I'm still not particularly into the design side (building stuff just isn't my thing), but man, successfully modifying orbits and getting to the moon, etc. is supremely gratifying and educational, even if the game is doing all the math for me.

I want to be a spaceman. 

To add my small dose of affectionate mockery to the proceedings, I would like to point out how much I liked hearing both Chris and Nick expressing their regrets that they hadn't brought any parachutes...to the moon

That was a great stream ^_^ The only thing missing was crackers.

zNoEECB.jpg

Thanks to the stream, I got back into the game. I'm still not particularly into the design side (building stuff just isn't my thing), but man, successfully modifying orbits and getting to the moon, etc. is supremely gratifying and educational, even if the game is doing all the math for me.

I want to be a spaceman. 

Do you want to team up? I think I design pretty decent units, but I'm too anxious and impatient to fly them properly.

Do you want to team up? I think I design pretty decent units, but I'm too anxious and impatient to fly them properly.

We can try! If you have a craft that you think has operational potential, just email the file to [email protected] or put it online somewhere with an explanation of the stages and what you expect to happen.

I'll fire up FRAPS and see what happens. If something cool or funny happens, I'll toss it on Youtube.

edit: I should add that I'll be on a road trip through the weekend, so I won't be back to flying around space until next week sometime.

edit: I should add that I'll be on a road trip through the weekend, so I won't be back to flying around space until next week sometime.

It's okay, my best design so far has suddenly developed I.M.A.C.S. (Inexplicable Mid-Air Combustion Syndrome) when staging. I can't tell if it's a failure in construction or piloting, since I really only test my designs so far by getting them into a flat, stable Kerbin orbit with a certain quantity of fuel left.

But I'm certainly not ready to post pictures yet, like ChristophBa over in the game thread. Everything I design is a very traditional rocket, with maybe a fancier landing module. I tried building a space plane but don't really understand what they're for. You can't fly a plane into space.

I tried building a space plane but don't really understand what they're for. You can't fly a plane into space.

Hehe. Well what were the shuttles for? They are made to land like a plane on planets with atmosphere.

This is but one reason that man is considered a national treasure in Canada.

What a show off.

Seriously though, awesome video! It can't get much better than that!

Except if he was singing Space Asshole. Does he take requests?