Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Saturday Morning Streams

1) someone please compile a montage video of Nick building and launching spaceships set to this music

2) chris those are not the lyrics to rocketman

That space program was awesome. Also, sorry for correcting someone's spelling of Mun. Apparently that's what it's called in the game*

* I thought it was some new coo spelling of Moon

(The art in the middle's not mine, I just wanted to make something quick)

3Piq1Gc.png

What, no Jake? Or was he not allowed because they thought he was going to get the measles?

While the Kerbal Space Program stream was amazing, a lot of it is quiet time while Nick builds and most of the discussion took place in the chat.  Here are some timestamps for the exciting/hilarious parts:

Part 1

6:20 - Nick launches an imitation of a Jake style craft

30:58 - Launch of Wizard I

35:14 - Nick and Sean discuss some secret plans in Neptune's Pride II

37:00 - Wizard II tests

45:39 - Launch of Wizard II

1:10:10 - Wizard II achieves Mun orbit

1:13:00 - Hilarious EVA

1:48:20 - Chris sings "Space Oddity" and Idle Thumbs loses its kickstarter money to David Bowie

Part 2

1:30 - Launch of Wizard IV

2:10 - Real launch of Wizard IV while Chris sings "Rocket Man"

8:04 - Nick plans some maneuvers while Chris does his version of Shatner's version of "Rocket Man"

10:08 - Wizard IV faces calamity

13:50 - Launch of Wizard V... followed shortly thereafter by the 2nd launch of Wizard V... then the 3rd launch... then the 4th...

24:07 - Final launch of Wizard V

50:50 - Now in orbit around the Mun, Wizard V encounters... problems (with perfect accompanying music by Chris).  The best part is at 52:30

53:50 - Fly Nick to the Mun...

1:09:27 - Wizard II attempts a Mun landing

Feel free to add any I missed.

I was waiting for Chris to break out the REM song, and he chose the perfect time to do so.

PS: Streaming the Twitch.tv app to my new Apple TV is so good. I got to see space on a big screen. And a weird, bug-eyed dude in the lower right corner. It's kind of hilarious that everything else onscreen looks like classic NASA, but then you've got a constant, tiny reminder that these are funky little creatures.

(The art in the middle's not mine, I just wanted to make something quick)

3Piq1Gc.png

The tagline needs to be "It's a container... for storing men."

Is there anyway to get some sort of a mail alert when a twitch-tv channel starts streaming? I've been missing on quite a lot of these...

Is there anyway to get some sort of a mail alert when a twitch-tv channel starts streaming? I've been missing on quite a lot of these...

Yeah I think if you subscribe to a channel you can have it alert you.

I just finished the stream while getting ready for bed. Nick's fury during the second video at 52:30 is nothing less than cinematic.

That was an incredible stream, guys. I was going to post last week about how I could watch you play Full Throttle for an eternity, but I could watch you play Kerbal Space Program for several eternities, especially with musical accompaniment.

Super envious of Chris's easy familiarity with mr guitar. I can play around with some instruments enough to come up with ideas for things to do in electronic composing tools or with a lot of practice perform a piece of moderate complexity, but I can't burst out into song with any kind of spontaneity. It's a skill I'd like to develop, but uh I have a lot of skills like that and I need to prioritize. Maybe in a year or two.

Any particular thoughts on how to approach building skill or just spend time with the instrument practicing?

Super envious of Chris's easy familiarity with mr guitar.

I found it kind of hilarious that Chris knows so many songs about space.

Also, legitimately moved by his performance of Space Oddity.

Also, if you install the ios app (or android app, I assume, if that exists) it'll alert you when a followed channel goes online.

What was incredible is he didn't know most of those songs and then went and learned them, on the fly, while Nick was building and was playing them 5 minutes later. Bonkers.

So this is what all the cool kids are watching. I've just made a twitch account so I can follow the thumbs. Sucks that the archive is all in Flash and they can't be watched in the iPad app.

I wonder if the videos could be ripped with some browser plug in and posted on the youtubes hint hint

So this is what all the cool kids are watching. I've just made a twitch account so I can follow the thumbs. Sucks that the archive is all in Flash and they can't be watched in the iPad app.

I wonder if the videos could be ripped with some browser plug in and posted on the youtubes hint hint

Twitch supports YouTube export officially. We should consider moving at least some highlights over there.

I don't really; I had never played Rocketman or Man on the Moon before. I'm not sure I'd ever played Space Oddity all the way through either. (Also thanks!)

Twitch supports YouTube export officially. We should consider moving at least some highlights over there.

We should probably take some time and make watchable edits of some of these, including this one. You can't really do that with the Twitch highlight tools, because you can't edit and combine multi-part broadcasts.

2) chris those are not the lyrics to rocketman

Haha really? I just found the lyrics on the internet. What did I get wrong?

We should probably take some time and make watchable edits of some of these, including this one. You can't really do that with the Twitch highlight tools, because you can't edit and combine multi-part broadcasts.

That is totally awesome and I would appreciate it. Twitch doesn't work well for me at all.

I was confused as to why Chris was playing '39, which prompted me to look it up on Wikipedia.

"'39" was May's attempt to do "sci-fi skiffle". "'39" relates the tale of a group of space explorers who embark on what is, from their perspective, a year-long voyage. Upon their return, however, they realise that a hundred years have passed, because of the time dilation effect in Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity, and the loved ones they left behind are now all dead. Because the "year of '39" resembles 1939, some[5] have speculated that this is actually a song about the beginning of the Second World War but this is not the case.

You learn something new every day. I used to listen to A Night at the Opera A LOT when I was in high school, and always assumed it was about WW2.

I'd very much love this as well!

I was confused as to why Chris was playing '39, which prompted me to look it up on Wikipedia.

You learn something new every day. I used to listen to A Night at the Opera A LOT when I was in high school, and always assumed it was about WW2.

More directly, it was because someone requested it in chat. It's a great song though, and yeah I used to listen to that album a lot as well in high school.

More directly, it was because someone requested it in chat. It's a great song though, and yeah I used to listen to that album a lot as well in high school.

I was the one who requested it, and the only reason I knew it was space-related was because of a tweet Chris (maybe Nick?) made a couple months back.

I fully endorse twitch to youtube streams, but any Kerbal Space Program highlight reel will fail in capturing the hilarious "Nick you just lost all your fuel" comments in chat before Nick's actual realization, unfortunately.

Haha really? I just found the lyrics on the internet. What did I get wrong?

Just little things, like singing "touchdown brings me back around to find" instead of "touchdown brings me 'round again to find," but it was just off enough to tug at a nerve every time.

What was incredible is he didn't know most of those songs and then went and learned them, on the fly, while Nick was building and was playing them 5 minutes later. Bonkers.

Jesus.

I've always wanted to learn how to play an instrument, but I don't think I'll ever be this good.