Jake

New Forums! Post feedback, notes, etc here

Yo, for people asking about changing the number of posts per page (and also happen to use the Chrome browser), might I suggest the AutoPatchwork extension? As you scroll down, it'll automatically load the next page of posts on a number of websites and types of forum software. I dig it.

Does spoiler text work better now?

I hope so.

How about soiler tags? Good, good

The on-again off-again relationship between the front page and the 'Change theme' option should be back on. I think I've found a forum bug that caused it to go away when we moved a theme around.

I have a very serious complaint to make: You've removed the feature where I got to click the edit post button twice before it actually did anything. Half the clicks equals half the fun.

I have a very serious complaint to make: You've removed the feature where I got to click the edit post button twice before it actually did anything. Half the clicks equals half the fun.

I love it when software has wacky glitchy behavior. The VLC (but not other players) in the Ubuntu TV box that sits in my living room will exhibit some sort of horrible short-circuity audio static with certain types of files—we've figured out that we can fix it if we click ahead in the timeline, and then scrub back to the beginning of the video. :sartre: ??¿?!

So hey, I noticed this thing. MYSTERY??

Ah, that's just flash being a dick. Which can be easily fixed by using the new embed code, not this crappy <object> mess.

thinga.jpg

So hey, I noticed this thing.

But then how will people know how important I am and also the size of my ePeen? :molyneuxcrown:

A MYSTERY??

Funnily enough I reported this as a bug to IP.Board a few days ago. In the meantime it can probably be fixed if the embed code is adjusted to use a wmode of 'opaque'.

I like that PiratePoo's name no longer breaks the forum.

I'll hold of on comments about the look until you guys get the theme in order.

My only feedback is that the forums now look super sweet. But then I wasn't a member of the forums until the Kickstarter essentially forced me to join (listened to the cast long before that though), so I don't have the same attachment to the old theme as some of you do.

Oh, you know what would be neat? If pressing J or K while browsing the forums jumped to the next/prev post on the page. This forum doesn't seem to come with jQuery and I don't know if the bandwidth hit is worth the functionality... but maybe we can bake together a little something easy to swallow using Goog's closure compiler. Maybe there is a ready plugin that does this.

Yo, for people asking about changing the number of posts per page (and also happen to use the Chrome browser), might I suggest the AutoPatchwork extension? As you scroll down, it'll automatically load the next page of posts on a number of websites and types of forum software. I dig it.

Cheers for that, does the trick here and elsewhere nicely :tup:

Cheers for that, does the trick here and elsewhere nicely :tup:

Cool! Yeah, I've found it usually works pretty well, and can be disabled easily (on a per-site basis) when you end up somewhere where the extension freaks out or doesn't play nice.

Just a small thing: is there a way to jump laterally between fora? It's not a big deal to go back up to the top of the tree, but my habitual method of navigation is using the drop-down box some forum software has towards the bottom-right.

I'm really enjoying the new software in both aesthetic and functional terms, anyway.

Just a small thing: is there a way to jump laterally between fora? It's not a big deal to go back up to the top of the tree, but my habitual method of navigation is using the drop-down box some forum software has towards the bottom-right.

I'm really enjoying the new software in both aesthetic and functional terms, anyway.

The little location icon to the right of the New Content link has one-click access to all subforums.

Cool! Yeah, I've found it usually works pretty well, and can be disabled easily (on a per-site basis) when you end up somewhere where the extension freaks out or doesn't play nice.

So... does that mean that there isn't a forum setting here for the number of posts per page? No offense, but I really hate extension bloat and don't really want to have to install an extension if there's just a setting somewhere I haven't found or y'all haven't enabled.

Oops, mis-post. I miss being able to delete my own posts.

Edited by DrWaffles

So... does that mean that there isn't a forum setting here for the number of posts per page? No offense, but I really hate extension bloat and don't really want to have to install an extension if there's just a setting somewhere I haven't found or y'all haven't enabled.

None taken! I didn't intend my post to mean anything beyond my own fawning over a thing I thought was neat; sorry if it came off as anything resembling a definitive answer. I don't really have any insight into the forum installation/administration nitty-gritty, but I checked my own user options and didn't see anything that would let me adjust the amount of posts per page. My guess is that there isn't anything like that on a per-person level, but I dunno!

Oops, mis-post. I miss being able to delete my own posts.

You should have the ability to hide your own posts now.

The new forum is looking really snappy! I like it a lot, I was going to complain that the join date of user is no longer visible, but at least it can be seen when viewing a user's profile.

If people start changing their names a lot now, how do we (I) know who is who?

you can see the name history on the user's profile page.

The little location icon to the right of the New Content link has one-click access to all subforums.

It'd be great to have this at the bottom of the thread, especially on the mobile version.

Speaking of which, if you use the 'go to first unread' blue circle on the mobile thread, you then don't get a previous and next button at the bottom of the thread.

The way I like to read forums (and it seems this is not as standard as I once assumed) is to go to the oldest unread topic, hit 'go to first unread' and then use the 'next' button to skip directly to the first unread post on the next newest thread, working my way up until I've read everything. The new forums seem to have made this a lot easier, so thank you! It's just that problem above that stops me from doing the same on the mobile version.

Also, I haven't checked yet whether this still happens, but it used to be annoying when I was using that method and would get to one of the sticky threads halfway through which was chronologically correct, but then be told there are no newer threads than that one, and have to exit back out of it and recommence making my way up. If this fixed, THANK YOU!