Jake

New Forums! Post feedback, notes, etc here

Is the forum software free, or is there a subscription fee, or what?

Ah... good old Jelsoft.... wait, this isn't Jelsoft!?

At least know we know what the deal is rather than a 'this is not a feature' type response. Bit of a pain in the arse, but something to look forward to I guess? ;(

It might just be my browser (Chrome) or even just my laptop (I haven't really been tracking the problem or anything), but sometimes when I leave a tab open for a while, either because I'm reading a long post, or my habit to open up fifty tabs at once and get to them in my own time, I can't use the quick reply. I can type up as much as I want, but the "Post" button does nothing!

Sometimes, though (like now), it says "Saving post..." but then doesn't actually perform the posting... action. So I copy, refresh, paste, post, and it works!

Why don't the forums use the Puffin icon?

I only made the Puffin icon when I was coding up the blog, so it has only existed for the last few days. I got tired of the weird blood splat icon. We could probably implement elsewhere if the other Thumbs want to! (I don't know if they do)

I only made the Puffin icon when I was coding up the blog, so it has only existed for the last few days. I got tired of the weird blood splat icon. We could probably implement elsewhere if the other Thumbs want to! (I don't know if they do)

It's pretty glorious...

I'm afraid of change. At least do something to the blueish background.

The new spoiler tag makes me not read spoilers ever, even when I kinda would want to. Is this just some random temporary wackiness or the new order of things? The olden redacted stripes were more satisfying to unredact somehow.

I think that's what they were like when the forums were first upgraded, then someone mentioned it and they were made into inline black stripes. Inline is much better.

They stopped working at some point. The current spoiler thing is just bad.

I used to have a setting of 40 posts per page or something, on the old forums. I kind of liked it that way -- less and longer pages --, except when anyone talked about being "on page X", that number was always wrong for me. I've stuck with the defaults on the new forums, but starting to think that maybe I should go back to 40 per page... except now that I looked, I can't find such a setting anywhere... Is there one?

There is not, or if there is, it is so hidden no-one knows about it; I and someone else asked about it early after the change and the consensus was a bit of a Gallic shrug.

The only problem I have with the redacted bars being gone is that you have to separate your spoilers into cohesive paragraphs instead of subtracted a couple of words from something that could possibly spoil.

Trying out some new css/js for

spoiler blocks

(after the old code was lost in an upgrade). Let me know how this works for people. It should cover larger contained items like images by wrapping everything in a span with visibility:hidden. The background color can ger weird in those circumstances, but it seems better than it was in any case. Thoughts?

(Would it be better if revealed spoilers still had some indication that they were redacted, like a very light gray background, or an outline?)

this

is

a

test

!

██████

██▌▐█

▓▒░

Little_Nemo_Flip_2.jpg

Neat! It's back, thanks Tabacco!

(Would it be better if revealed spoilers still had some indication that they were redacted, like a very light gray background, or an outline?)

I would like that only because a few times in the past I have revealed spoilers only to forget what section I revealed, causing me to have to refresh the page.

It's probably a bit too much, but it would be cool if there was an embedded Flash (or Silverlight) mini-game in which the message has been written in a notebook, and you have to drag a virtual pencil back and forth to reveal it. It could be linked into a whole forum meta-game in which you take on a "persona" and group up with other people to do quests andFruit%20Stilleven%20klaar1a%2026-04-06.jpg

I am pleased with this spoiler change. There is some element-reshuffling-and-resizing (TECHNICAL TERM) going on in the mobile style, even wIth text spoilers where the underlying text is the same size as the spoiler block. I think that is unavoidable.

A dotted outline/underline would be handy, if only to keep it from feeling amnesiac.

Maybe it's too well hidden for my bat-senses, but there still is no link to the main site from the forums, no? As there is stuff happening outside of those jolly forums now, I have to check those places at least sometimes.

And it's annoying that I have to manually remove 'forums/'. A second bookmark, just for the main site, don't be ridiculous!