Jake

New Forums! Post feedback, notes, etc here

Maybe it's too well hidden for my bat-senses, but there still is no link to the main site from the forums, no? As there is stuff happening outside of those jolly forums now, I have to check those places at least sometimes.

And it's annoying that I have to manually remove 'forums/'. A second bookmark, just for the main site, don't be ridiculous!

What, no, I didn't want to post that twice. It is probably a glitch in the Matrix, you see, like they happened a lot in the late 90s.

Maybe it's too well hidden for my bat-senses, but there still is no link to the main site from the forums, no? As there is stuff happening outside of those jolly forums now, I have to check those places at least sometimes.

And it's annoying that I have to manually remove 'forums/'. A second bookmark, just for the main site, don't be ridiculous!

Could you clarify the thing in smaller text? Is that not the same complaint as the previous one, or am I misreading it?

And yeah there's no main site link. I don't know why we haven't put one in yet. We need to remember to do that.

Like me, castorp has probably bookmarked Idle Forums and not the main site because that is where most of the activity is. If you want to see the blog, you have to remove "forums/" in the address bar because there is no link for the main site. At least I think that was what he meant..

Like me, castorp has probably bookmarked Idle Forums and not the main site because that is where most of the activity is. If you want to see the blog, you have to remove "forums/" in the address bar because there is no link for the main site. At least I think that was what he meant..

That is exactly what I meant. Thank you for clarifying, I probably would have ended up using small text and "humour", just deepening the problem.

Maybe I'm still not understanding something, but wouldn't that still be fixed by addressing the first complaint?

Maybe I'm still not understanding something

Yes.

complaint

Äh? Oh, maybe I again forgot to add a :) to my silly remarks.

Maybe I'm still not understanding something, but wouldn't that still be fixed by addressing the first complaint?

I think the issue is you're reading it as two separate complaints. :tup:

Just use #jk or #lulz.

I find tags like that essential for proper online communication #sarcy # maybe

I tried logging in with my old username (HTRM Repairman) from who knows how long ago, and it logged me in, but every forum page is forbidden. I have no access to anything, including account pages. I just looked at the member list and I am not listed. I tried re-registering but it said my email is in use. Is there some way to fix this, as I would prefer to use that same email and usename.

Your other account should be able to post again. It looks like it garbage collected with a bunch of other accounts we cleaned up that were old and had no posts (burn).

Yeah, I think they locked down a bunch of really old, inactive accounts.

Accidentally clicking on the video game music thread made me come up with the most brilliant of ideas; instead of directly embedding Youtube, how about putting a little thing that embeds Youtube when you click it? Maybe this could be done when the number of embedde Youtube players exceeds some limit, I don't know. Just an idea; I don't know if it's even doable within the forum framework.

not really a suggestion for the forums per se, but would it be possible to get notification of the twitch.tv sessions in the rss feed?

(after-the-fact when they are archived or whatever would be fine too if that is any easier).

Yeah, I just saw people talking about the Day Z stuff and discovered that I didn't even know there was an FTL one as well. Some kind of notification would be nice.

You can get Twitch.tv notifications to an extent by signing up for an account there and loving Idle Thumbs (or favoriting or whatever they call it). They'll email you notification whenever a broadcast is starting. The iOS app also offers push-notifications to the same effect. For more advance warning, you might want to add the Idle Thumbs blog RSS feed: http://blog.idlethumbs.net/rss

And of course, there's @idlethumbs, etc. They've been pretty good about blasting plenty of advanced notification for the last few livestreams.

Accidentally clicking on the video game music thread made me come up with the most brilliant of ideas; instead of directly embedding Youtube, how about putting a little thing that embeds Youtube when you click it? Maybe this could be done when the number of embedde Youtube players exceeds some limit, I don't know. Just an idea; I don't know if it's even doable within the forum framework.

This is a nice idea, seeing as a whole load of Flash embeds can be quite heavy. Even better would be if it showed the video's thumbnail image which I think can be fetched via their web service. Bit of work, though. :fart:

For more advance warning, you might want to add the Idle Thumbs blog RSS feed: http://blog.idlethumbs.net/rss

Yeah I already follow that, but I guess I was hoping for the opposite of advance warning as I can rarely watch them live and would prefer a "here is a thing that has been archived and you can go watch now" but if it involves manual work on somebody's part, don't worry about it. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask in case there was a way to automate that.

I apologize if this has been mentioned (I have not read through the thread) but the frowny face smiley (the colon plus the open parentheses) is kind of... not frowny. It looks like this :(

It would be good if I didn't look psychotic when I wanted to look sad :(

It would be good if I didn't look psychotic when I wanted to look sad :(

That's what you think.

I'd be interested to know whether other long-standing Thumbs still see that as an angry face or if it gets directly translated into a sad face in their head. And whether they use it to mean "sadface" knowing others will auto-translate, or whether they only use it for "angry face".