Jake

New Forums! Post feedback, notes, etc here

Oh hey, this new board autosaves posts while you're typing them up?

It's like the future!

I have definitely lost a lengthy post or two for varying reasons.

The "view new content tab" is also awesome.

I am mostly okay with this new board.

Snazzy. Tell me Thumbs, what are your tricks to catch up and respond to threads you've participated in. The "New Content" seems like a good start and the "Go to first unread post" will be useful. Are those the Jesus features we've been waiting for? I've gotten used to some threaded discussion boards and this format seems harder to quickly scan.

It doesn't matter though, quoted posts no longer have a broken image, which is all I've ever wanted in life.

Snazzy. Tell me Thumbs, what are your tricks to catch up and respond to threads you've participated in. The "New Content" seems like a good start and the "Go to first unread post" will be useful. Are those the Jesus features we've been waiting for? I've gotten used to some threaded discussion boards and this format seems harder to quickly scan.

It doesn't matter though, quoted posts no longer have a broken image, which is all I've ever wanted in life.

I've pretty much only ever browsed the Thumbs forums using the New Posts button. The new View New Content feature seems way better than that, so I'm set.

I tend to traverse the board depth-first: I work my way up from the last forum (i.e. starting with the TMA ones and ending with Video Gaming), and in each forum I click on the little "go to last post" icon and read everything. I just realized this means I've read every post made on this board the last three or four years.

I actually browsed the old forums (and any forum) looking for the bolded thread tags indicating that there were new posts. I can't do that because now everything is bold! :violin:

Wow, look at Chris with his two stars. What is this, the army?

No. You can't also mark the new forum with a new profile picture. Goddamnit toblix.

All I need is those new post stars to be bigger and fucking red! I'm good then.

Quoted for extreme thruth.

Wow, look at Chris with his two stars. What is this, the army?

Just means he has two knock-out punches stored up.

I know you said that the styling is in flux, but I'd do something about that bootstrap style header bar gradient. And the padding on .main_width is a bit much. I tried changing it to 99% instead of 90 and it's alright. 100% seems to cause problems as other elements have wrapped it, and bring scrollbars into play, which further extends the content.

It'd be nice if you were able to change the forum listing to give a bit more promotion to the sub forums. Multiplayer Networking right now seems rather small, and I don't know how many forums there will be here, but I feel like there is enough vertical real-estate to give them a bit more.

actually i take that second part back. The way the sub forums show up in the main forum is probably more exposure than they got before.

I too rely on new posts/new content to read the forums. The only thing I miss is a "Mark forums read" button, and I had to spelunk a bit to find out how to turn sigs off (User > Settings > Ignore preferences > check box at top).

Other than that, IP.Board seems to be great.

I too rely on new posts/new content to read the forums. The only thing I miss is a "Mark forums read" button, and I had to spelunk a bit to find out how to turn sigs off (User > Settings > Ignore preferences > check box at top).

Other than that, IP.Board seems to be great.

There's a bit at the bottom of the page for that -- Mark Community Read. =)

Oh wow. Thanks. In that case, this seems to be perfect and lovely.

Attachment limits are low. I'm at 8mb total, which is 1600% of what I'm apparently allowed.

I'm pretty much delighted to see IP.Board in use now, being in the process of switching my own forum over to it (phpBB ¬¬). I've thought it to be ahead of vBulletin for a long time and am amazed more large forums haven't made the jump. Regardless of what quirks arise, this is a splendid move! :tup:

Spoilers

as a part of a sentence don't work that well. Also, can you add a spoiler button to the edit toolbar, so that no-one has to ask how they are made anymore?

Also, if there is a way to delete your own posts, I'm not sure I can find it.

Also, has anybody seen the mobile version. I guess IP Board comes with that out of the box.

Yeah, I saw it. It's good, but I couldn't figure out how to go from normal back to mobile.

On the whole, I just want to say that I really really like the new forum. In my eyes, it's pretty much perfect in every way that I can think of. Great work, guys.

There seems to be a problem on mobiles wherein, having chosen to check out the new-look, I can't switch back to the mobile mode. I freely admit this may be a problem with the guy holding the phone, rather than the forum software itself. Any ideas?

Yeah there definitely is a way to go back to the mobile theme, as I've used it on another site with this type of forum. I think it's near the bottom of the main page.

I like how everyone is suddenly super secretive about their gender.

I like how everyone is suddenly super secretive about their gender.

shhhh. Not Telling.

We accidentally turned off the ability to switch back to the mobile theme. Will fix shortly.

Many of the values (attachment and avatar limits, number of PMs, etc) are still at default.

Spoiler tags need to be reformatted to use the old inline style.

Angry tomato needs to be reinstated.

Get rid of Bootstrap style gradient left over from the default theme.

Need to look into deleting posts.

Fix avatar sizes.

If that's an exhaustive list, it should probably include those weird square avatars.