gdf

Life

I quit discussing the reasons for being a vegetarian ages ago. It's a lot less controversial of course, but it's just such a pointless, dull conversation.

Didn't make me quit though. But I understand the desire.

Yeah, I found out very quick that that was a discussion I should never willingly start. I was excited at first to talk about how great it was and how much better it made me feel but after about 2 of those conversations I realized that the person on the other end had no interest in hearing what I had to say and was instead determined to chastise me for what they perceived as some kind of "high and mighty" attitude. Unfortunately, even trying to keep it a secret, I have still been chastised by just about everyone when they find out.

People don't like vegans because vegans are correct and it makes them feel bad about themselves for not doing the right thing.

I really don't know what makes veganism more or less correct than any other consumption choices, but it has to be so difficult to do and I feel for the people who have chosen to do it. Keeping Kosher outside of communities that explicitly support you is nearly impossible, and that's something with literally thousands of years of history and support.

When I was younger I kept kosher and I'd always get comments like "I can't imagine eating pizza without peperoni!" or "I'd die if I couldn't eat shrimp anymore". It didn't take long for me to get so tired of that and the ensuing conversation so I can imagine your frustration, especially since relative to veganism keeping kosher is pretty lax (depending on your level of observance). That being said, if you really think it's the right dietary choice, then fuck the haters, especially since it doesn't sound like you come off like an ass when you explain yourself.

Completely derailing this and speaking of pepperoni, how in the world did that become the topping for pizza? Little kids should hate pepperoni! It's spicy and greasy. And yet it is a staple foodstuff at 7 year old's birthday parties. When people discuss pizza toppings, most discussions start with "Pepperoni and..." Some people only like pepperoni! It baffles me.

On a tangential note, I recently came to the conclusion I've had my fill, for the rest of my life, of discussing diets and which foodstuffs are good and which foodstuffs are bad during lunch. I realized it had been making up 50% of all conversation at work during lunch break. It's the most exhausting thing: everyong agrees anyway, everyone knows everything that is being said before it's said; it's a pointless and boring play of self-flattery.

So Kanye West's first single was 'Through the Wire,' which he made after a car accident left him with his jaw wired shut. It's an uplifting song about overcoming bad stuff.

I bring this up b/c today I had my last of three visits to the dentist and as I was finishing up, the song that he sampled on that single- Chaka Khan's 'Through the Fire'- started playing. Got me in good mood.

I kind of loathe talking about my diet, so avoid it at, unless it comes up as a matter of necessity or has a really strong bearing on a conversation. 

Completely derailing this and speaking of pepperoni, how in the world did that become the topping for pizza? Little kids should hate pepperoni! It's spicy and greasy. And yet it is a staple foodstuff at 7 year old's birthday parties. When people discuss pizza toppings, most discussions start with "Pepperoni and..." Some people only like pepperoni! It baffles me.

In other news, I'm about to sign the lease for a new apartment. The rent is literally twice as much as my current place, but it's an upgrade I can just afford. Still very nervous about this new endeavour. IDK, trying to calm down and work today, but it's been tough.

People don't like vegans because vegans are correct and it makes them feel bad about themselves for not doing the right thing.

lol ok

I don't mind people being vegan, it doesn't bother me in the least.  It's something I'll never do, but that really means nothing.  The only ones that bother me are the ones that feel the need to lecture me on why they're right and I'm wrong.  Of course that's also true about politics, religion, tastes, etc.

Yeah, even after i started eating pork I didn't really get the big deal. Everyone knows the best pizza is jalapeno and *********. Bacon is similarly overrated.

Edit: this forum censors pine-apple???

Yeah, even after i started eating pork I didn't really get the big deal. Everyone knows the best pizza is jalapeno and *********. Bacon is similarly overrated.

Edit: this forum censors pine-apple???

I love watching people discover this fact for the first time.

Videogames. MOBA, pineapple? Videoapplegamespine. Politically correct!

Vegetarians seem to get much less shit than vegans, mostly because there's a wide range of reasons why one could become a vegetarian, but there's very few that carry over to veganism and they all involve a moral judgement on the use of animal products. (There's also the related subject that many vegans people come into contact with are fairly militant about it.) Most of my vegetarian friends have essentially made a moral stance, but they generally are asking 'did the animal suffer for this and how comfortable am I with this?' So my housemate won't eat any kind of meat because he doesn't get that much out of being the beneficiary of a cow's death, and will get cruelty-free eggs, but he will wear a leather hat because, with 20+ years of use, that cow did not die in vain, and he'll eat cheese because it's non-invasive.

I think you should only sustain lifestyle choices that you're comfortable with. I don't think this means you have to give up your morals about eating meat; if it's mostly about the hostile reaction you get, and you're otherwise getting enough iron, then maybe say you're a vegetarian that doesn't like dairy? After being a vegan for a while dairy's going to be weird anyway. But I don't know your specific situation and how much you'd have to compromise to please the people you want to keep in your life.

An old one goes: How do you know there's a vegan at a party?

They'll tell you

A friend's update: How do you know there's a meat eater at a party?

They're usually bullying the vegan.

I love watching people discover this fact for the first time.

Pineapple censorship is one of my favourite things about the Idle Thumbs forums :tup: