gdf

Life

Yesterday's run kind of flew by. Done before I knew it. I do watch Netflix (currently that's when I watch X-Files) while running, but days one and two seemed to drag despite the distraction. Day three was pew pew done. And I felt pretty good at the end. It almost feels like the C25K program is going too slow, but I guess we'll see how I feel once week two begins. It's only nine weeks total, anyway, so even if it is going too slow, it's not going THAT slow. Once I reach the nine weeks and finish, I want to start running every day instead of every other-ish day.

Does anyone have an opinion on barefoot running? Or, at least with those weird toed shoes that are gross to look at oh man. I've been running barefoot on the treadmill (surprisingly not a problem after the third day, although I had a lot of pain on the bottom of my feet after the first day), and I just realized as I was thinking about running outside on Monday that I don't have running shoes. I don't think I'd ever do it pure barefoot because I don't want to step on a rock or anything worse than a rock, but I'm wondering if it's at all worth considering buying those weird gross shoes that are toed.

Maybe I should start an exercise thread, at this point. But I don't want to start a habit of starting threads so I probably won't.

You want running shoes - there's valuable cushioning in them that will keep your knees and joints from knocking around so much.

You had a good run! Awesome! Stick to the program, though; you'll have off days as well as great days, and the combination of an off day and a program harder than you think you should be capable of can be very discouraging. Give your body time to grow into your new routine.

I've had running shoes and run regularly before (well, regularly being about two weeks before falling off), and my knees have actually hurt quite a bit from that. But I dunno if those were extenuating circumstances. My joints haven't hurt at all so far. Just been sore muscles and a some harshly rubbed skin.

(Not trying to be contrarian, just sort of making observations!)

I want to just tell you that you are worth a great magnitude, but you probably won't believe me; you'll have to convince yourself. One of the things I'm really grateful of is that I an currently in a position where I feel appreciated, find one of these. Ideally you would have a place where you can both feel appreciated and earn enough currency to pay for the ability to live in society, but oddly such circumstances can be difficult to find. So you may consider just finding a place where you can earn currency and finding another place where you are appreciated. It seems that you are working on the currency-source, but I know that in my personal history, I have conflated the two and have concentrated on finding a source of currency at the expense of finding a place I am appreciated. This is problematic because lacking a place where you feel appreciated over a period of time can make you less attractive to employers.

Luckily, it is not very difficult to find opportunities to provide free-labor. While these do not necessarily lead to being appreciated, they do provide ways into circumstances to figure out whether or not it is a place where you may be appreciated.

I recommend thinking of a thing you enjoy doing, a place you want to hang out, or a cause you can get behind. Then go to the institution where this is happening and volunteer some of your time as you continue your search for income. If you feel that you are being taken advantage of, leave. I guarantee you Ucantalas, that there is a situation that can benefit from your particular perspective and efforts. Staying somewhere that treats you like shit is robbing the place that would appreciate you of their well-deserved Ucantalasity.

Get specific as you experiment.

-Can't stand the idea that some people can't afford food? Find a group that feeds the hungry.

-Want to make games? Become very active in a game-making community

-Are you particularly good knitting? Start making hats for bald people you meet.

These efforts may lead you to sources of money, but more importantly, they will remind you that you are fucking awesome and increase your awesomeness (as long as you put effort into not to being an asshole too. Being an asshole takes bites out of your awesomeness, but if you fuck up by being an asshole, don't give up. Stop being an asshole and find circumstances in which you are appreciated to increase your awesomeness even though you lost a lot of it).

I just wanted to say thanks for the reply. I don't really have anything back to say, I just wanted to acknowledge that I read and appreciated your post.

I've had running shoes and run regularly before (well, regularly being about two weeks before falling off), and my knees have actually hurt quite a bit from that. But I dunno if those were extenuating circumstances. My joints haven't hurt at all so far. Just been sore muscles and a some harshly rubbed skin.

(Not trying to be contrarian, just sort of making observations!)

I don't know much about barefoot running, but if you do it in conventional shoes they'll make a bigger difference than you think.

I used to get a lot of running injuries, and found out it was because I was running in shoes that gave too much support. When I swapped them for something else, I could run a lot further and stopped fucking up my legs and feet. A running shop will give good advice, but you can determine most things yourself by reading up on supination and over-pronation, doing a wet footprint test, and looking at the wear patterns on other shoes you own.

Does anyone have an opinion on barefoot running? Or, at least with those weird toed shoes that are gross to look at oh man. I've been running barefoot on the treadmill (surprisingly not a problem after the third day, although I had a lot of pain on the bottom of my feet after the first day), and I just realized as I was thinking about running outside on Monday that I don't have running shoes. I don't think I'd ever do it pure barefoot because I don't want to step on a rock or anything worse than a rock, but I'm wondering if it's at all worth considering buying those weird gross shoes that are toed.

I tried barefoot running for a bit. One of the big things I learned doing it is that you need a totally different running form if you're going to do it (traditionally you run where the heel hits first, then the toe, but when barefoot you should try to run so the ball of your foot hits first because it can take the impact better). The thing about this different ruining form thing is that it requires a different set of muscles than running or walking with shoes (your calves will probably feel like they are on fire afterwards). I guess the idea is that the way we run out walk with shoes is an unnatural thing we've adapted. Either way, I tried it for a month or so, running outside while barefoot. I got sick of how dirty my feet got and the constant dread of broken glass.

Not sure why I wrote all that. Oh well.

Sorry to double post but...

I start the written portion of my Ph.D. candidacy exams tomorrow, and I could not be more freaked out. I feel like I have no idea what's coming or what to expect. I've read the stuff I've supposed to read and I am confident that I understand what's going on in my field, but that doesn't stop me from feeling like there's a giant scary thing crushing my chest and making it hard to breath. Hooray for anxiety.

I start the written portion of my Ph.D. candidacy exams tomorrow, and I could not be more freaked out. I feel like I have no idea what's coming or what to expect. I've read the stuff I've supposed to read and I am confident that I understand what's going on in my field, but that doesn't stop me from feeling like there's a giant scary thing crushing my chest and making it hard to breath. Hooray for anxiety.

I feel you. The best advice I got from a prof on my board, the advice that I give to every incoming cohort, is to study nothing the evening before. Have a fantastic meal, do something you love, and come into the writtens and orals as free of stress as possible. If your department's anything like mine, having an easy and lucid way about you is more important than having memorized all the sieges of Constantinople until its fall in 1453. Good luck!

I feel you. The best advice I got from a prof on my board, the advice that I give to every incoming cohort, is to study nothing the evening before. Have a fantastic meal, do something you love, and come into the writtens and orals as free of stress as possible. If your department's anything like mine, having an easy and lucid way about you is more important than having memorized all the sieges of Constantinople until its fall in 1453. Good luck!

If you've spent years and years dedicating yourself to something, and then with 12 hours to go you don't think you're ready, you're not ready.

Thankfully, I have complete confidence in you prettyunsmart! You got this. Get that doctorate.

If you've spent years and years dedicating yourself to something, and then with 12 hours to go you don't think you're ready, you're not ready.

Thankfully, I have complete confidence in you prettyunsmart! You got this. Get that doctorate.

Thanks? The first sentence sounds kind of damning, but the second is nice. 

Anyway, intellectually I know I'm ready. That just doesn't stop anxiety from happening.

Thanks? The first sentence sounds kind of damning, but the second is nice. 

Anyway, intellectually I know I'm ready. That just doesn't stop anxiety from happening.

Well you said you were ready. I trusted you. :)

Oh god I woke up and realized I had to run and then realized how little I want to do it today. Haaaaaaaaaa.

Here we go!

Oh god I woke up and realized I had to run and then realized how little I want to do it today. Haaaaaaaaaa.

Here we go!

I read that in Gilbert Goddfrey's voice for some reason, and it was pretty hilarious.

You have my permission to read all of my posts on this forum and elsewhere in in the manner and speech of Gilbert Goddfrey.

You have my permission to read all of my posts on this forum and elsewhere in in the manner and speech of Gilbert Goddfrey.

Since I'm not familiar with his comedy, I'll probably do that and picture you as the parrot from Aladdin

Seems legit.

Hey twig, would I be robbing you of invisible internet points if I made an exercise thread? You said you thought about it but probably wouldn't but I think it is totally worth having.

I care so little it's like I could care less.

If I had a nickle for the amount of times people assumed I was white because of my first name, I'd be this guy, except, well, I'm not white like him. 

I'm Latino/Hispanic btw. Also, Big Dog be creepin'!

If I had a nickle for the amount of times people assumed I was white because of my first name, I'd be this guy, except, well, being white.

I have what was historically a non-gendered first name, that has become almost entirely female dominated in the last 20-30 years.  So well over half of my online/email contact online results in people assuming they are talking to a woman.  It's steadily getting worse, I get ID'd just using my credit card, questioned when I pick up a prescription, etc. 

It's not something that makes me mad though.  I mostly just find it fascinating to see the reactions when people are corrected, and if there are any differences in how people communicate with me.

So recently I've started to scale back on the whole vegan thing. Don't get me wrong, it is still a lifestyle I prefer and I don't really have much desire to eat non-vegan food (cheese is still my favorite food ever but I could go the rest of my life without it and not be bothered in the slightest) but I've grown very weary of the backlash from just about every human being I've come into contact with on this subject. It's been about two years now and aside from close friends and family, it has been made clear to me that just about all of society has zero tolerance for people that don't consume animal products. I would have thought people would at least attempt to mask their disdain and try to be respectful but I think there is such unanimous hatred for vegans that people feel that they can make snide remarks and directly insult you without any fear of backlash because even vegans are supposed to understand how ridiculous their lifestyle is.

I'm fucking tired of it. Even on these most excellent forums I haven't been able to escape being the butt of the joke for choosing to live that lifestyle. I try to just keep it to myself but with food being such a social thing, people immediately notice when I ask for no cheese on something and then start with their questions followed by a lecture on why being a vegan is fucking stupid and pointless. 

So fuck it, macaroni and cheese (with Sriracha) is back on the menu. I'll just try to keep at it when I'm not around other people.

And now that I think about it, maybe I am a hipster and this post should have gone in the hipster thread.

People don't like vegans because vegans are correct and it makes them feel bad about themselves for not doing the right thing.

People don't like vegans because vegans are correct and it makes them feel bad about themselves for not doing the right thing.

I think people tend to be hostile to anyone whose convictions seem to condemn them. I also think it's a really immature thing to care about what another person does or doesn't eat. It's just one star in our own personal galaxy of morality, anyway.

I quit discussing the reasons for being a vegetarian ages ago. It's a lot less controversial of course, but it's just such a pointless, dull conversation.

Didn't make me quit though. But I understand the desire.