gdf

Life

I hate jogging. It's the most mindless, boring exercise activity. That combined with the fact that it's the lowest point of entry to making sure I do cardio is basically the worst thing ever.

I listen to Tone Control.

I hate jogging. It's the most mindless, boring exercise activity. That combined with the fact that it's the lowest point of entry to making sure I do cardio is basically the worst thing ever.

That's exactly how I feel. Nothing helps. I just haaaaaate it.

My solution was to find a squash partner. You can't get better exercise than that pretty much and it's fun as hell.

My solution was to find a squash partner. You can't get better exercise than that pretty much and it's fun as hell.

It does make you feel like an 80's businessman or banker though.

I feel like I haven't posted in this thread for a while, so here goes:

I'm doing okay, largely. Bummed out about a woman - what's new there? - and feeling incredibly snowed under by the weight of my dissertation (with my first draft due in 10 days, and my final piece due in exactly one month), but largely level-headed about the whole thing.

Oh, and by the way, if you wanted to help me out in your own small way - Thanks! - you can fill in some online survey things at www.tinyurl.com/gamesanth and www.tinyurl.com/anthdiss

Now back to lurking.

Filled out the first one. Surveys that ask me to list all the MMOs I've played are always tough, I'm sure there's some I missed.

I don't hate the act of running altogether. I will run with purpose. I like exercise. I just finished up the curling season, and in 2 weeks softball starts. I have belonged to kickball and indoor soccer leagues over the last 3 or so years as well. It's just the "sport" of running. 20 minutes is my wall on a treadmill. I'm not too exhausted to continue, I'm just too bored to go on. I've done a few 5Ks and they were the worst. I listen to the Bombcast, VG HD, Idle Thumbs, Tone Control etc while working out but that does not increase my will to go on. Maybe I'm just too stubborn but nothing has ever changed that, EXCEPT when I worked at a job where I got an hour for lunch and it was in a closed off business park. It was so stressful that even jogging for 30 minutes during lunch was sweet relief.

So my quitting smoking since New Year has been successful. Now I feel like I have left it far enough behind that I can deal with the consequences of quitting, mainly weight gain. I gained 20 pounds over 3 months since I quit. Now I'm going back to a low-carb diet and starting to get some exercise (well I always seem to start exercising more in Spring) -- last week I managed to do something every day: started going to yoga, had salsa lessons, went running, bicycling and played some football (soccer). This week I started drinking less alcohol, started another dance course (bachata -- seems kind of difficult with the particular teacher so not sure if I'll stay) and will try to keep up with the other stuff. Next week I also start playing soccer regularly once a week, so the next few weeks should be full of exercise.

I hate running for excercise, partly because I literally feel like I'm going nowhere, but mostly because I had asthma as a kid which made running a form of torture for me.

I found running boring until I combined it with music and got shoes suited to my feet. After that, I could manage a decent pace and run for hours.

I hate running for excercise, partly because I literally feel like I'm going nowhere, but mostly because I had asthma as a kid which made running a form of torture for me.

Hey, running is torture for me, too!

well because i'm fat though not cause asthma

...I ordered pizza for dinner, sat down at my computer, and opened this page to find everyone discussing exercises and fitness, while I sit in a computer chair chewing on a slice of pepperoni and sausage pizza.

I've never felt so guilty about cheesy saucy goodness.

I can't listen to music as the tempo changes wreck me. I can't tnot jog to thebeat.

Twig, try the couch to 5k program. Me and my sis did it successfully last year. I stopped then, so I've picked it up from the start again. I'm at week 5 and it is starting to get rough, but nothing insurmountable.

...I ordered pizza for dinner, sat down at my computer, and opened this page to find everyone discussing exercises and fitness, while I sit in a computer chair chewing on a slice of pepperoni and sausage pizza.

I've never felt so guilty about cheesy saucy goodness.

Don't you dare apologize for pizza, ever!

I also will vouch for C25K. Even I was able to do that for like 8 weeks before the runnui caught up to me.

I really like food and I really hate exercising.

That's my biggest problem.

(Actually I like some forms of exercising, like hiking and swimming and even playing basketball.)

I play Zombies, Run! when I run. I have the zombie chases switched off because I'm a wuss but having a little storyline play when I go running is quite compelling. I recommend the 5K app they did, which looks a bit janky compared to the real game but it has a program that's more sophisticated than most start-to-5K apps, and the storyline is pretty good.

I was fascinated to discover that Russia is apparently trying to realign itself to become a fascist state.

I'm not at the peak of fitness right now after letting myself go a bit during my last relationship, but I lost about 42 pounds with relative ease a few years ago just by controlling my food intake — virtually no exercise at all beyond 30–60 minutes of walking a day (if you're not even doing that you have problems).

I'm not saying exercise is bad, but in all honesty I'll only do it if it's something I want to do anyway (martial arts can be EXHAUSTING). I think that the 'done thing' of spending hours on treadmills and exercise bikes is unnecessary if not destructive to sustainable weight loss.

It essentially comes down to this: you can spend like an hour running, or just skip one pizza a week. The result is more or less the same because — unlike with lifting weights — you don't get meaningful continued loss between sessions. You either burn 600 calories or you avoid eating 600 calories. Extend that to your whole lifestyle and you should discover that you can eat great things, lose weight, and only do exercise that you enjoy.

Oh, and for Christ's sake: get a calorie counting app (I recommend Macros) and use it for everything. Yes, that includes drinks and that 100-calories-per-teaspoon mayo.

That's aweaome Erkki. I'm so glad you don't smoke anymore. It's also cool that you seem to be like "Well, I might as well find more ways to improve my fitness." Smoking is so hard to quit. That's a huge accomplishment.

Oh, and for Christ's sake: get a calorie counting app (I recommend Macros) and use it for everything. Yes, that includes drinks and that 100-calories-per-teaspoon mayo.

Ya, i use MyNetDiary on and off. Very handy for pinpointing things that you might not have realised had so many calories in them.

While I can't argue with the running on a treadmill hate (music/podcasts only help so much with the monotony), I enjoy running outside quite a bit. I often don't listen to anything and just get lost in my own head while enjoying the scenery. It's relaxing.

It essentially comes down to this: you can spend like an hour running, or just skip one pizza a week. The result is more or less the same because — unlike with lifting weights — you don't get meaningful continued loss between sessions. You either burn 600 calories or you avoid eating 600 calories. Extend that to your whole lifestyle and you should discover that you can eat great things, lose weight, and only do exercise that you enjoy.

I don't think this is fair to say. While the caloric numbers may be the same, the effect on your body certainly isn't. You're getting the cardiovascular health benefits of running in addition to the calorie burn.  You should definitely do activities you enjoy, but I'd also argue that if you're out of shape then of course running sucks (or whatever other cardio activity you've chosen). It's something you have to push through at the start and really give some time before making the call of sticking with it or finding some alternative.

I need to get back to playing racquetball. Unfortunately, I am moving away from my health club (that I last visited 3 months ago) here soon so I'll have to find another place.

That poor lamb will never paint again. I hope you're happy.

You obviously never saw his paintings, super racist.

Argh! Losing confidence is... I haven't pitched my movie script in like 2 months. Because I finally got an answer and the guy never got back to me, never even indicated that he read my screenplay. But I have to get back too it. I love movies, I've watched more movies than months I've been alive, probably by at least a factor of 3.

I watched the Red Letter Media review of Star Wars all like 3 times, just to see how movies break down and work, for fun. Get back too it. I don't give a crap if others failed or never succeed in this business. They probably didn't ask for the script for their favorite movie of all time as a birthday present when they were 10, and then read the damned thing to pieces just for fun.

But losing and failing again and again and again, with seemingly no hint of success... but I can do it. Agh!