gdf

Life

begs the question

asks the question. "Begging the question" is a type of fallacy.

EIyAQ1v.png

asks the question. "Begging the question" is a type of fallacy.

:hitlerbomb:

I learned something today!

If you use the phrase to mean "raise the question", some pedants will silently dismiss you as a dunce, while others will complain loudly, thus distracting everyone else from whatever you wanted to say. If you complain about others' "misuse", you come across as an annoying pedant. And if you use the phrase to mean "assume the conclusion", almost no one will understand you.

My recommendation: Never use the phrase yourself — use "assume the conclusion" or "raise the question", depending on what you mean — and cultivate an attitude of serene detachment in the face of its use by others.

Begs the question is a tricky one for sure. Stringently ignoring it except in explicit logical constructs is a wise course of action.

This is why I never use the phrase "just deserts" in print or say "not my forte" out loud.

cultivate an attitude of serene detachment in the face of its use by others

NEVER! (Actually, I normally do, but I couldn't help myself here for some reason.)

I'm guilty of both those deserts/forte confusions, though. 

I'm kinda worried that merus has been sitting on a toilet spraying juice out his ass since his last post.

This is why I never use the phrase "just deserts" in print or say "not my forte" out loud.

Why's that? As far as I'm aware those phrases don't have meanings nearly opposite of the way most people use them.

Am I about to learn something? (I hope so)

Just deserts is when you murder an asshole diabetic with surgery treats that you made just too irresistible.

"Not my forte" is the correct response when a tourist asks "did you build this castle?".

Why's that? As far as I'm aware those phrases don't have meanings nearly opposite of the way most people use them.

Am I about to learn something? (I hope so)

They are still skunked phrases due to their pronunciation/spelling.  If there is someone in the conversation who wants to be pedantic, the conversation will devolve to arguing about how to pronounce/spell them rather than the content of the original statement.  The same way that a phrase like "begs the question" will devolve into arguing about its meaning. 

Oddly enough, I tend to be a traditional grammar Nazi in a lot of ways, but not my forte, just deserts and begs the question don't bother me.  It seems like the traditional versions of them are already past the tipping point of passing into extinction and its not worth the energy to try and maintain them.

I think 'circular reasoning' basically does the same job as the traditional form of 'begs the question'. The distinction's not useful.

Two cats and I just spent 15 minutes chasing a mouse through my house, AND WERE INCAPABLE OF ACTUALLY CATCHING THE LITTLE BASTARD.  He disappeared into my master closet, which finally ended the chase, as there is no chance to find him in there. 

At one point I turned around, and the mouse was literally standing right next to my orange tabby's tail, and the cat had no clue.  All we needed was the Benny Hill song playing in the background. 

I'm really tired and I just spilled coffee all over my desk.  My keyboard is being weird now and my desk is sticky.  This is not a good start to the day.

Someone had a worse day. Text message from a friend, first thing: "Sat down on bus. Seat was wet. Definitely piss"

I'm more impressed that he has [at least] two people on ignore and they were [probably] arguing with each other and he felt proud enough to brag about it in here.

subtweeting is basically talking about someone without directly mentioning them. So instead of @badfinger you'd just say badfinger or THIS GUY or whatever. it's also an implied negative connotation.

What the hell is a subtweet anyway?

Talking about someone on a social network without providing enough context so that people can tell who you're talking shit about.

I suspect it's the last bastion of passive-aggressiveness; it's kinda cowardly, and I'm hoping in a few years the response will be that instead of complaining to the audience about your problems, express your frustration to the actual person.

Emotional rollercoaster, i just got tickets to Kate Bush:D:D:D:D:D:D