gdf

Life

You got tickets to Kate Bush :tup:

You got tickets to Kate Bush :tdown:

Nice, I'd love to see her live. Is she still good though? I mean part of her act was the expressive dancing and the enchantment of youth.

I started learning salsa recently, but all the parties* seem to play mostly bachata music instead, so I guess I have to learn that next.

* even the ones with "salsa" in the name, such as "salsa night".

I started learning salsa recently, but all the parties* seem to play mostly bachata music instead, so I guess I have to learn that next.

Learning salsa by dancing to bachata? Somewhere, my mom is gritting her teeth (she loves salsa music and is a very good salsa dancer). :P

Nice, I'd love to see her live. Is she still good though? I mean part of her act was the expressive dancing and the enchantment of youth.

No idea about live, as her last show was before I was born. I'm obsessed with her entire catalogue right up to and including the erotic snowman love songs of last year though. It was very well recieved as was Ariel a few years back.

Geez, I guess I need another job because the temp one where I stuff envelopes which was supposed to last until August downsized from 12 employees to six for the next task there. So now I don't have a paycheck all over again and that job was more than acceptable. Maybe I'll get called back at a later date, but who knows. Guess I wasn't a fast enough envelope stuffer to be part of the lucky six.

I'm just kind of annoyed with my luck in life because I'm tired of only having bad news for everyone in my life. I feel like such a whiner.

On a brighter note though, I think I may go back to college in two months since now I'm free for the summer semester. I just gotta figure out how paperwork works.

What's a Kate Bush?

I had to look her up, and now I think I'm going to have to listen to some of her stuff tomorrow!  She strikes me as the kind of artist I would enjoy. 

The only thing I know about Kate Bush is that she has two different videos for her crazy Wuthering Heights song, and both are suitably weird.

My son just started crawling recently and it's freakin crazy. He is so determined to injure himself at every turn.

My son just started crawling recently and it's freakin crazy. He is so determined to injure himself at every turn.

Nice. My younger daughter (1.1y) is determined to climb all the things. I can turn my back for 10 seconds and she'll be on top of the dinner table sitting proudly drinking from a glass I thought out of her reach.

It's the middle finger. No matter how far you think their reach goes, they have a telescopic middle finger that extends freakishly beyond any conceivable stretch. I see it with my little nieces every time.

iddi3Dm.jpg

Nice. My younger daughter (1.1y) is determined to climb all the things. I can turn my back for 10 seconds and she'll be on top of the dinner table sitting proudly drinking from a glass I thought out of her reach.

That reminds me of the time I was a kid and climbed on the table and drank my dad's "apple juice" when he went to the washroom. (It wasnt apple juice. It was beer.)

Oh man, I guess I shouldn't be complaining! That is quite an impressive feat for a kid that's barely over a year old. I hope you're surrounding every climbable object with pillows.

Sometimes I wonder how the human race survived when our larval form is so inclined to kill itself.

At least that's all. I still remember walking into a room where my brother and his friend were, both about 2. They'd somehow both gotten onto a kitchen island around four feet high and then proceeded to rip the newspaper there to absolute shreds. How they managed when not really even able to walk is still beyond me.

Ha, cool. I'm guessing your ages or your estimation of their walking abilities is a bit off there though, at 2 most children can run nicely.

In general we've not been so big on making everything in the house soft. With our first daughter we noticed she was super careful with everything, like knowing to remove her fingers when closing doors, that sort of thing. Turns out a lot of that was apparently character though - this second one is making us rethink some stuff. Still, I'm of the school that calls bruises/scrapes educational. It means some extra effort supervising but I believe it'll be worth it in the long run.

e: man, I should check out the gaming parents thread again. Such a good read.

Some kids definitely have inherent consideration of their own safety that seems to be completely absent in others.

One of my sisters is, like me, extremely careful and always has been even when so young that you wouldn't think they have any sense of danger. I've always had an extremely high interest in self-preservation, which admittedly has made me outright refuse to do a number of things throughout my entire life — but I've never had any broken bones or serious accidents, so there's that.

My other sister is just a nutter, the kind who will sprint at a huge sheer drop and then stop dead right at the edge just for the thrill (this is something she once did at a castle and gave everyone a mini-heart attack).

I'm guessing that there's a link between these personalities and those who are willing to do uncontrolled high-risk activities such as sky diving (i.e. if you do something wrong you die). I can't get enough of 100%-controlled stuff like roller coasters, though. :tup:

It's funny how we perceive risk though.  You couldn't pay me enough to jump out of an airplane and I damn near had a panic attack doing the

at World's of Fun (in hindsight, it was amazing, but fuck, getting up there almost broke me).   But I've raced cars at 100+ miles an hour without a second thought. 

My ex moved out and took the last of her stuff today, ending about 2.5 months of living together following the break-up of a several-year relationship. Not going to lie, feeling really sad. It's not the relationship itself I'm lamenting the loss of — that happened long ago, and it was I who initiated the break-up. It's more just being well and truly alone in my flat for the first time in years, without any of her things lying around and all of the everyday stuff finally at an end. Even though I'm resolute that this was needed, it's still difficult. Nothing more that can be said or done, just got to adjust to single (living) life again.