gdf

Life

I wouldn't imagine so, I'm a team lead so their main priority really is finding someone else in enough time to get them familiar enough to take over what I do with little interruption to what's already a very tight development roadmap. There's no in-house candidate and the place is situated in a relatively small town, so that could be easier said than done. I genuinely hope they do though because my actual team are good guys. The whole 'I'm leaving' conversation was fairly friendly and there's little to be gained for anyone from making things uncomfortable.

The bit I forgot to mention is that my current place requires three hours of commuting per day, whereas my new employer is one minute of commuting per day (not even exaggerating, they're a 30 second walk away from my apartment block). The difference that that's going to make to my lifestyle is staggering, and is worth more to me than any other incentive imaginable. I'm so tired of commuting.

Wait, they are background-checking you for three months? Are you going to be a spy?

Edit: Never mind, I re-read.

oMnCaIYl.jpg

Right calf.  Artwork by a classy person named Tara and tattoo by Doug Hardy (Ed Hardy's son).  I know both of 'em through a forum thread about cats.

Geez this art is amazing!

First off: Subbes - awesome tat. It looks really really good.

So I've started keeping a journal. I went out and bought a little notebook, and I've started writing about my day, every day. One page per day is my goal, which can be difficult at times because I lead a pretty boring life.

I'm also using it to keep track of all the jobs I'm applying for. I think it will be helpful to at least be able to look back and see everywhere I've applied to in a simple, convenient place. I'm also making sure I'm applying to at least two places per day. It may not seem like much, but I really need to make sure I'm being consistent. Otherwise I end up not doing anything for a few days and then realize that I haven't done anything for most of a week and I feel like a worthless sack of crap. So I figure keeping track of it will help out a lot.

That's lovely subbes.

The bit I forgot to mention is that my current place requires three hours of commuting per day, whereas my new employer is one minute of commuting per day (not even exaggerating, they're a 30 second walk away from my apartment block). The difference that that's going to make to my lifestyle is staggering, and is worth more to me than any other incentive imaginable. I'm so tired of commuting.

Congrats. Getting rid of a long commute is an excellent difference to make :tup:

First off: Subbes - awesome tat. It looks really really good.

So I've started keeping a journal. I went out and bought a little notebook, and I've started writing about my day, every day. One page per day is my goal, which can be difficult at times because I lead a pretty boring life.

I'm also using it to keep track of all the jobs I'm applying for. I think it will be helpful to at least be able to look back and see everywhere I've applied to in a simple, convenient place. I'm also making sure I'm applying to at least two places per day. It may not seem like much, but I really need to make sure I'm being consistent. Otherwise I end up not doing anything for a few days and then realize that I haven't done anything for most of a week and I feel like a worthless sack of crap. So I figure keeping track of it will help out a lot.

Solid.

I wouldn't imagine so, I'm a team lead so their main priority really is finding someone else in enough time to get them familiar enough to take over what I do with little interruption to what's already a very tight development roadmap. There's no in-house candidate and the place is situated in a relatively small town, so that could be easier said than done. I genuinely hope they do though because my actual team are good guys. The whole 'I'm leaving' conversation was fairly friendly and there's little to be gained for anyone from making things uncomfortable.

That's good that your current job seems to be very sensible. I've had it both ways, one place that treated me like a sack of garbage for the one month I gave them notice, and another that was super awesome and basically gave me my last two weeks "off" with the only real responsibility being to write down what I do every day and then teach one of the other people on my team if necessary.

Awesome tattoo subbes!

My cousin is a tattoo artist, his shading always looks like leporsy.

Bose-Einstein condensate.

Steinheizer-Hawkins Percipitate

Is there anything more satisfying than cleaning something that hasn't been clean in months? Today I cleaned and put away all my dishes, did all my white and coloured laundry (doin' black tomorrow), and took out my garbage, which is stuff usually impeded by my depression.

Well, I just found out that not only do I have no chance of teaching over the summer for my grad program, but that the only other summer job available in the department is not actually open (they're interviewing people, but they already selected someone who didn't need to apply).

So, now I just need to find someone who will hire a person with an MA in American Literature for three months, probably for minimum wage. Will teach critical theory for food?

Well, I just found out that not only do I have no chance of teaching over the summer for my grad program, but that the only other summer job available in the department is not actually open (they're interviewing people, but they already selected someone who didn't need to apply).

So, now I just need to find someone who will hire a person with an MA in American Literature for three months, probably for minimum wage. Will teach critical theory for food?

Very high brow prostitute?

Oh come on, an MA in English and you can't even sell yourself. They won't want you for your pretty, i'm sure its a neiche marker. As a starter, here are some advertising slogans:

"I'll tickle your prost, whilst I comment on Proust".

"I have an MA in cunning linguistics"

I was going to post here how fulfilling I find it to actually do my research, as opposed to teaching, which is just how I make money and something I happen to be good at but which is not my real job, per se. Give me ten minutes with a source and I'll have three pages of a paper on it written in not too long at all. That's love, right? But then I just wasted four hours today trying to track down a reference to thirteenth-century imperial vicars for the kingdom of Arles, half-remembered from two years ago, only to find it at last in a dreadful old book called Phoenix Frustrated: Lost Kingdom of Burgundy and realize it's uncited... Yeah, great. Fuck this job.

I always rely on my institution's library for summer work. If you have a graduate degree and maybe a language or two, you're more valuable than any of the undergrad workers they usually hire, so it's just a matter of finding the right person to help you skip the hiring process. I got an amazing job doing Latin translation and general upkeep for our rare books room last summer just by emailing two people and mentioning my degree. Note: this does not work in the real world, only academia.

Temp agencies can be useful.

That is one route I will likely investigate. Mostly I was just frustrated about a potentially really good job not being as available as I thought.

I was going to post here how fulfilling I find it to actually do my research, as opposed to teaching, which is just how I make money and something I happen to be good at but which is not my real job, per se. Give me ten minutes with a source and I'll have three pages of a paper on it written in not too long at all. That's love, right? But then I just wasted four hours today trying to track down a reference to thirteenth-century imperial vicars for the kingdom of Arles, half-remembered from two years ago, only to find it at last in a dreadful old book called Phoenix Frustrated: Lost Kingdom of Burgundy and realize it's uncited... Yeah, great. Fuck this job.

I always rely on my institution's library for summer work. If you have a graduate degree and maybe a language or two, you're more valuable than any of the undergrad workers they usually hire, so it's just a matter of finding the right person to help you skip the hiring process. I got an amazing job doing Latin translation and general upkeep for our rare books room last summer just by emailing two people and mentioning my degree. Note: this does not work in the real world, only academia.

I hadn't thought about looking into work at the library, but I have been in touch with IT. I'll find a thing, it just might not be the thing I had hoped for initially.