gdf

Life

I was looking at my credit card statement last night when I noticed 3 charges I didn't make.  They all occurred on the same day in Feb, and all 3 charges appear to be one year gift subscriptions to Hulu Plus.  They're the only irregular activity on my card, so I'm hoping this is some weird clerical error and not a sign that my credit card info is in malicious hands.  I contacted customer support to get it straightened out, hopefully I can get this resolved quickly.

I got a call about my CC being skimmed yesterday. The bank caught the purchases from the US which is great, but i won't have a new one for 2 weeks:(

Man I need a job.

That's not nearly as eloquent as prettyunsmart, but he's the one with the masters in literature. I'm very near the point where I do go back to the temp agency.

Well, badfinger is a good name for a low class prostitute.

I really like my new(ish) job. Nobody seems to mind I'm late every single day. I just told my boss that i was sending some data i was supposed to send 2 months ago and he laughed. Soon i will have an underling. The people are cool, and the technology is cool and the work is interesting. Woo.

Phoenix Frustrated: Lost Kingdom of Burgundy

Your primary error was that of confusing the name of a trustworthy historical document with a throwaway bonus DVD that ships with Anchorman 2: Director's Uncut Edition.

(I bet you hate it when people make Anchorman jokes in relation to medieval French dukedoms)

Thank you. You are now crowned Lord of The Internet. Hhaaharwahahaha, life finds a way.

EDIT: Holy shit, this may be the best thing ever.

Q: Mr. Goldblum, if you could splice your DNA with another organism, what would you choose and what would be your name?

Jeff Cool Cool Goldgamegoldblumgamecool: Hahahaha. Let's see. Off the top of my head, I'd splice myself with a dolphin, and my name would be Surf Goldblum.

This is killing me. But you know what they say.

wQc9RPi.gif

EDITx2: HOLY SHIT, THE WAY HE ANSWERS QUESTIONS IS JUST LIKE HOW HE ACTUALLY TALKS, THIS IS AMAZING.

Oooooooooh. SANDWICH. OH MY GOSH.

Oh my gosh.

I love sandwiches.

You know, I make sure that I have a good time on any movie. I make sure that I have a good time on any movie. It's, uh, an uncommon privilege. [Emphasis on that last sentence is my own]

I think someone is typing his answers as he speaks out loud. At least that's what some of the comments say.

Either way, this is fucking gold. My day is made.

So I made a foolish bet with my Mum to lose weight. The deadline is April 1st, and neither of us are close to our goals. If I don't make it, I lose my laptop; if she doesn't make it, she has to spend a week with her douchebag brother who she hasn't talked to in years.

So I'm on a crash diet, specifically a juice diet.

I am so fucking hungry

It has been half a day

So I made a foolish bet with my Mum to lose weight. The deadline is April 1st, and neither of us are close to our goals. If I don't make it, I lose my laptop; if she doesn't make it, she has to spend a week with her douchebag brother who she hasn't talked to in years.

I am so fucking hungry

It has been half a day

I wish you the best of luck!

Losing weight is not easy.

Gaining it is easy though! I've gained almost 10 kilos since I quit smoking in the beginning of the year. Luckily I had lost about 7 the few months before that, but I still need to lose them again, like pronto.

I just had live (online) banter with Tim Schafer. I now know some of what it's like being a Thumb.

I am so fucking hungry

It has been half a day

I am not a nutritionist, but my sister has a degree in nutrition and is a doctor, and what she would tell me (and you) is please, please, please do not starve your body. While technically any intake of calories less than whatever your body needs to maintain its current weight will cause you to lose pounds, you are going to do it in the most healthy and efficient way if you have a balanced diet at about a 10-15% calorie deficit while getting regular exercise and 8 hours of sleep.

I was able to lose about 30 pounds a few years ago on a 2000 calorie diet, because for my weight and activity level that was a significant calorie deficit from what my body needed to purely maintain. It was still full of important macronutrients and I didn't end up hungry. I don't know how much weight you need to lose, but just establishing the diet I lost like 5 pounds in the first week. Your laptop isn't worth it.

You can get a really broad estimate on what your calorie maintenance level is by going to a place like here, http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html and figure out calorie values of food here or someplace like it http://www.thecaloriecounter.com/. If you're not really sure what your "activity levels" are, just put 24 resting to find the absolute base level (THIS IS NOT DOCTOR ADVICE DO NOT TELL MY SISTER).

I need to lose 5kg in essentially 2 weeks (1 week now), and crash diets like this are absolutely not sustainable or healthy no matter what they claim. I am well aware. I plan to give my body some quality time to recover afterwards (I'm remembering the 40 Hour Famine that kids would do, and they'd make themselves very sick by going to Pizza Hut straight after instead of taking it slow). The whole point is to 'dip' under the goal weight to win the bet and then put it back on. I've "lost" 2 kgs and very little of it appears to be fat; most of it appears to be water and important parts of my body.

I basically can't afford a new laptop and I'm an IT student, so losing my laptop will make my studies tremendously difficult. I agree, it would have been much better to sustainably lose the weight, but that didn't happen for reasons I won't go into. I figure damaging irreplaceable equipment I use every day is less worse than losing a different kind of irreplaceable equipment I use every day.

The mentality I struggle with when it comes to weight loss is a constant self-reassurance of 'Oh, I'll take it seriously next week and just have one last few days of pigging out — I'll definitely be in shape in time for X!'.

Then X comes along and I've just been doing that same thing week after week, so I either crash and subsequently put it all back on, or fail. Eventually, X will be the day that I die.

With that said, I have managed some success this year with the more sustainable approach mentioned above. I've been using an app by Fitocracy called 'macros', which technically is a calorie tracker but it doesn't actually let you input calories. Instead, you have to input the protein/carb/fat trio for everything (it finds the optimal targets for you based on weight and exercise levels).

At first I baulked at this because calories just seem so easy to track. But let me tell you, tracking it this way provides some serious insight into why your eating habits suck. For example, like how that one can of Coke (or several sugary coffees) is your entire carb allowance for the day.

As such, I've drastically adjusted what I eat — more emphasis on pure protein/fat during the daytime — and as a result I'm feeling much more energised, I'm less constantly hungry, and the weight is dropping at a steady but consistent rate.

If I can keep this up I'll be sorted for the end of the year, whereas my previous bullshit cycle of failure would most likely just keep going for years. I guess I should have realised that my old approach was stupid; no matter which fad I used (beans diet, protein-only diet, nutrition bar diet, salad diet, shake diet) it was ultimately the same broad method destined for failure. Stopping the 'I'll do it tomorrow!' shit the hardest but must important part.

If your pact with your mom is only going to lead to an unhealthy unsustainable starvation diet and/or the loss of vital education tools, maybe talk to her about it. I very much doubt that is what she had in mind when ye made the pact.

I need to lose 5kg in essentially 2 weeks (1 week now), and crash diets like this are absolutely not sustainable or healthy no matter what they claim. I am well aware. I plan to give my body some quality time to recover afterwards (I'm remembering the 40 Hour Famine that kids would do, and they'd make themselves very sick by going to Pizza Hut straight after instead of taking it slow). The whole point is to 'dip' under the goal weight to win the bet and then put it back on. I've "lost" 2 kgs and very little of it appears to be fat; most of it appears to be water and important parts of my body.

I basically can't afford a new laptop and I'm an IT student, so losing my laptop will make my studies tremendously difficult. I agree, it would have been much better to sustainably lose the weight, but that didn't happen for reasons I won't go into. I figure damaging irreplaceable equipment I use every day is less worse than losing a different kind of irreplaceable equipment I use every day.

If, as you say, neither of you is anywhere close to your goal with half the time elapsed, maybe it's time to take a look at each other, give a friendly handshake and call it a draw or reevaluate with realistic and healthy goals? I am really not sure what the actual goal of losing weight just to say it was lost when it's coming back with friends in all likelihood. If you can't risk losing your laptop it's not worth risking your health even in the short term. 5kg in 2 weeks is an extreme goal outside of someone who is in the extremely obese range where that kind of weight is a very small percentage and small changes in diet and exercise would cause that kind of deflection.

I'm sorry for lecturing. I'm not trying to be someone's scolding dad here, I'm just genuinely concerned about crash dieting and it's something that needs to be taken seriously.

Agreed, just call off the bet. Unless your relationship is really weird, it shouldn't be difficult.

As a follow up to my last post about strange charges on my credit card (and in the process being a jerk and completely ignoring everyone else's posts since), they found that the charges seems to have been fraudulently made and are reversing them.  I hope nothing else comes from this but I'm going to keep my eye on my account activity for a while just in case.