tegan

Steam Summer Sale Spendapalooza

Thanks Dew! Yeah that was part of the appeal but i'm sure those guides will prove invaluable. Or at least as valuable as my $1 purchase.

Found myself in a Monster Summer Game room with a couple of other Thumbs this time. I don't know who organized it but it's insane. Only 43rd in the world but steamrolling through levels in 5 seconds a pop.

I'm going to buy The Last Federation and Music Creator 7 but I'm cheap and patient so I'm waiting to see if they go on sale-sale.

So far I've only (re)bought The Witcher because I can't find my disc.

I think I might Talos Principle as well.

I bought cook, serve, delicious! cos it was dead cheap. Will I learn anything about cookery, I wonder?

NOW THE TIME OF FEASTING IS AT HAND!

Slow day of the sale for me too. I already got almost everything from Total War and Final Fantasy, except maybe FF III and FFIV, which I might pick up. Maybe Lord of Xulima (anyone would recommend?), but I am not sure...

Found myself in a Monster Summer Game room with a couple of other Thumbs this time. I don't know who organized it but it's insane. Only 43rd in the world but steamrolling through levels in 5 seconds a pop.

I don't know what's going on in my game but non-boss levels are ending before they even finish loading for me. I basically just have to wait 10 glitchy seconds for the next boss to pop up. This shit is bananas. It's on level 4,500 after running for 6.5 hours.

I'm in that room with Justin, I started in another, but early on looked at the "Join Friends" listing and saw that the room Justin was in was already hundreds of levels ahead of the room I started in, so jumped ship. 

Glancing at the Steam subreddit yesterday, people are going nuts with the scripts, running it 24 hours straight, coordinating power up uses.  There's so much damage being done per second, the servers can't even keep everyone synced up.  The result is that it's amusing to watch, but it's basically impossible to interact with now as someone not running a script.  This is ultimately Valve's fault though.  The final badge is for breaking 300,000 levels, so of course people are optimizing the fuck out of the game as much as possible because they want that badge.  Hitting 300K means clearing more than 3 levels a second.  Unless (and this is very possible) some super powerups are added, like skipping 10 levels at a shot, getting to 300K is only going to be possible with coordinated scripts. 

So far I bought Brothers for 1.49, Valiant Hearts for $3.75, and Mirror Moon EP for $2 with all the money being from steam wallet fans I got from selling trading cards and the like

Well, I activated one of the scripts out of curiosity to see just how much it will auto-level all my shit for me. 

A buddy of mine has been following the subreddit shenanigans and I joined him in one of their rooms this afternoon. Someone discovered a glitch where coordinated use of the wormhole powerup will jump thousands of levels at a time -- we passed level 300k in about an hour, and we're on pace to pass 4 million levels by the end of the day.

I picked up Talos Principle today as I've been watching it for a while. Also still considering picking up the Dishonored DLC, but it sorta bugs me that it's cheaper to rebuy the game as part of the GOTY version than to just buy the DLC.

How essential to Pay Day 2 is the DLC? Been eyeing that game for a while and not sure whether I should grab the GOTY version or not.

How essential to Pay Day 2 is the DLC? Been eyeing that game for a while and not sure whether I should grab the GOTY version or not.

Depending on your circle of friends and comfort with strangers, the only must-have DLCs the Courier one and maybe the CAR/AK Mod one. Most mission-based ones can be enjoyed just by joining others' games, and unless you're big on having a diverse selection of firearms, most of the weapon packs aren't essential either. It's really to taste.

Oh, right. Grenades don't come standard in the base game, so you'll want to buy Gage Weapon Pack #1 for those, too. Anything else, your call.

Also still considering picking up the Dishonored DLC, but it sorta bugs me that it's cheaper to rebuy the game as part of the GOTY version than to just buy the DLC.

this is why I still don't have Dishonored or the X-Com expansion.

I have not played KR0 and am unemployed... Is it really *that* good? Bear in mind I know v little about it (on purpose, so that when I do play it, it'll be new and fresh and exciting)

Well, it does something different to a lot of other games, and does it well. I think it is totally worth it if this kind of game is your thing. It does lean in so heavily to what makes it good that if that stuff isn't your jam, it's probably not going to feel worthwhile.

If you're unsure what it is, I'll stick some vague words describing it in spoiler tags, so you can know it better. These aren't about the story/premise, just the experience of playing it and what kind of work it is.

It's slow paced and the undercurrent of it is hard to get a good hold on. It's quite surrealist but also highly grounded in real life. The difficulty in Reading it properly is partly in the surrealism but not entirely. The writing, visuals and audio are all very potent so that the surface experience is engaging despite being a slow paced point and click.

Non spoilerly, I think a familiarity with American rural culture and american literature are beneficial. Though also not necessary, as I know very little of either and emphatically enjoy it.

It's hard to describe why it's so good, because it doesn't have a big hook or twist to it, it just has really good writing. It's point-and-click but with barely any puzzle solving. The focus is purely on the narrative, and the choices you make aren't solving big problems or determining who lives or dies, they're about building up the characters' histories and exploring who they were. For example, the first choice you make is someone asks who your dog's name, and your options are "His name is Homer", "Her name is Blue", or "I don't know, it's just some dog". That obviously doesn't have any big narrative consequences but it makes the story feel alot more personal.

In general the tone of the game is just so fascinating and surreal in a low-key way. If you want to try it out in advance, there are actually a handful of intermission episodes they've released for free. They're all side stories that tie into the locations in the main game in some way, so I wouldn't really consider them spoilers since they're meant to be played between episodes.

Limits and Demonstrations

The Entertainment

Here And There Along The Echo

I'm suspicious of KR0, because Rabbit (of the GWJ podcast) loves it and I tend to hate any game he gushes about. Maybe one day.

the steam game i'm in (which just started, for this new day) is already at 1620

they're going through more than three levels a second

this is mesmerizing

actually, let's do the math, at 16m, they're at 1768, so

1768/(16*60)

okay so only 1.8416666... levels per second, but still...

hey i'm at level 2100 in the time it took to do this math in the windows calculator

i looked away and now i'm at 2600 (19:40)

Twig, dat fucking room, holy shit.  I logged into a game, and after about 20 minutes we were at almost 1,000 levels.  Then I looked at my friends room, and yours was already at like 4,700, so I jumped ship for it.  Now it's over 10K and the first hour isn't even done.

Edited to add:  If anyone on Twig or I's friends lists wants to try and get into this room, just keep refreshing your friends games.  The room is full, but every few minutes it seems like a few players drop out and a slot is open for a little bit.

Ah, I remembered to buy Talos with 5 minutes left.

Almost forgot like I usually do.