Sign in to follow this  
RoboticMonk3y

Jiff?

To be exact, Calvé peanut butter is 85% peanut and 15% bullshit (hardened palm oil, salt). I think the ratio of peanut to bullshit is pretty favorable there.

It seems sensible to me when considering the likely transitional form of "Gee Eye Eff," a pronunciation of the initials. From there to "jiff" is no great leap.

The birth of the .PNG name:

By the way, has anybody an idea how to call the new format?

Maybe this is a little premature, but people like to have
names for things...  Once we agreed on a name, everything
else should be as easy as patenting xor to change a bit's
value...  :-)

How about "PING" ("Ping Is Not Gif") ?  The 3 byte extension
for DOS people could be either .pin or .png.

It was PING before it was Portable Network Graphics. (And it's also a recursive acronym which is goofy.)

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.graphics/tylpVt2y9s8/eHWKNVLYMREJ

So I think we can leave poor ping alone here.

.PNG files.

Is said as an acronym P.N.G. Anyway who say's ping can go straight to hell

You know many definitions of acronym refer exclusively to being a new word formed from an abbreviation, meaning that there has to be a pronunciation of PNG (ping,pang,pong,pung). What you want is PNG to be exclusively an initialism.

Is it hard to get actual peanut butter in Sweden? I can go to a store here in America and buy multiple brands of peanut butter with an ingredients list that is just "peanuts" or "peanuts, salt."

Yep, the only time peanut butter gets weird here is when it's the reduced fat stuff. Even the least peanutty 'normal' peanut butter has some bonus oils and/or molasses added to stabilize it (to prevent the peanut oil from separating).

Welcome to the internet, where we'll accept casual racism and sexism but if you DARE PRONOUNCE A FILE EXTENSION INCORRECTLY you are DAMNED TO HELL I won't TAKE THIS BLASPHEMY

I'm not sure the original poster said that he wanted to let casual racism and sexism into his heart. At least that's how I read it.

I didn't know there was controversy over the pronunciation until a couple years ago when some new friends called it a gif (hard g). I had always pronounced it with a soft g (like gin) and thought everyone else did too. So now I cringe a little when I hear 'gif' and smile inside when I hear 'jif'. And if someone pronounces it 'gif', I feign ignorance and tell them I've never heard of such a thing.

On the subject of peanut butter... Almond butter is the way to go. Peanut butter is for the birds.

Is it hard to get actual peanut butter in Sweden? I can go to a store here in America and buy multiple brands of peanut butter with an ingredients list that is just "peanuts" or "peanuts, salt."

In my local store there's like three different brands of which there is only one which is "just peanuts". 

The most common one is a brand called "Skippy" which is fine, but does contain quite a few extra ingredients.

Damn Steve, stealing my joke and getting credit for it :(

Also, sequel. Sequel? SEQUEL? FUCK THAT SHIT!

Jeff Interview Protocol

Goldblum Interview Protocol

If you don't understand the difference between a jif and a gif, you can't talk to Mr. Goldblum.

Stop everything, I just found out the most amazing fact about Calvé peanut butter! It's only on the Dutch version of Wikipedia, and it says the following:

De eigenaren erkenden in de jaren '30 de dreiging die uitging van nazi-Duitsland en schaften vlak voor de oorlog een aantal moderne zgn. Oerlikon 20mm luchtafweerstukken aan. Deze werden op het terrein van de fabrieken geplaatst. Medewerkers van Calvé konden vrijwillig dienstnemen bij de Landstormkorps Luchtafweerdienst om te worden opgeleid tot luchtafweerschutter. Op 10 mei, de eerste dag van de oorlog, schoot het Calvé-luchtafweergeschut 11 Duitse vliegtuigen uit de lucht. De fabrieken bleven tijdens de oorlog gespaard en konden ,ondanks een ernstig gebrek aan grondstoffen, op een laag peil doorproduceren.

Apparently, in the 1930s Calvé factory owners recognized the Nazi threat and bought anti-air turrets to place on their grounds. They trained personnel to man them. When Germany invaded the Netherlands, Calvé employees shot down eleven German planes.

Stop everything, I just found out the most amazing fact about Calvé peanut butter! It's only on the Dutch version of Wikipedia, and it says the following:

Apparently, in the 1930s Calvé factory owners recognized the Nazi threat and bought anti-air turrets to place on their grounds. They trained personnel to man them. When Germany invaded the Netherlands, Calvé employees shot down eleven German planes.

With peanut butter?  Impressive!

With peanut butter?  Impressive!

With peanuts stupid. They used the peanut butter to lubricate the machines.