Sign in to follow this  
RoboticMonk3y

Jiff?

Well, 

I've been a listener of Idle thumbs for quite some time now, and have always enjoyed it, I also love coffee and enjoy that too, until recently where I've given it up in order to try and sort out my sleeping. Now my wee baby is sleeping through the night, it's probably time I started to try and do the same.

Perhaps listening to this weeks podcast without a lovely supply of caffeine pumping through my veins was a mistake. Perhaps trying to do anything on a Monday is a mistake. I sat at my desk at work staring absent mindedly out of the window, wondering what I could do to get me through the afternoon, put on my headphones and pressed play. The adverts for squarespace roll through, followed by the show's preamble, a small smile breaks across my face as the theme tune starts to play, surely this will see me through my Monday afternoon?

..ahhh video games...

...and then it happened...

"jiffs of luigi"

The nails slid gently down the chalkboard.

"JIFFS!!"

The space where caffeine used to live is instantly fill with some bizarre rage, jiff!? but it's spelt with a G! a hard G!
With clenched fists, I stood up and walked away from my desk, instantly yanking on the headphone cable sending them whirling off my head (I can't be the only person that forgets that you can't leave your desk when you have headphones on surely).
Striding to the kitchen to make myself a wonderful cup of the coffee I'd be so badly missing, I bang out an angry tweet

https://twitter.com/RoboticMonk3y/status/475995313036357632
"started listening to idle thumbs "i spent the week looking at animated jiffs". skipped the podcast and deleted the feed. Jiff? nope."

I knock back a big slurp of lovely coffee, no one actually reads that junk on twitter right? I barely have any followers, I doubt anyone will ever see that. Like it never happened, right?

So imagine how I chuckle to myself when several hours later, a few random people on twitter favourited my tweet, that's never happened before. 
Skip to my commute home today, my phone pings to life letting me know that I have new interactions on twitter. "I wonder what this could be?", not wanting to mess with my phone while driving, I leave my phone rattling around on the passenger seat. a minute or so passes, and then my phone starts to make more noise, a lot more noise.  I pull up to my house, "You have 17 new twitter interactions", how odd I think, never had that many befo... oh... 

https://twitter.com/idlethumbs/status/476411690720821249
@IdleThumbs:
No apologies. MT
@RoboticMonk3y: started listening to idle thumbs ”animated jiffs“. skipped the podcast and deleted the feed. Jiff? nope.

*gulp*

So, dearest thumbs, here I am, tail between my legs, if perchance I have offended, please accept my sincerest of apologies. I am genuinely a big fan of your work and greatly enjoy all of the content you guys create and I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me for my ranting.

Keep up the excellent work.

Robotic Monkey x

Choosy mom choose Jiff and choosy dads remind you that it's pronounced "jiff" because one time there was NY Times article that said so

I downloaded gifs of gifts of gin. I gingerly made a commit to Git. My fish Gillian has gills. 

Lock this thread NOW.

[Yours is actually a cool story and I'm glad you told it!  But we're playing with nuclear weapons here...]

I downloaded gifs of gifts of gin. I gingerly made a commit to Git. My fish Gillian has gills.

Today Iearned that I've been pronouncing " gin" and "gingerly" wrong my entire life.

Today Iearned that I've been pronouncing " gin" and "gingerly" wrong my entire life.

Holy fuck, now you made me realise the same.

Edit: actually, nevermind, even the two online dictionaries I use have different opinions on that (Merriam-Webster and Dictionary.com)

My apologies. Every once in a while I go through a bout of sarcasm, I always regret it.

We are having a REAL SITUATION here and we NEED someone to come in and fix this STAT

Gimme gifs of gibs in this thread.

Succubus-Gib.gif

Never heard of someone unsubscribing from a podcast because of how the hosts pronounce words, unless it's someone who claims they can't understand a British or southern accent or something.

I might unsubscribe if you guys start pronouncing robots as "robutts."

And that is only because of the incredible amount of robot talk that goes on in the Idlethumbs Video Game Podcast.

I have a wonderful symbiotic relationship with the little shiny metal box in my kitchen. Each morning, I feed it two sliced of bread, then give it a gentle pat on the head, the little metal box extracts all the softness out of the bread, and a shot while later it spits out two slices of toast. I can only presume that the little robot in my kitchen hates toast, which is why is spits it out with such disdain, but luckily for me, I love toast, it's my favourite thing to have for breakfast, and so the relationship goes. 

While snacking on my toast and drinking a lovely cup of tea (tea being the beverage to try and fill the whole that coffee has left behind), and I think to myself, I wonder if anyone actually look at that thread I put up on the forum...

What have I done? What creature have I created!?

I have decided that I need to change my ways, and I need to become "jiff tolerant", it's a mentality I am going to try and impart onto my children, friends, and co-workers. At the end of the day, it's not about how we say the word, it's about having a smirk at a small animation of a fictional Italian plumber in a green hat giving a wide eyed look of glee at the trail of destruction in his wake.

Never heard of someone unsubscribing from a podcast because of how the hosts pronounce words, unless it's someone who claims they can't understand a British or southern accent or something.

in all honesty, by the time I'd got back to my desk with my coffee in hand, I sat back down and carried on listening to the podcast. The tweet was the Monday afternoon toys being thrown out of the pram. Unsubscribing would be a bizarre thing to do for sure, stranger still would be going to twitter and being a complete jerk about it (something for which I am still very much apologetic)

Here in the UK Jif, used to be a brand of multi-purpose household cleaner, it's confusingly now called Cif, but once again, I digress...

Yes, in Europe we associate Jif with a robust cleaning product, which is why we'll never, ever eat American peanut butter named such.

Also because in the Netherlands we have the premiere brand of peanut butter: Calvé

Pindakaas-450x450_tcm164-313249.jpg

Which actually is mostly made up of peanuts and tastes fantastic.

Including vowels in file-extension abbreviations should be encouraged so I don't have to say all three letters.

.doc is great

.xml not so much

.txt gets a free vowel because it's only missing one letter.

Yes, in Europe we associate Jif with a robust cleaning product, which is why we'll never, ever eat American peanut butter named such.

Oh, you mean Vim?

That pindakaas is so iconic that I've got this shirt

Not a cap?

Also because in the Netherlands we have the premiere brand of peanut butter: Calvé

Pindakaas-450x450_tcm164-313249.jpg

Which actually is mostly made up of peanuts and tastes fantastic.

I am so jelly. Most of the Swedish peanut butter repertoire is bullshit. Tasty, but still bullshit.