Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

Secretasiaman, there are a couple of alternative movie commentary services, mostly comedy based. Rifftrax is a well-known one (made by the guys from MST3000 if I'm not mistaken), and Plinkett/Red Letter Media made a few as well. For Star Wars, obv.

I think I've heard of that actually.  I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.  I'd still like to hear a Thumbs movie commentary though.

The Comedy Button (a comedy podcast) has done some, and is now actually selling some on their store. I've liked the free ones they released (Street Fighter and Home Alone 2), but they're much more vulgar and offensive than, say, Rifftrax, so YMMV.

I'd still like to hear a Thumbs movie commentary though.

I think they should do a stream where they all watch Jurassic Park. Between Jeff Goldblum and Samuel Jackson's arm I think it might be the best thing ever.

I think I've heard of that actually.  I had forgotten about it until you mentioned it.  I'd still like to hear a Thumbs movie commentary though.

After hearing Chris' mixed feelings about the last season of Breaking Bad, I'm a little distressed that I won't ever get to hear him spin out his thoughts in full, certainly not on the podcast.

I have a technical, live-coding-on-a-collaborative-editing-website phone interview in THREE MINUTES.

This is not a random thought. But it is nerve-wracking AS USUAL and I want to die.

original.gif

Someone just linked me this. Seemed appropriate.

Is there such a thing as custom DVD commentaries?  Like commentaries made by people who had nothing to do with the movie but might have interesting things to say about it.  Sometimes I feel like that about video games while listening to Idle Thumbs, and it makes me want them to record a commentary for a movie that I can listen to as I watch it.  Kind of like a Let's Play, except with a movie.  A Let's Watch if you will.

My podcast will occasionally do commentaries. I did a Friday the 13th commentary with my 57 year old mother (who had not seen a horror movie since the late 70's) for Mother's Day, where I explained the rules and tropes of slasher movies to her. 

I have a technical, live-coding-on-a-collaborative-editing-website phone interview in THREE MINUTES.

This is not a random thought. But it is nerve-wracking AS USUAL and I want to die.

original.gif

Someone just linked me this. Seemed appropriate.

How did it go?

ÜBER BONUS! It's 6:30pm and I've only just realised its Thursday and not Wednesday! Somehow I lost a whole day of my life... Yay! Now that I think about it that's kinda worrying

fc,220x200,white.u1.jpg

No, it means people all over are going to subconsciously do a bunch of stupid shit because they are aware of what day it is and then will blame it all on being an "unlucky" day.

I am not at all a morning person but lately I have had to wake up every morning before sunrise with baby Nolan. I've started to realize a pattern that I experience within the first five seconds of waking up each morning:

1st second: What the fuck is going on? Why am I awake?

2nd second (a cool homograph that I just noticed): Oh, there's barely any light in the sky; I can go back to sleep for awhile.

3rd second: Oh wait, Nolan's still sleeping right?

4th second: Fuck, he's awake.

5th second: I guess I'm getting up now.

Did you try telling your son that he should sleep until 8 in the morning? I guess you never did. A lot of people who complain that they had to get up early for their kid never tried to explain the kid to just keep sleeping until a sensible time. They always think that the kid won't understand.... But they never even tried to see if it worked.

No, it means people all over are going to subconsciously do a bunch of stupid shit because they are aware of what day it is and then will blame it all on being an "unlucky" day.

I actually had a talk with my new class first thing this morning about how "Since we know that we're kinda better than that, even on days like Friday the 13th, we're still going to keep our agreement to own up to our behaviour, even when it's unhelpful to the class."

They got it. The day went pretty smoothly. This came up because the first thing I heard this morning was "Mr W! It's Friday the 13th! Everything is going to go all weird!" and I felt like I had to put that down right quick.

This should probably go in the Life thread but I think it is too good of a follow up to the Friday the 13th shit so it's going here.

So yesterday we went down and signed our new loan papers for our refinance and while signing we found out that our new monthly payments were going to be nearly $100 higher than what we were previously told. It turns out this was due to Geico tripling our goddamn homeowner's insurance. That was pretty fucking lame and put a big damper on the day but things got even worse when we got home and saw that the temperature in our house was 83 degrees even though we have our thermostat set at 79 degrees. So we had the A/C guy come out today and found out that we have a bad leak in our already failing air conditioning unit and that we would need to replace it. So we had no choice but to sign a bunch of papers today to finance the $9000 it will cost to get the new A/C unit installed.

It has been a pretty miserable day but now I am just relishing in the delicious irony that is life. I think it is hilarious that all of that shit just happened to go down on the day that it did especially considering my views on that unlucky voodoo day nonsense. On the bright side, we already shopped around and found another insurance company that will give us the exact rates we were expecting so all will be good on that front. And at least we won't have to worry about our shitty A/C going out any more (plus we get a sweet programmable thermostat now and a more energy efficient unit so some added convenience and cheaper electric bills will be nice). Life is a fucking asshole sometimes.