Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I'm having one of those "Did I just get transported to a nearly identical alternate dimension?" days. I'm listening to music, and some classic songs, like Behind Blue Eyes, don't sound like I remember them. Oh the lyrics are the same, I think, maybe not even that. But some of the background composition is... different. I listen to NWA's "Express Yourself" and listening to it again I am absolutely SURE the high pitched whistle, or something, was never there before.

But Multiple World's Interpretation doesn't allow for interacting universes, hell it's not even real, different multiple universes depending on who you're listening too. Maybe it's my memory being alter post creation, but that would be weird for incidental and specific sounds in songs.

There's also an "outtake" version of "Behind Blue Eyes" included as a bonus track on some of the reissues of Who's Next.

There's also one version with the spoken word intro and one without. I dunno if that's connected.

The one with spoken words is the one without the whistle.

I just realized that I put a lot of Faith in People to be Better than Human. Except myself, because I know I'm a miserable sack of flesh and bones! U:

Does Christmas really come earlier and earlier every year, or is it just me getting older?

I can't wait for scientists to discover the satan particle. The thing that takes mass away from matter. 

I was wracking my brain to try and understand zeus' witty metaphor and completely forgot that Mass is a religious ritual :P

Nice one Patrick. When's the third date??

Ho ho, I kid. Good to hear though. Can't say much more than happy for you. :D

I was wracking my brain to try and understand zeus' witty metaphor and completely forgot that Mass is a religious ritual :P

Actually it's because of the "God Particle" a stupid assed name some reporter invented for the higg's boson, the particle that is proof of the higg's field, the field that imparts mass on particles. Thus the "Satan" particle would be a particle that removes mass from particles.

The religious reference does however play into Miffy's pun perfectly well.

When I see the letters "cl" my brain sometimes makes me think I'm seeing a "d". It's not really too big of a deal but when I'm writing test cases or doing help documentation I often write the word "click". So I pretty much see dicks everywhere.

Does Christmas really come earlier and earlier every year, or is it just me getting older?

In case this is not a rhetorical question, it is the latter.

If I haven't completely misunderstood the concept and am just pulling shit out of my ass, the brain perceives time differently depending on information intake.

(Should this be bogus I'd be happy for someone to point that out, because it's one of the most depressing things ever.)

In case this is not a rhetorical question, it is the latter.

If I haven't completely misunderstood the concept and am just pulling shit out of my ass, the brain perceives time differently depending on information intake.

(Should this be bogus I'd be happy for someone to point that out, because it's one of the most depressing things ever.)

This is something I've thought a lot about as well and it always seemed to make sense that we perceive time differently depending on our age (especially since almost anyone you talk to will say that time seems to go faster as you get older). So rather than one second being perceived as a constant time interval, we perceive it differently as we age. For instance, when you are 2 seconds old that last second you lived was 50% of your life. Whereas when you are much older, one second is a tiny fraction of your life. So maybe as you get older you really do perceive time going faster because the brain processes time relative to how long it has been in existence.

I've heard other people talk about this idea before and I think Sean even mentioned it on the cast once so I'm sure there is some school of thought behind it.

So maybe as you get older you really do perceive time going faster because the brain processes time relative to how long it has been in existence.

It's such a downer, though. We're all rushing towards death.

And there goes the mood. I'll just forage for some dark eyeshadow and stand in the corner with the other sunflowers.

Actually, it goes deeper than just perception; there's biology to back that up too. As we get older, our brain becomes slower (liken it to going down in processor speed). As a result, the world around us and life itself seem to go faster. Less clock cycles per day = seemingly shorter days.

The relativity of time is further pointed out by how our brains can increase in speed under high duress. There was an amazing experiment centering around a blinking digital watch. The watch showed the time in minute fractions of a second, way too fast for the normal brain to process. Then, they strapped it onto a guy's wrist and threw him off a building (onto a trampoline ofc). During the fall, the adrenaline increased his brain speed so highly that he could read the time on the watch and tell it when he came off the trampoline. Pretty amazing.

Then, they strapped it onto a guy's wrist and threw him off a building (onto a trampoline ofc).

Everything else you said was really interesting but the imagery of this part is quite awesome. I just imagine a bunch of scientists in lab coats convincing a random guy on the street to come up to the roof of a nearby building. He sees a giant trampoline on the side of the building and asks what it's for and they just tell him not to worry about it. Then, when he gets to the roof they tell him to put on this really cool watch and as soon as he does, three of the scientists pick him up and toss him off the building.

Couldn't they have just done the test with a dude riding a rollercoaster or something? All joking aside, that is some really cool stuff. It is amazing how finely tuned our brains are and how slight changes in our brain chemistry can wildly alter our perceptions.

I just imagine a bunch of scientists in lab coats convincing a random guy on the street to come up to the roof of a nearby building.

It is amazing how finely tuned our brains are and how slight changes in our brain chemistry can wildly alter our perceptions.

The first thing I thought of was Wanted and curving bullets.

The first thing I thought of was Wanted and curving bullets.

I still haven't seen that movie. I was more picturing a certain scene in The Departed but with a big trampoline on the ground.

Is there such a thing as custom DVD commentaries?  Like commentaries made by people who had nothing to do with the movie but might have interesting things to say about it.  Sometimes I feel like that about video games while listening to Idle Thumbs, and it makes me want them to record a commentary for a movie that I can listen to as I watch it.  Kind of like a Let's Play, except with a movie.  A Let's Watch if you will.

If you'd like to see the watch experiment for yourself, I believe it was from the BBC documentary 'Time', hosted by physicist Michio Kaku.

Secretasiaman, there are a couple of alternative movie commentary services, mostly comedy based. Rifftrax is a well-known one (made by the guys from MST3000 if I'm not mistaken), and Plinkett/Red Letter Media made a few as well. For Star Wars, obv.

So what you're saying is I should never NOT be jumping off buildings.

SOLD.