toblix

Half-Life 3

I wanted to believe so much I didn't realise how ridiculous it was until the end... ;(

Thank you for keeping the dream alive.  :kiss:

That was just crazy enough to be true, and then it wasn't.

There's a certain number threeeeeeeee in the works at Vaaaalve!!!

T6k3fZR.png

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD....I swear, if they announce L4D3 before HL3, I'm gonna be miffed. Unless all the great rumors about L4D3 are true.

I would totally play Left 4 Dead with Half-Life zombies.

Is it out yet? I think it's been a whole lifetime since I last heard any official news about this game.

It has been. There has never been any official news on the project.

That's not true. They've confirmed several times that they are, in fact, working on it. Gabe even did a semi-interview about HL3 specifically (while referring to it as Ricochet 2) where it was explained that the reason it's taking so long is in part because people at Valve were burnt out on Half-Life and in part because they really didn't know what they wanted to do with it. That was maybe a couple years ago, at this point, though?

Also I just found this by Googling for Ricochet 2: http://www.computerandvideo games.com/386232/gabe-newell-is-talking-about-half-life-3-again/

And what appears to be a new interview, in podcast form: http://nerdist.libsyn.com/gabe-newell-valve-the-games

One could (and probably should) argue that Half-Life 2 is no longer the perfect game in today's world of game design, and Valve needs to take a step back and realize this, but that's a separate argument.

Oh, I found the RPS write-up about the original interview I was thinking of. It only happened last year, in fact! http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/23/gabe-on-ricochet-2-delay-but-he-doesnt-mean-ricochet/

I haven't gotten to that episode of the Nerdist yet, so I can't comment on that. As far as the article goes; it's a bit pedantic, but iIf he's not willing to say the name of the actual game, I don't call that offical news.

Either way it was mainly meant to be a somewhat mean-spirited joke with my dry sense of humor.

...that L4D3 is actually HL2:EP3:MultiplayerContentDrop ?

What if L4D3 is just one component in a second Orange Box type thing...HL2:EP3, Opposing Force 2, DeathMatch Classic 2, and L4D3...they could call it the Green Box!  What if the opening splash screen was a close up blurry picture of Gabe Newell's genitalia that slowly comes into focus and the the text "Newell's Jewels" slowly fades in.  Think about it...THINK ABOUT IT!!!!

Edit: Oh and Ricochet 2.0 would obviously be in there as well!

Edited by Vorlonesque

One could (and probably should) argue that Half-Life 2 is no longer the perfect game in today's world of game design, and Valve needs to take a step back and realize this, but that's a separate argument.

I strongly agree with that. Expectations over what video game protagonists in AAA games should be like have changed since HL2 and its subsequent episodes came out. Having a mute protagonist that simply acts as a conduit for player actions rather than a believable, expressive character doesn't cut it these days. If I worked at Valve, I'd be looking at the critical commentary that surrounded Bioshock Infinite, considering how the HL series has to deal with similar technical challenges, think about how the expectations for HL3 are going to be even greater than the incredibly high expectations that existed for BS:I, and decide that trying to satisfy those expectations would just be a fool's errand.

It has been. There has never been any official news on the project.

Ah, forgive me, I was trying to make a dumb joke. Some thing about half-lives... didn't really work out.

I strongly agree with that. Expectations over what video game protagonists in AAA games should be like have changed since HL2 and its subsequent episodes came out. Having a mute protagonist that simply acts as a conduit for player actions rather than a believable, expressive character doesn't cut it these days. If I worked at Valve, I'd be looking at the critical commentary that surrounded Bioshock Infinite, considering how the HL series has to deal with similar technical challenges, think about how the expectations for HL3 are going to be even greater than the incredibly high expectations that existed for BS:I, and decide that trying to satisfy those expectations would just be a fool's errand.

I'm not sure I agree with this! I think the high profile single player FPS has plenty of life. Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, and even Metro Last Light were big games, and the criticism (of BSI and even FC3) wasn't due to the nature of the games, but the narrative. Gordon gunning down hundreds of aliens IS the plot of Half Life, so there isn't the same dissonance as BSI.

Part of me wonders if they're are increasingly disinterested in games that aren't ongoing revenue sources? 

Also, the obvious Idle Thumbs enthusiast tie in is that Valve hired Clint Hocking, and we haven't really heard anything from him. I want to assume they put him on HL3, converting it to some kind of systematic open world thing.

Clint Hocking AND Thief Guy Whose Name I Can Never Remember!

I'm not sure I agree with this! I think the high profile single player FPS has plenty of life. Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, and even Metro Last Light were big games, and the criticism (of BSI and even FC3) wasn't due to the nature of the games, but the narrative. Gordon gunning down hundreds of aliens IS the plot of Half Life, so there isn't the same dissonance as BSI.

Part of me wonders if they're are increasingly disinterested in games that aren't ongoing revenue sources? 

I think that's a good assumption. A lot of news about Valve in recent years seems to focus on their experiments with digital distribution and the economy of Steam (TF2/DotA2, trading cards, etc). From what I remember, Gabe's talk at this year's DICE covered that stuff quite a bit.