gdf

Life

I am going on the Virginia Custom Beer Tour tomorrow.

It's in Pennsylvania, but her name is Virginia. I am very excited!

Oh my goodness what an amazing day. :)

Almost successfully moved in. Tomorrow I go into my transfer location for work to get some details down about my employment here. Then I'll feel it's proper to be fully relaxed.

Also Las Vegas is effing hot.

I'm in a class right now where we have to present our sketches and ideas and references before we finish the project

and there's some people in here that either do no work, can't draw, or can't gather any kind of interesting reference. Even though we generally have 3-5 hours of required lab time per week to gather something to show.

So because of this, I guess they have to show their creativity by rambling a whole fucking lot. It goes on forever, like two hours of half the class just blabbing instead of showing. Motion Graphics is a visual medium, what are these people doing by telling instead of showing? And I try to have as much sketches and such as possible to show and be concise so I spent 5 minutes max talking, if that, and let the images do the rest of the work.

Instead I have to sit through about 15 minutes of certain dudes in this class repeating themselves in 20 different ways. It's like I'm back at the last game company I was at where the dudes calling the shots up top who could not draw would make these 2-3 hour meetings just talking about all of their ideas to the artists because that is considered working.

But I think unlike that company what really drives me batshit in this class is every single one of the students that have this verbal diarrhea talk so god damn slow. They have frequent pauses, say "like" more than any other word and fill in a bunch of gaps of things they haven't thought of by doing 3 second long uhhhs and ummmms. Arggggh! Then sometimes they get stuck in a loop because I guess their brain broke so it goes, "like uhhhhh like uhhhh like uhhhh." Kill me.

And now I feel a little bit better after yelling that on the internet to people on Idlethumbs.

I finished writing my dissertation today and oh god my brain feels like it's been through a car wash but I'm so happy okay bye

I finished writing my dissertation today and oh god my brain feels like it's been through a car wash but I'm so happy okay bye

Congrats :D

After almost two months of living fridge-less; we finally have one!

Not only was it a free fridge, it's the best fridge I've ever been associated with in yerrrs.

Wow what's so great about this fridge? I want to see it now!

Congrats!

It's BIG! It doesn't have two doors or anything but you can fit multiple, yes multiple 1kg bags of frozen vegetables along with Mum's requisite tub of ice-cream!

But wait there's more; you can even store perishable plants and vegetables in their own square foot chiller. There's even space by about one foot by a half to store your milk products!

But seriously to even have a fridge after having barely any food in the house and certainly no milk products larger than a half 1L carton for a month and a bit, any fridge is amazing.

Adding to that is the fact that for the past 5 years I have mostly lived in either student halls or some of the dingiest crappy flats in the country and therefore never had access to a good fridge.

The one time I did have access to a good fridge my partner and I shared a flat with five other people who all left food never to be used in a freezer or fridge to gather mould and take up space. For an entire year, if we were lucky we would have space to hold 1kg frozen veggies for use in a risotto made later that night.

Ahhhh it's just. So, gooood to finally have a decent fridge.

I got a promotion today and am getting a raise, but I have to negotiate it and a lifetime of deferring conflict by being raised in a patriarchal society has left me totally unequipped to do this. I haven't been trained to accurately know my worth.

I have a Math degree from a very good liberal arts school, and took this job last May because I literally had no other options and needed to start helping my boyfriend pay rent before his school year ended (along with his TA stipend and he had no summer income.)

As a result of my desperation, I agreed to a starting wage that is very small in relation to the cost of living in Davis, and deserve this raise, but it's scary to ask for a 50% raise, but I know it will be less stressful than constantly worrying about money.

This is garbage advice based on a scientific study I read a long time ago, but I'm gonna offer it anyway. It was found in a study that women negotiate better when they're arguing for a friend of theirs to get a raise instead of themself. So maybe if you can manage some cognitive gymnastics you could try pretend you're arguing on someone else's behalf?

Congrats on the promotion! Go in there armed with examples of what other companies are paying someone at your new level, what the living costs are in Davis and how awesome you are at your job, then ask for a 75% raise and barter down. They've asked you to negotiate, they won't be surprised or angry when you do!

Without getting into too much detail, I finally got a prescription  for something I've needed and been trying to get forever, which is nice. Unfortunately it's not covered by NB medicare, so I had to pay ninety dollars for a three-month supply. Oof.

I still haven't been able to find a job. I know I've been asking a lot lately, but any financial help anyone can offer is appreciated.

My boss gives me a company car to drive because he doesn't trust my boyfriend's 2000 Pontiac Grand Am (shocking I know.) He gave me that starting back in November, so that plus the raise puts me in a really nice place.
I was able to get that 50% raise and it was mostly painless, especially when I explained to him that this was the only way I wasn't going to suffocate under the weight of my student loans forever.

tegan, I'm glad you were able to get your prescription, but I'm sorry it's not covered from insurance. I'll continue to highly recommend you on twitter to my mostly robot followers, and will think about what delightful thing I could have you draw. Now that I won't be pinching every penny, I have more flexibility in helping out.

My boss gave me a 25 cent raise yesterday. Not 25% but 25 cents. I don't think he knows the minimum wage in Chicago goes up to $10 an hour in July.

the cynic in me wonders if there is some sub-paragraph that affords businesses a period of grace based on the length of time since the employee's last raise :P 

Or that the company will be giving proportional raises when the minimum wage goes up and this will somehow result in you making less after those go through. Happened to my girlfriend last month, and she and her manager have been fighting head office on her behalf to right it since. Luckily, her manager is a swell guy and is going to bat for her on this.

I'm in a class right now where we have to present our sketches and ideas and references before we finish the project

and there's some people in here that either do no work, can't draw, or can't gather any kind of interesting reference. Even though we generally have 3-5 hours of required lab time per week to gather something to show.

So because of this, I guess they have to show their creativity by rambling a whole fucking lot. It goes on forever, like two hours of half the class just blabbing instead of showing. Motion Graphics is a visual medium, what are these people doing by telling instead of showing? And I try to have as much sketches and such as possible to show and be concise so I spent 5 minutes max talking, if that, and let the images do the rest of the work.

Instead I have to sit through about 15 minutes of certain dudes in this class repeating themselves in 20 different ways. It's like I'm back at the last game company I was at where the dudes calling the shots up top who could not draw would make these 2-3 hour meetings just talking about all of their ideas to the artists because that is considered working.

But I think unlike that company what really drives me batshit in this class is every single one of the students that have this verbal diarrhea talk so god damn slow. They have frequent pauses, say "like" more than any other word and fill in a bunch of gaps of things they haven't thought of by doing 3 second long uhhhs and ummmms. Arggggh! Then sometimes they get stuck in a loop because I guess their brain broke so it goes, "like uhhhhh like uhhhh like uhhhh." Kill me.

And now I feel a little bit better after yelling that on the internet to people on Idlethumbs.

Finding that stuff in art school sometimes too

Without getting into too much detail, I finally got a prescription  for something I've needed and been trying to get forever, which is nice. Unfortunately it's not covered by NB medicare, so I had to pay ninety dollars for a three-month supply. Oof.

I still haven't been able to find a job. I know I've been asking a lot lately, but any financial help anyone can offer is appreciated.

90 for three months isn't as bad as it can get, believe me.

I'm trying to settle in still on this move but in a week or two when my work schedule normalizes I'll see what I can do tegan, should it come to that. But I hope a job is found in that time.

So holy shit, this happened yesterday.

2WFzJPM.jpg

The bus went over a curb, across the berm, into the first row of cars in the parking lot, into the second row of cars in the parking lot, and then decided it was tired and took a rest on the grass.

Everyone was fine. Some of the bus passengers, minutes after, were still holding on to the standing straps because what the hell else are you going to do. The cars were not fine. An exciting lunch.

i thought Glasgow would be bigger than a patch of grass

Goddamn internet libertarians and their neverending need to argue on the internet.

'works at Google' who saw that coming

What the fuck is with brands spray painting their shit onto random things? Do they just want to show they're hip, cool, with it brands who get down with Banks -- no, Melissa, I'm pretty sure there's no Y at the end, that sounds like something a child would say, it's just Banks -- or is this some kind of proven thing? Has this been common for a long time? It's been popping up here a whole lot lately (for a restaurant loyalty rewards app...?) over the last few weeks and it just drives me crazy to see this obnoxious fucking owl stenciled somewhere new every day.

I have strong feelings about brands.

The real world is just one big Google search engine results page and you gotta spray paint your SEO all over it. Graffiti artists are just brand evangelists. Pedestrian eyes are your click-throughs.

I hate branding. I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if I found an article Monday morning about how tagging your logo is the next big thing. It would involve a pun about tagging stuff with spray paint and the word hashtags and how hashtags are yesterday's news.

My friends back home say that it's a common guerrilla marketing tactic, and the phrase guerrilla marketing makes me want to not be a part of this world anymore.