ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Yes, the first two seasons are amazing. Have you seen the latest episode that premiered on the 1st?

I saw it. Very good character stuff, not so good puzzle-plot stuff.

I really like that, instead of picking up and explaining everything from the second season ending, they're using Sherlock's survival to wind fans up and enact ridiculous theories on film.

I saw it. Very good character stuff, not so good puzzle-plot stuff.

That's how I feel, too. And I'm okay with that.

Man, what a funny episode. LOVED IT.

I thought season 5 of community would be shit. Episode 1 wasn't going, but episode 2 made everything alright. This is going to be fun.

I watched the last episode of Master's Sun last night, I guess it's time to go back to real-life.

It was nice that the ending didn't disappoint me, but I find myself wanting to hang out with the main two characters for a while longer. I know that the reality of that would be convoluted instances of one being in danger and the other having to urgently find them, but... I don't know, it was fun to be so distracted by the show for two weeks. Maybe there's some fan-fic.

Recently rewatched the weird and wonderful Zardoz with Sean Connery in fetish outfit. Wrote a Filmadeus review of it which you can read here:

http://www.filmadeus.com/2014/01/zardoz-john-boorman-1974.html

Pluggerdy pluggy: if you like what you read, please click the Follow on Facebook link thing at the right hand of the page to get updates on your social network of choice*.

* As long as that social network is Facebook

Recorded my podcast's big end of year 2013 film episode. Here are my top 20 movies of the year:

1. Upstream Color
2. The Act of Killing
3. Computer Chess
4. Leviathan
5. Room 237
6. Berberian Sound Studio
7. The World's End
8. The Wolf of Wall Street
9. Frances Ha
10. Cutie and the Boxer
11. Inside Llewyn Davis
12. Her
13. Gravity
14. Blackfish
15. Stories We Tell
16. Nebraska
17. Spring Breakers
18. It's A Disaster
19. 2 Guns
20. Iron Man 3

Sherlock ep2 was on last night and it was fucking hilarious.

last ep in the series is next Sunday, i heard Moffat on the radio this morning having a mini interview (i think it was Moffat) anyway he said that the final episode is going to be a lot darker and serious.

interesting titbit, Sherlocks parents in the last episode were Benedict Cumberbatch's real parents

I enjoyed both of the episodes, although I was hoping for a bigger mystery (as in an episode long case) for the second one. Looking forward to the final episode and to waiting for the fourth series. 

I was a little disappointed by the first episode of the season 3, but yesterday Sherlock returned in top form. Very funny, very smart, and in stark contrast to the previous episode, which boringly portrayed Sherlock as some kind of superman, this story was all about his shortcomings.

"John, I am a ridiculous man."

Episode 2 is out now? Sweet. I actually liked the previous one as well. Holmes and Watson were always the strongest parts of the series, and without that screechingly awful Moriarty to get in the way it's actually fun again. Shame about the whole mystery thing I guess, but that's not really why I liked the first two episodes of the series anyway.

Also, MLP Season 4 is pretty good, yaaaaay! There's a lot of just really funny moments, and at this point their even going into stuff that I'd say Futurama might have done in its heyday. An Avengersish mashup in a magic comic book? Sure why not!

Man, I loved Moriarty.  He's so much more interesting than the standard "evil professor" portrayal.  Good to hear that the second episode is good.  In each of the past 2 seasons, I thought the second episode was usually the weakest one.

I watched an episode of The X-Files with a kid suffering the stigmata preventing Armageddon and Scully was all about that shit.

Kind of awkward and felt really forced and out of place. While I appreciate the idea of Scully actually having a strong faith in Something, finally, it's just... I felt like if they really wanted to go down the religion route they shouldn't have made it actually supernatural. It basically cements Christianity as FACT in the canon of the series. Which I don't like. I wish they'd explained it away with the typical Mulder "Weird shit be happ'n'n', yo" deal, instead of making it actually about Christianity.

(It probably doesn't help that I inherently dislike religion, I suppose.)

Also SERIOUSLY SCULLY YOU'RE STILL NOT BUYING INTO THE ALIEN STUFF WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOUR BRAIN

Since 2010 I've been keeping track of my favourite 10 movies of each year (I went as far back as 2006 exclusively so I could include The Departed in a list.)

I figured I would list em out.

Keeping that in mind these are MY favourite movies, and are in no way a measure of quality of even a recommendation. I have a pretty awful taste in movies, I like the extremely dumb action films, sci-fi, and cynical personal stories, for reference.

Also, I've yet to see a few movies (Inside Llewyn Davis, Rush), so the list is as always, subject to change.

10. Walter Mitty

9. The Counselor

8. 12 Years a Slave

7. Pacific Rim

6. White House Down

5. Elysium

4. Star Trek: Into Darkness

3. Wolf of Wallstreet

2. This Is The End

1. Gravity

This year has been a fantastic year for movies. Honorable Mentions include:

21 and Over

Iron Man 3

Fast 6

Man of Steel

The World's End

Oblivion (Surprisingly good Sci-Fi)

Prisoners

Pain and Gain

Visiting my movie watching buddy so I've been on a bit of a spree the last couple days.

The Comedy - Darkly, sadly hilarious.

Kill List - Brutal, intriguing. Kind of trails off towards the end.

A Field In England - What?

Ran - Haven't seen this in way too long. Incredible. Contains the most beautifully shot battle scene I think I've ever seen.

Blue Is The Warmest Colour - As convincing and relatable as its sex scenes are hilarious.

And Community is good again! 3rd episode was a barrel of laughs!

I am hesitant! For no other reason than that I'm hesitant and I don't believe they won't continue their line of 'overwrought canonical masturbation in slow motion or we'll shoot' comedy!

It's a genre.