ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

So you bought a tv and never even plugged it in? Can I have it?

Three years ago I moved into this apartment, which had a TV already. It's my TV now because my roommate left it when he moved out - it turns out it was never his TV in the first place because it had been left here by the previous roommate. So effectively three years ago when I moved it, that became my TV as much as it became my roommate's TV.

Total fucking bummer, but Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his appartment today. Current word on the street is that he OD'd on something.  :tdown:  :tdown:  :tdown:  :tdown:  :(

Fuck! :(

Well, that sucks. He was fantastic in The Master (among other things).

Incidentally, I was just watching Boogie Nights when I heard the news. 

Huge bummer. One of those fantastic actors who could just inhabit any role. Damn sad.

I can't imagine hearing news while watching a movie. When I watch a movie I isolate myself from everything else.

Man, when I watch a movie, I am constantly doing other things. Half the time I'm not even really watching the movie and might find myself rewinding. Exceptions: when I go to a movie theater, obviously. But even then I'll lean over and whisper to a friend every now and then.

Movies are too dang long.

I refuse to believe he died. What in the absolute fuck, he was this generation's greatest actors. At least he's left behind one fucking hell of a legacy. He was a master of subtlety, someone who got into his character's skin and understood them. I can't think of a single movie he's been in where he hasn't elevated it into something much greater, much grander. 

Fuck. Rest in peace, Hoffman. You shall truly be missed.

This has been a shitty week for cinema.

I finished watching the newest season of Sherlock last night.  I still like it, but I think they're trying too hard.  I prefer the first season when it was cleaner and more pure Sherlock mystery.

I feel like Sherlock jumped the gun way to fast, they could have had a few more seasons like the first one before they went whole hog like they did. At this point I'm assuming it will be a year or two before season 4 and I don't really think I'll miss it in the meantime.

I was speaking to a massive A.C.D. Sherlock fan the other night, and she said that third episode was one of the most faithful adaptations they've done. The original featured a man blackmailing women, and Watson as, very likely, an unreliable narrator.

In the original, according to Watson Holmes doesn't kill the blackmailer, a woman who is being blackmailed turns up and does the deed. When described, she apparently sounds very similar to Holmes.

That said, at the end of this series I thought "Well it's no Poirot". It's pretty well made, fluffy entertainment.

I thought it was the weirdest thing, and sort of jumped the shark, despite it perhaps being alluded to in the original material. In this iteration of the fiction, it completely fell apart. But then season 3 has been filled with world-breaking events that make me view the show with a sense of anarchic enjoyment, but certainly not the serious consideration it once had and in an ideal world, still should have.

The problem with the long gaps is they feel they have to go with a cliffhanger to keep people on the hook, but with only 3 episodes, you're spending the beginning of ep 1 and end of ep 3 resolving and setting up cliffhangers respectively. It's hard to evoke a sense of "Holmes & Watson solving everyday mysteries" when they're obliged to spend so much time on events that are full of heightened drama/peril.

The problem with the long gaps is they feel they have to go with a cliffhanger to keep people on the hook, but with only 3 episodes, you're spending the beginning of ep 1 and end of ep 3 resolving and setting up cliffhangers respectively. It's hard to evoke a sense of "Holmes & Watson solving everyday mysteries" when they're obliged to spend so much time on events that are full of heightened drama/peril.

Frankly I love that they do that. I absolutely hate just watching the same episode again and again, except now the names of the secondary characters are changed. Which is what most TV seems to be, and why I don't watch it. So I'm fine with "things actually happening and changing". I also think the series jumped over several sharks after Moriarty came in. If a gay Heath Ledger style Joker in a mystery series doesn't jump the shark then I'm not sure what would.

Is it that the tone of the series changed from being self serious to not so much that has everyone up in arms? I see all the "jump the shark" posts, but I'd love to know specifics of why other think the series has.

Is it that the tone of the series changed from being self serious to not so much that has everyone up in arms?

I think that's overstating it, it's still maybe currently my favourite thing on tv. It's just that the more over the top it goes, the more it becomes Doctor Who minus the sci fi. And, again, don't get me wrong, I like Doctor Who as well, but I was hoping for more of a difference in tone between the two.

It's the problem with an iterative formula, in this example a TV series. You continually have to out due your last season, which itself ended with "what is the most world shattering event we can have these characters experience". Season 3 may have not been as strong as the previous seasons, but I think its a long ways away from being as bad as people have been claiming. Their main problem going forward will be their choice in villains

having killed the 2 most significant of Holme's villains

and drawing continued inspiration from post "The Final Problem" stories which were slim enough pickings before Magnussen (originally, Milverton) (also, as someone who hated "The Adventure of C.A. Milverton" I absolutely loved his portrayal in Season 3). 

jesus christ is cartoon that 15 years old

i'm old

EDIT: 14 but still uwheouheohw

TV recommendations, eh? Series 3 of Rake (the Australian dramedy, not the apparently forgettable US remake) starts up shortly. The first two series are a compact 8 episodes each. It's certainly sillier than most antihero TV shows, but that larrikin nature is part of its charm.

Horrible Bosses is really quite funny. Then again with Jason Bateman, Jason Sudekis, and Charlie Day as the main cast I don't know what else I should've expected. I just wish Colin Farrel hadn't died in the first one, because there's a sequel coming and even though he was on for only 5 minutes in the first he was the funniest god damned thing in it. I demand of him to be in more comedies! I haven't seen someone just nail comedic timing like that since Jim Carrey was in his prime.

Speaking of Horrible Bosses, the director Seth Gordon is now on the Uncharted Movie. I'm glad that idiot drip that was initially on it left, "Family of treasure hunters prot-" you don't even know what the game is motherfucker! At least Seth Gordon actually plays games. I'd just like to nominate Bruce Cambell for the role of Sully.

I was actually surprised by Horrible Bosses because, when it first came out, a couple of people told me it was a terrible movie, so I didn't bother watching it until a few months ago, and I actually found it to be pretty funny.

...also I apparently say actually a lot. Huh.