ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Miike's work ethic is definitely impressive. I appreciate his inventiveness as a director, although I think all the extreme violence stuff doesn't hold up as well upon reflection so I don't find myself coming back to his movies very much. I do think Audition and Gozu are both pretty superb though. Gozu in particular is wonderfully bizarre.

I only saw Ichi very recently and it's still every bit as whatever the hell it was in its day. Good?

Gravity review: Contrary to the title, it contains barely any gravity. In fact, almost all other movies have more gravity. 2/10.

Of course not, I loved it. Many flaws, but still a masterclass in suspence and "less is more".

I wish Gravity was like the gravity chamber from DBZ where they train, so it'd be a movie of guys working out, but when they do push ups they grunt really loud so you know they're working out under like 10 times the normal gravity on earth.

Yeah, and a father trains his kid to within an inch of his life to defeat a hardy nemesis!

And then they take a nice warm bath together to aid the healing process of the body! Power level increased by a few hundred at least.

And then they eat all of the food in the pantry only to have more magically re-appear for the next meal.

Where does the Ace Attorney movie fall on the Takahashi Miike scale?

It is not particularly bloody - there's some deaths, but they're mostly pretty tame. It is very faithful to the goofy tone of the game - I mean it's not a masterpiece, but we had a Japanese Video game movie night and it looked pretty damn good compared to Advent Children and Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva. (Also, despite the fact only one of my friends likes Hawaiian, all my friends agreed that Professor Layton as a franchise doesn't really work. So proud of them.) Ace Attorney is very faithful to the game, so you already know what happens, but it actually works as a movie.

I just finished watching John Dies at the End followed by Trading Places.

Both are great movies. Dang.

Just got around to watching In Bruges. Why didn't I watch this sooner again?

Gravity review: Contrary to the title, it contains barely any gravity. In fact, almost all other movies have more gravity. 2/10.

Of course not, I loved it. Many flaws, but still a masterclass in suspence and "less is more".

I wish they applied that attitude to some of the dialog. I didn't mind most of it, I even kind of liked Clooney's character, but man it got hammy towards the end.

Computer Chess. Computer Chess. Computer Chess. Holy shit, Computer Chess.

Computer Chess? Computer Chess. It's on Netflix Instant. You should watch it. In the deluge of nerd-centric media that we've been hit with the past several years, it's the only one that feels like it's actually honestly about nerds. If you have any interest in early 80's computer programming, the insane painstaking detail that has gone into recreating that culture here (down to being shot on a video camera from that time) is more than worth your time. It's...wow. You should see it.

Is there a website that tells you when to stop watching a particular series? Like Red Dwarf, where you watch up to season 6, or Parks & Rec, where you start from season 3 and if you like it go back to season 2, or Heroes, where you stop watching partway through the final episode of season 1.

Pacific Rim is a darn fun movie.

Yeah, it has problems, but it had one job and it nailed it.

The increasing importance of the Asian cinema markets really worked well for it - it didn't do so hot in America, but China and Japan went nuts for it so it's getting a sequel.

Here's a TV recommendation! One of my buddies has a pilot airing on NAT GEO on Sunday, Nov 17 10pm, called Monster Survival Guide. I wrote some jokes! If the ratings are good they'll pick up a series and I'll get to make a cameo! Lets do this!

It's a fake follow doc about a monster hunter/amateur cryptozoologist Campbell Macabre.

Preview!

http://vimeo.com/78668972

Campbell Macabre is maybe my favorite fake name ever.

Is there a website that tells you when to stop watching a particular series? Like Red Dwarf, where you watch up to season 6, or Parks & Rec, where you start from season 3 and if you like it go back to season 2, or Heroes, where you stop watching partway through the final episode of season 1.

I use the av club reviews to figure stuff like that out. Right now I am watching Babylon 5 and Deep space nine and reading the opening paragraph of the episode is generally enough for me to know if it is and episode I should watch. Tv review sites/podcasts in general I find give me a good idea of when to start and stop shows as long as I am not trying to be fully up to date with the show

Here's a TV recommendation! One of my buddies has a pilot airing on NAT GEO on Sunday, Nov 17 10pm, called Monster Survival Guide. I wrote some jokes! If the ratings are good they'll pick up a series and I'll get to make a cameo! Lets do this!

It's a fake follow doc about a monster hunter/amateur cryptozoologist Campbell Macabre.

Preview!

Nice! The trailer was funny, it perfectly captured the style of NatGeo/Discovery/History Channel trailers for real shows.

Preview!

The tone is perfect, but I'm surprised that the National Geographic Channel is airing a mockumentary. Is this one of those cases of channel decay?

I just came out of Clue after, I believe, a recommendation on these very forums. What a delightful farce. Fun, energetic, and once Tim Curry starts exhaustively explaining the plot, it's a tour de force of physical comedy. My god, at one point he pulls a woman up the stairs and when she can't keep up halfway through the flight, allows her to just drop down and not look back.

Holy crap, where do I start? Well, here's some movies I've watched recently (or rather, re-watched)

Secret Honor:

Probably my favorite Robert Altman film. An interesting portrait of the maniacal psyche of Richard Nixon, played by the legendary Phillip Baker Hall. Seriously, stop reading this and go watch it. I'm specially talking to you, film school students and creative writing majors!

- A Tale of Two Sisters

Fascinating South Korean horror film. Won't go too much into detail, but suffice to say, if you want to see a movie that builds so much tension that it would give Hitchcock a run for his money, this film is for you. Props also go to the fact that it's based on a certain South Korean folklore story, but I can't remember its name for the life of me.

Paprika

Satoshi Kon's last anime film before his death in 2010, and one that most encapsulates his brilliant, colorful mind. Many have said that this is the Inception before Inception, and they wouldn't be wrong, since Christopher Nolan has said Paprika inspired him to make Inception. But where Inception displays dreams as being cold and calculated algorithms of the human mind, Paprika presents dreams as a jungle of psychedelic beauty and excitement, as extensions of the mind's capacity to create and build, rather than tools of remembrance and calculation. 

Gravity

Go. Watch dat shit. Specially in IMAX, if you can. Just...go.

The tone is perfect, but I'm surprised that the National Geographic Channel is airing a mockumentary. Is this one of those cases of channel decay?

I think it's channel decay and a few other things at work. According to him a lot of cable networks think the sun is setting on reality and they're trying to move to scripted shows, but most networks have no experience with that and it's been weird. Also, the reality component that never existed in those shows has become even less as they've gone for more "out there" concepts in search of ratings (leading back into decay). Before this show he was lead editor on Duck Dynasty, and the whole thing is basically scripted already.