ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Elysium wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. Sure the metaphor was heavy handed, but no more so than some of the heavy handed shite that people love like Inception or The Hunger Games as a movie. Also it was god damned beautiful to look at, I wished I'd seen it in a huge high quality theater because the visuals were just :o

If there was an annoying thing it was that the metaphor was so "current" rather than actual sci-fi stuff being involved. Oh look a hundred+ years from now medical technology has only evolved for the rich because shut up! Still worthy of the fun action and gorgeous visuals though, I hope I can one day convince Blokamp to do Ringworld, I think he'd nail a lot of it.

Almost Human Ok, I didn't actually watch all of it yet. But it had one of those cheapy assed annoying "future sci-fi ordinary shit up!" moments that annoy me unduly. A guy was throwing up into a toilet, and there was a manual flush handle of all things, except they made it have a friggen neon glowy blue ring around it and the handle glow blue a bit to make it "sci-fi". That just screams of laziness and stupidity, couldn't you have at least just found an autoflush toilet?

It's fun finding out what people think the analogy in Elysium is, because everyone agrees it's heavy-handed but everyone has a slightly different idea on what exactly it's so clearly saying.

Just saw The World's End last night. I am absolutely in love with it. For me it's almost up there with Shaun of the Dead. It gets rockier towards the end (but so did Shaun), but apparently (from reading reviews) I'm the only one who thought the epilogue was great and hilarious.

Edgar Wright knocks it out of the park visually and it was funny through-out. The cast is great. I'm really looking forward to re-watching it soon to catch all the little gags.

It also helped that the audience seemed to consist only of fans of the trio's work. It premiered only last week here in Denmark, with no advertisement at all, so only die-hard fans showed up for the screening, seemingly. So all of the little cameos and callbacks got huge laughs.

Best comedy I've seen this year.

That article is definitely one of his best.

Possession (1981): When I tell you that this is a horror film titled "Possession", keep in mind the word's most commonly used definitions. This is a domestic melodrama heightened to the hallucinatory. A nightmarish vortex of jealousy and resentment, where time seems to circle forever in the most painful moments of a break-up. Which doesn't sound like a good time, and probably is not, but it is also dazzlingly shot and manages to be bleak and weary while consistently surprising you. You simultaneously never have any idea what will happen next and know everything that is happening will keep happening, forever. Most movies that attempt to erode audience emotionally end up feeling tedious. There is no way you could call Possession tedious. It's too weird. Can't reccommend it enough. 

I loved The World's End enough to see it twice, and gained an even greater appreciation for it when reading Film Crit Hulk explain how the movie is using a sci-fi framework to depict alcoholism. (This is a Bruce Banner version for easier reading.)

Whoah, how wasn't I aware of this Hulk article?! That was a pretty good read, thanks for the link!

Tonight's Sons of Anarchy was good, in fact the whole season has been, but I don't trust a show that's run this long to take the plot anywhere else besides maximum drama, so cliffhangers aren't really cliffhangers, no matter how they dress 'em.

I watched gravity in 3D IMAX last night. It the first time I've ever had my I MAXED and it was spectacularly. Would highly recommend... Although it was the final showing in IMAX so people may have missed the boat

Other things I've seen...

Prisoners. Absolutely infuriating. It's aesthetically really well done, good performances, but it's made for stupid people. Everything in the film is signposted with flashing lights, I was literally screaming at the television towards the end of the film waiting for the detective to catch up with what you figured out half an hour before. Wasted opportunity, not nearly dark enough, isn't a patch on the likes of Seven.

The black list. I watched the first two episodes a couple of days ago and really liked it. Looking forward to watching more. Two episode in and they have already established some big interesting cross season story arcs :tup: give it a go!

Prisoners. Absolutely infuriating. It's aesthetically really well done, good performances, but it's made for stupid people. Everything in the film is signposted with flashing lights, I was literally screaming at the television towards the end of the film waiting for the detective to catch up with what you figured out half an hour before. Wasted opportunity, not nearly dark enough, isn't a patch on the likes of Seven.

Really? I felt the film wasn't preoccupied about the mystery itself, but on how the characters reacted to the situation. It felt like a character piece than just a mystery film, focusing more on the journey than the quite obvious destination. But oh well, 

Anyways. I watched Wayne's World because I felt like laughing, and boy did I laugh. The advertisement scene always kills me. 

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

"Well directed" but really rather perfunctory. The pacing felt, if not rushed then it was a two and a half hour movie that didn't feel like it covered two and a half hours worth of material. And the ending makes the entire thing feel like an exercise in "middle of the story" storytelling. Like you could have just skipped half the story and moved on to the actual finale for all it matters.

The World's End

Now this is a good movie. Smart, clever, funny, surprising ending that's also just plain badass. An allegory about human society and fuckups and alcoholism that's never preachy and constantly funny. I never really "got" Hot Fuzz, but I liked The World's End as much as Shaun of the Dead. I'm going to watch it again sometime and it's going to be a good movie still, and that's awesome.

I watched Man of Steel. Fuck that was bad. Really fucking bad. I fucking hate that movie.

Yeah it's fucking terrible, I saw it with a group of like 30 (company engineering outing) and literally no one liked it. Godawful.

I just watched Primer. What the hell was that? Intruiging and baffling. I feel I want to watch this again in a year or so, perhaps with someone to talk about it afterwards.

Primer is awesome.

If you liked that I can recommend you Nothing.

Am I stupid for thinking Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs is kind of an awesome movie?

You are not, because it is excellent. It's from the creators of Clone High, after all.

It is indeed excellent. You should proudly exclaim that you think it is awesome. I've heard the sequel is not, however. Which is sad. :sad:

Glad to hear other people appreciate it too. It's become my daughter's favorite movie and I find myself getting into it every time she puts it on.