ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Yeah, I saw Max's journey in this movie as going from feral beast into passably-human hermit/loner. I don't know that I 100% liked the performance he gave, but I believe I understand what he was going for.

He was originally supposed to have no lines, all of his dialogue was dubbed in.

Is that true? A lot of his lines sound kind of dubbed, but there's plenty of moments where you see his mouth move and at least one that makes no sense if he's not speaking.

Tom Hardy is such a good actor he knows when he is not the protagonist. One of my favorite things about Fury Road is how unrelatable and inscrutable Max is. It allows Furiosa's story to shine.

But seriously, watch Bronson and then Inception and then Locke and then Mad Max to get an idea of how good an actor he is. He's basically in a "Gary Oldman in the 90's" mode right now where he veers between wildly different characters, nailing them every time.

But seriously, watch Bronson and then Inception and then Locke and then Mad Max to get an idea of how good an actor he is. He's basically in a "Gary Oldman in the 90's" mode right now where he veers between wildly different characters, nailing them every time.

So what you're saying is that he plays

G7Rxgh.jpg

I saw Fury Road and I was not expecting to see Tony Stonem as a Warboy.

He was fucking brilliant. But he was always great on Skins. Speaking of Skins, it was so good up until that three movie Season 7 set. What a bummer the series ended on that note.

Tom Hardy is such a good actor he knows when he is not the protagonist. One of my favorite things about Fury Road is how unrelatable and inscrutable Max is. It allows Furiosa's story to shine.

Not gonna bother with Inception, I hate Nolan stuff. I suppose I may end up watching the other two but so far, I've seen overtly mediocre performances. Plus guys, it's not like I don't understand what he was going for with Mad Max, the silent warrior is not a new archetype to me. I'm saying he failed. And since the overdubs were brought up, it was a bit bizarre sometimes the movie would revert to American's Funniest Home Videos with him.

I think the movie would have been much stronger had his character been axed completely and just titled Road Warrior Fury Road and made it about Furiosa completely. I guess there's a franchise to make money off of there, but Mel Gibson's not back, so it's not a huge deal in my opinion. But I guess at the end of the day, it's not a deep film and the draw is the action and stunts, so whether or not the performance of the actors was amazing or not, it's more important that the wreckage is stellar.

Is that true? A lot of his lines sound kind of dubbed, but there's plenty of moments where you see his mouth move and at least one that makes no sense if he's not speaking.

They deliberately tried to pick scenes where he was either facing away from the camera or had his mouth open, from my understanding.

Anyone else seen Kung Fury yet?

Just saw Kung Fury, loving it.

For anyone who hasn't clicked on that video yet, you're really missing out.

6kkv7uZ.png

Hey guys, have you heard, Fury Road's really good! (super late to the party, finally saw it this afternoon)

I don't get the complaints about Hardy's acting, as is said in the movie he starts off half feral and the implication is that he hasn't even had much human contact in quite awhile.  Being gruff and short makes sense both with everything that's going on, and with the context of his character at that point. 

They deliberately tried to pick scenes where he was either facing away from the camera or had his mouth open, from my understanding.

Do you have a source for that? It's not that I don't believe you, it just doesn't make sense, because there's an extremely important plot scene that makes no sense if Max isn't talking. And there are definitely points where people respond to things he's said, which doesn't make sense if he wasn't supposed to speak in the first place.

It may be that mid-production they decided that he should talk after all and dubbed over some scenes and also recorded some other new scenes.

I haven't been able to find the source that I heard it from, but it's possible that I misinterpreted it or even that some scenes were redubbed by the whole cast or even shot after much of the rest of the film. It does seem clear from Wikipedia's production notes that the film was originally intended to have no or minimal dialogue.

EDIT: yeah what twig said

Hmm, reading the production section of the Wikipedia page, that's not the sense I got. It says that Miller storyboarded the film before writing the screenplay and that he also intended the visuals to come first, but not that Max or any other character wasn't supposed to have any lines at all.

What I read, but I'm not sure if it's true, is that they used CGI to put in the moving lips later. Or maybe they still had SOME lines that were there originally, just even way less than we see in the final movie?

It may be that mid-production they decided that he should talk after all and dubbed over some scenes and also recorded some other new scenes.

Yeah. The movie was in production, one way or another, for almost fifteen years. Even just in the past couple of years, it was getting extensive re-shoots, mostly because it was bombing with test audiences. It's fully possible that there was a complete non-verbal cut of the movie that was re-shot with dialogue.

I just finished watching Kingsman and sorely needed that movie. What a bunch of silly fun.

As I said on Twitter too, I think that church scene may have just overtaken the scene from Blues Brothers as my favourite movie church scene.

(Also: GREAT use of Freebird.)

Yeah. The movie was in production, one way or another, for almost fifteen years. Even just in the past couple of years, it was getting extensive re-shoots, mostly because it was bombing with test audiences. It's fully possible that there was a complete non-verbal cut of the movie that was re-shot with dialogue.

Damn... now I want to see it. How is it possible though that it was bombing and finally turned out one of the best movies ever created?

I should point out that Gorm is including pre-production in that. Assuming Wikipedia is correct and I'm reading it right, the film was shot from July 2012 to December 2012 with some re-shoots in November 2013.

I really enjoyed Kung Fury. I was mildly irritated by it wandering from its central conceit occasionally, but it's so impressive and fun!

Kung Fury was fun, but I'm glad it was only 30 minutes.  If they'd tried to make that a 90 minute film, I feel like it would have run out of steam.

90 minute version would be streched out more.

90 minute Kung Fury is a box of Lucky Charms, 30 minute Kung Fury is an ebay seller offering you an entire bag of cereal marshamallows.

I think Kung Fury is best watched split up into Vines and watched in random order over the course of a month. 

I should point out that Gorm is including pre-production in that. Assuming Wikipedia is correct and I'm reading it right, the film was shot from July 2012 to December 2012 with some re-shoots in November 2013.

From what I remember, the test screenings that led to the reshoots were actually really positive. The reshoots were because, on the back of the test screening results, Miller asked for money to have another crack at a particular stunt, and Warner figured that they had a solid enough foundation.

I hope they have some really good making-of stuff on the blu-ray that covers all this stuff.

Here's a fun before and after VFX article: http://www.fxguide.com/featured/a-graphic-tale-the-visual-effects-of-mad-max-fury-road/

Huh! I was convinced the steering wheel flying into the camera in the War Rig crash was a 3D model, but apparently they actually filmed that somehow. It's obviously a layer unto itself on top of the crash footage, so it's technically still CGI'd into the shot.