ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Harley Quinn is a medical professional with a PHD in criminal psychology.

Sure, but she never trained as a nurse. If she was going to play doctor, wouldn't she put on a lab coat and actually be a doctor because that's what she was?

Well if she was a PhD she probably wasn't wearing a lab coat to begin with. So dressing up as what she "was" would probably just have meant a suit.

I presumed she was just dressed that way due to setting. The main copyable professions that would work there would be doctor, nurse and guard. They presumably chose nurse either because it was the easiest to make "sexy" or because they felt it fit Harley or both.

That Harley is, but to be fair I only really know her Animated Series incarnation, where she managed to become a fan favourite without showing any skin.

Sure, but she is wearing a skin-tight jumpsuit instead, which doesn't leave much to the imagination.

Sure, but she is wearing a skin-tight jumpsuit instead, which doesn't leave much to the imagination.

There's a big difference between this

Harley_Quinn.png

and basically every other incarnation of Harley I've seen... I'd barely call that sexualized at all. Maybe someone will tell me I'm wrong, but, like, that's nothin'?

Yeah, in comparison it's not that much at all. I'm just saying that she's still sexualised to some degree? idk what I'm saying, ignore me and carry on.  :getmecoat

I mean it's not perfect, I guess? But she doesn't even have the boob-sock you see so often in superhero costumes! (Nevermind that it's probably relatively simple because it's animated, and not because they didn't want to go that far. Maybe.)

I mean it's not perfect, I guess? But she doesn't even have the boob-sock you see so often in superhero costumes! (Nevermind that it's probably relatively simple because it's animated, and not because they didn't want to go that far. Maybe.)

Alternately, because her body is identical to every other woman Bruce Timm has ever drawn.

Hah well I dunno who that is.

Also I'm talking about this cartoon like I ever watched it. I saw like five episodes total probably.

I finally finished up Daredevil.  I still think it moves way too slow and the level of violence was kind of off-putting but otherwise I enjoyed it.  Fisk ended up being a far more interesting (if a little clichéd) character than I was anticipating and the show picked up a lot more once he got involved.  I'd watch more of it.

I enjoyed the series as well, and boy, is it nice to have a good show to watch in the MCU.

Hah well I dunno who that is.

Also I'm talking about this cartoon like I ever watched it. I saw like five episodes total probably.

Character designer for nearly every DC cartoon between Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League. Does a lot of very clean, stylized designs at the expense of giving everyone one of three body types: Guy, Big Guy, Skinny Guy, and Girl. And they all have the same hilariously straightlaced default standing pose.

EJCAQBk.jpg

To be fair I still think that everything he's worked on has been goddamn brilliant, I just have some criticisms.

To be fair I still think that everything he's worked on has been goddamn brilliant, I just have some criticisms.

To give credit where it's due, it took him a decade but he did finally figure out how to draw Amanda Waller.

I kid, I kid. I love his work, and honestly superhero body types are largely just interchangeable action-figure molds in general, so it doesn't bother me all that much.

Yeah, in comparison it's not that much at all. I'm just saying that she's still sexualised to some degree? idk what I'm saying, ignore me and carry on.  :getmecoat

Well, there was the episode "Mad Love" which features this scene

night.jpg

The episode is an almost exact reproduction of the award winning one-shot comic "Mad Love", which was also written by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm.

IgnoreFanservice_7249.jpg

I really hope Fury Road will be good. Latest news: Eve Ensler, writer of The Vagina Monologues, was asked to consult on the film to ensure the emotional reality of sex slavery translated properly into a world where someone plays the guitar while tethered to the top of a car chase.

Also, main non-Max hero is named Furiosa, continuing the Mad Max theme of characters having incredibly silly names that impossibly somehow work.

I think it also shores up for me why the Mad Max game being developed by Avalanche can't help but feel like all those Western Silent Hill games; Mad Max is Australian in a way that Americans can appreciate but cannot reproduce. (I am fully prepared to eat crow if this turns out to be not true, but the idea of Max being the central character and having his own goals feels completely alien to Mad Max.)

I'm hyped as hell for that new Mad Max. The trailers are gorgeous, and that they are paying attention to how they handle abuse is fantastic.

Yeah I am pretty pumped to see it....tossing up between going to see it at the cinema or drive-in....Haven't been to the drive-in in ages, and I think this would be a fun movie to see there.

About once a year I watch a Godard movie because I feel like I should Godard, and about once a year I reconfirm how much I hate Godard. It always makes me feel silly and alone, but I swear I have an allergy to his films.

I'm the same way with the Coen brothers - the only films of their I've unreservedly liked was True Grit, and everything else I've seen I've either hated, or enjoyed parts of but otherwise been cool on.

Oh god, the reviews are in for Fury Road and they're ecstatic

I've had my hope for it as reigned in as much as possible, but it's sounding really, really good. 

i was really skeptical at first. i thought it looked too clean (immaculately placed stylized dirt) and pretty the way modern grimdark movies are. what happened to all the ugly people in hollywood (and hollywood worldwide)? but something about the slo mo destruction ballet has piqued my curiosity. 

Did anyone see the Jem and the Holograms trailer? It looks like the most uninspired possible application of the concept, which is really disappointing.