melmer

Help me forget about Olly Moss and move on with my life

I honestly have no idea what my relationship with the Thumbs is, or even what I want that relationship to be.  I've met most of them in real life (the exceptions being Nick because he wasn't at the PAX meetup and Danielle because she wasn't an official Thumb yet).  I've put money into paintings made in their likenesses.  I send them candy on a fairly regular basis.  I have most of them on my Steam friends list and I follow them on Twitter.  They seem to be aware of who I am (at the very least Chris and Sean know my name and Sean knows what I do for a living).  But I've never hung out with any of them for more than a couple hours and never played any games with them.  Really I feel like a creepy stalker who knows what Steam games they're playing, eavesdrops on Twitter conversations, sends them unmarked packages, and listens to recordings of them talking once a week.

So two work collogues was wondering why i was photoshopping GaGas head. They were both there at the birth of this friendship escapade, the only way i could explain it to them was "Remember that guy i was trying to make friends with... well, it's got a little bit out of control"

This turned out way creepier than I intended.

The Internet has created a generation of stalkers.

(I'm not sure if I'm joking or not.)

I think it also means I'm stalking you by proxy.

This turned out way creepier than I intended.

Haha don't worry about. It's a charming kind of creepy. (Note: not actually creepy)

I honestly have no idea what my relationship with the Thumbs is, or even what I want that relationship to be.  I've met most of them in real life (the exceptions being Nick because he wasn't at the PAX meetup and Danielle because she wasn't an official Thumb yet).  I've put money into paintings made in their likenesses.  I send them candy on a fairly regular basis.  I have most of them on my Steam friends list and I follow them on Twitter.  They seem to be aware of who I am (at the very least Chris and Sean know my name and Sean knows what I do for a living).  But I've never hung out with any of them for more than a couple hours and never played any games with them.  Really I feel like a creepy stalker who knows what Steam games they're playing, eavesdrops on Twitter conversations, sends them unmarked packages, and listens to recordings of them talking once a week.

I think that this is the weird problem with modern internet celebrity. The Thumbs, like a lot of internet content creators, presumably started making the podcast for a fun outlet to talk about games. We all listen to the podcasts, and it feels like a bunch of cool friends who could be OUR friends just having a conversation that we probably also have an opinion on. Look at the individual episode threads - while sometimes there's talk between forum members, A LOT OF THE TIME it's just a bunch of people saying the thing they would have said if they had been involved in the conversation. And with the fact that there are facebook and twitter and steam and psn accounts, and suddenly it's like friendship without friendship, and it developed in a weird, slow, organic way. Weird! Weird. What is our relationship to the Thumbs? We're readers. So, largely, it's passive. I would love to think that the times in which I get in a conversation with Jake on twitter over, say, Monkey Island EGA graphics, he connects it to the person on the boards, but why should he? We're all one giant mass of largely male, aged 20 - 30 nerds. Readers! What a weird thing modern communication is. 

I'm uncomfortable with how this thread has meandered off the topic of helping Mington become friends with Olly. Can we please get back to the serious situation we have here, and stop joking around?

):

I'm uncomfortable with how this thread has meandered off the topic of helping Mington become friends with Olly. Can we please get back to the serious situation we have here, and stop joking around?

):

Yeah, seriously. Blah blah, the unilaterally intimate nature of internet celebrity. Who's got a new plan to get Olly into Mington?

Should we stage a full on self improvement montage for mington? Cloths, conversation, grooming, the works?

At this point, my ideal endgame for this thread is for Olly to create an account, and just post "Hey guys, what's going on in here?" and never post again.

I could just turn up at his door wearing nothing but cakes I had baked earlier in the day. I'd use a Chelsea bun to cover my modesty

Does Olly still play Day Z? It seems like a perfect environment to make new friends.

That said, you should not try to make friends with Sean, though. He will make you kill people just to show that you are trustworthy, then execute you anyway.

Should we stage a full on self improvement montage for mington? Cloths, conversation, grooming, the works?

1) Shot of us taking off Mington's glasses.

2) Shot of us letting Mington's hair down.

3) Shot of us smiling and nodding as we appreciate our good work.

1) Shot of us taking off Mington's glasses.

2) Shot of us letting Mington's hair down.

3) Shot of us smiling and nodding as we appreciate our good work.

Add:

4) Shot of us covering him in Chelsea Buns

and it's a deal.

Add:

4) Shot of us covering him in Chelsea Buns

and it's a deal.

*googles what Chelsea Buns are*

Deal!

A friend of mine has a standing offer to give me $20 if I touch Chris Remo's hair and provide him with photographic evidence of it. This seems like the sort of thread where I should bring this up.

I think that this is the weird problem with modern internet celebrity. The Thumbs, like a lot of internet content creators, presumably started making the podcast for a fun outlet to talk about games. We all listen to the podcasts, and it feels like a bunch of cool friends who could be OUR friends just having a conversation that we probably also have an opinion on.

Yeah I think you hit the nail on the head. There's a kind of personal feeling to it that sometimes will flop between creating loneliness that you don't actually know these people and goodness that you have people you relate to to listen to all the time when you are alone.

I sometimes wonder what would happen if I bumped in to Griffin McElroy around here in Austin, but I don't know if I would really get along with the guy as hilarious as I find him. I feel like it's going to happen at some point here, especially since he has purchased a house. I SHOULDN'T EVEN KNOW THAT I COULD PROBABLY GO LOOK UP HIS HOME ADDRESS IF I FELT LIKE IT RIGHT NOW.

NEW IDEA: Mington, you could sue Olly for copying all his artwork off you. Then once he's aware of you, magnanimously drop the lawsuit and offer to buy him a drink.

There's only one way this can play out:

At this point, my ideal endgame for this thread is for Olly to create an account, and just post "Hey guys, what's going on in here?" and never post again.

I'm pretty much with you, except I'd like him to be more alarmed or perhaps horrified.