melmer

Dragon's Crown: Gaze past the giant witch tits

Fucking hell. I honestly would appreciate an ongoing thread where the female forum members post whenever some shit like this (or #1reasonwhy type stuff) happens, to remind me of how constant and truly galling it must be.

But yeah, where is the second Fem Freq video, anyway? Typical lazy feminist.

Oh man, that would be the most depressing thread in the world. 

In Gauntlet Legends (which I still have on the N64) I always chose wizard or archer. The special moves were just so badass.

Holy Christ I love gauntlet legends. I played every single one of those classes to exhaustion. Including the arbitrary clones you unlock.

Damn I want gauntlet online. ):

Oh man, that would be the most depressing thread in the world. 

EXACTLY.

I think that I might have written this in a previous thread:

I was at a bar with a couple of buddies (this would have been about 3 years ago) and my friend decided she wanted to do shots. there was a special on three but I was too drunk so I declined and she invited this other guy at the bar over to join us.

He seemed nice enough and did the shot of whiskey then after maybe 30 seconds of chatting he leans forward and says (in manner loud enough for all of us to hear):

"So, you are a Red-head. Does your pussy hair match?"

So I kicked him. He looked at me with this surprise and then reacted with:

"I am sorry, I didn't know she was yours"

I went into some drunken tirade about how women aren't property and that she wasn't 'mine, or whatever the fuck that means' and that maybe he should learn some fucking manners.

He slunk off at that point still apologising but not really clear on what he was apologising for only that he had been kicked. The worst part, was that my friend was embarrassed about my outburst and not indignant about this guy because 'it happens all the time'.

But yeah, this is the wrong thread.

I still stand by my original statement. I don't like the style and I am not going to go into whether it is sexist or not; I just find it offensive.

Sounds like he was just drunkenly trying to flirt with your friend, nothing too weird going on.  Personally I don't mind people being explicit to me in public, I love the attention and if I'm not feeling like getting together I'll just say no after some teasing, but I understand it could be different for a girl.

It's been a decade since I played Gauntlet a bunch, back when I had a version on my PS2 I'd do all-nighters with my friend.  If this is like Gauntlet I'll have a sick multiplayer game to play with my roommates when I move into the dorms, alongside smash which I assume everyone in college still plays :P

It's been a decade since I played Gauntlet a bunch, back when I had a version on my PS2 I'd do all-nighters with my friend.  If this is like Gauntlet I'll have a sick multiplayer game to play with my roommates when I move into the dorms, alongside smash which I assume everyone in college still plays :P

While I was in college, the Brawl tournaments were a great bonding experience among people in my classes.

Sounds like he was just drunkenly trying to flirt with your friend, nothing too weird going on.  Personally I don't mind people being explicit to me in public, I love the attention and if I'm not feeling like getting together I'll just say no after some teasing, but I understand it could be different for a girl.

If someone I had met, after maybe 5 minutes of interaction, started making comments about my genitalia I'd be pretty upset. My reaction at the time was way over the top I admit; it was just I was kind of offended that he would see this as something he would want to share loud enough in front of us and thus making us complicit. I shouldn't have kicked the guy.

I played a shed load of Power Stone 2 during my early twenties and that was four player gold.

I shouldn't have kicked the guy.

(On an emotional level) I very much disagree!

(On an emotional level) I very much disagree!

Yeah the reaction at the time seemed fair but to be honest it just came off to him as someone getting angry because he was encroaching on their pissing post. He didn't get it and thought that the act rather than the words were what offended me. I was way too drunk to make that clear.

Also, I was sitting on bar stool so the kick connected with his thigh.

Having watched the video of Dragon's Crown, the colours and the animation look lovely.

If anyone has the time, there is a game called Sacred: Citadel, it is worth trying out the demo as the game is actually pretty fun, four player affair with leveling and a killer soundtrack. It is made by the same developers as the ones who made ilomilo.

So here's something that may be of interest for some people. Here are some original designs for when this game was first being produced in 1998 for the Dreamcast.

8q6lyxS.jpg

In other news, this game was first being produced in 1998. For the Dreamcast.

Game is out, getting pretty good reviews, but apparently is kind of gross throughout:

Dragon's Crown's serious liberties with female anatomy are distracting. Two player characters — the Amazon and the Sorceress — are explicitly sexualized, with breasts literally bigger than their heads with rear ends to match, and plenty of the screen real estate is dedicated to their respective jiggles and sashays. But at least these characters are powerful women, with agency and a penchant for destroying rooms full of bad guys.

The same can't be said for the female NPCs that fillDragon's Crown's dungeons and other environments. Most of the women in the game are barely clothed, with heaving chests, backs twisted into suggestive positions, some with their legs spread almost as wide as the screen. They're presented as helpless objects, usually in need of rescue. It's obvious, one-sided and gross.

http://www.polygon.com/game/dragon-s-crown/9102

Seems like a cool game but there's no way I want splayed anime ladies displayed on my living room TV. 

Wow. 1,000 dark, dark comments already. Whoever wondered why people might be reluctant to identify as gamers, feast on those nuggets. 

Me? I identify as "youtube commenter" 

Not to minimize how poorly a lot of dudes react to charges of sexism, but it is always weird to me how bent out of shape people get over scores, insisting that they should be "objective". It's like, if they are objective, what's the unit of measurement being used?

Not to minimize how poorly a lot of dudes react to charges of sexism, but it is always weird to me how bent out of shape people get over scores, insisting that they should be "objective". It's like, if they are objective, what's the unit of measurement being used?

Hardness of cores.

e: this website, Art-Eater, was dropped into the Polygon comments. I don't buy absolutely all of the arguments but it examines video games from an art history perspective. Hence: http://art-eater.com/2013/03/from-mickey-mouse-to-jesus-the-latest-dragons-crown-trailer-is-full-of-epic-homages/

It's just sexist because of the boobs and ass? Well, that's not that bad then, just compare it to any Bond movie or something.

Hardness of cores.

e: this website, Art-Eater, was dropped into the Polygon comments. I don't buy absolutely all of the arguments but it examines video games from an art history perspective. Hence: http://art-eater.com/2013/03/from-mickey-mouse-to-jesus-the-latest-dragons-crown-trailer-is-full-of-epic-homages/

I saw that link and it really pissed me off. Guy just seems like he's full of absolute bullshit. It's kind of stretching it for most of the references, almost like the person dug them up trying to match things that the team drew. If they did use the references, I almost imagine it's the usual artist motions of checking google images for references and picking something from the first page. Probably explains why a bunch of unrelated shit from art history is in one game. Definitely not a "genius" team in my books.

Also the "homages" to the Conan rip-off and Frazetta's work don't really stick. Reeks more of the traditional video game practice of plagiarism: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/tracing/tracing.htm

And one last thing to note, this is completely incorrect:

Princess Crown featured the lush puppet style animation pioneered by Vanillaware and currently popular in many indie games and Flash based games, yet it was made years before Adobe Flash even existed.  Princess Crown was ported to PSP in 2005, but unfortunately neither version of the game has ever received an official release outside of Japan.

No! They didn't pioneer shit! Flash existed in 1997 and Spumco already had a load of Flash cartoons on their website that very fucking year! Actually John K. had a lot of input in early Flash development starting around 1995. Even Flash didn't pioneer shit. Mode 7 graphics already existed. Also the first Rayman is almost nothing but "tweened" animations. Just ugh.

I'm a big fan of Arnold (and the "dumb" action movie genre he has been a big star in), but he's getting too much credit.

Arnold's "look" existed years before Arnold took on acting.He simply fitted the looks of what various artists/graphic novelists/whatever were already making.

Sure, media X was mimicking images from popular media. I think that if you compare material from the magazine Heavy Metal, or 2000 AD with movies and video game covers you will see that certain looks were featured in those comic series earlier.

edit: oh, I just noticed that there were other sections on that page. So yeah, like I said, Video games (just like any other media from) mimics others. (everything is a remix)

edit 2: holy crap.. some examples are really terrible, no way in hell that's "inspired by", it's pretty much tracing the original. Ah well...