Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

No matter how much I want to, I'll never be able to see myself blink without the aid of some kind of device.

Tape one of your eyelids open and you can at least get half of the experience.

Can you imagine walking into a bathroom and seeing someone staring in the mirror and winking while one of their eyelids were taped open? Personally, I would go grab a knife just in case.

Wow, if that guy still managed to show that much dickishness on camera I can't imagine how much of an asshole he normally is.

real world study says people who are assholes are more likely to earn more moneys.

"accidentally"

what can I say, goatse is an inspirational story about one man's goal to stretch his hole beyond the limitation placed upon it. I want that kind of attitude to be present in my work.

what can I say, goatse is an inspirational story about one man's goal to stretch his hole beyond the limitation placed upon it. I want that kind of attitude to be present in my work.

Also dolphin fucking, because I think most people were too traumatised to follow the links on goatse. One lead to a narrative about the practice of fucking dolphins.

I wonder if part of a 'backlash' against a disenfranchised group having too much perceived power involves erasing the history of that group ever having power in the past.

I'm reminded of the brouhaha I heard of over Once Upon A Time casting a black guy as Lancelot, when Lancelot is a French addition, and there was a ton of trade on the Mediterranean, to the point where Tunisians and Moroccans basically considered themselves part of Europe. We know that Middle Eastern scholars explored all over Africa, in which there were massive, wealthy kingdoms.

But what kind of sparked this is a fairly typical comparison of LA Noire's treatment of women to a noir movie filmed in the 40s, combined with the knowledge that gender equality, as measured by gender ratios and average pay, is getting worse, and I'm wondering: is this what happens? Do the misogynists and racists start pushing back and ignoring that things used to be more balanced, and then a generation or so people forget it was ever like that?

Also dolphin fucking, because I think most people were too traumatised to follow the links on goatse. One lead to a narrative about the practice of fucking dolphins.

I wonder if part of a 'backlash' against a disenfranchised group having too much perceived power involves erasing the history of that group ever having power in the past.

I'm reminded of the brouhaha I heard of over Once Upon A Time casting a black guy as Lancelot, when Lancelot is a French addition, and there was a ton of trade on the Mediterranean, to the point where Tunisians and Moroccans basically considered themselves part of Europe. We know that Middle Eastern scholars explored all over Africa, in which there were massive, wealthy kingdoms.

But what kind of sparked this is a fairly typical comparison of LA Noire's treatment of women to a noir movie filmed in the 40s, combined with the knowledge that gender equality, as measured by gender ratios and average pay, is getting worse, and I'm wondering: is this what happens? Do the misogynists and racists start pushing back and ignoring that things used to be more balanced, and then a generation or so people forget it was ever like that?

I don't understand what you are saying. Is part of your premise that there was more gender equality in the 1940's than there is today?

I remember that! Oh man, that takes me back like a decade.

I don't understand what you are saying. Is part of your premise that there was more gender equality in the 1940's than there is today?

The generation of women who worked in war factories and watched their peers play in professional sports leagues set the stage for the next wave of feminism.  It's a complex and interesting time in gender relations in the US that was overlooked or minimized for decades.

Similarly, look at the Reconstruction period following the US Civil War.  For a century it was taught as a failure that was rife with corruption and incompetence as former slaves began voting and holding elected office.  The reality is that white racists eventually crushed all the gains that Blacks in the south had made (often through violence), and re-wrote history to justify their actions and reinforce their biases.  That period of progress and Black empowerment was functionally erased from history for generations.  Something similar, though lesser, occurred with the power that women held in WW2 and shortly thereafter.

Similarly, look at the Reconstruction period following the US Civil War.  For a century it was taught as a failure that was rife with corruption and incompetence as former slaves began voting and holding elected office.  The reality is that white racists eventually crushed all the gains that Blacks in the south had made (often through violence), and re-wrote history to justify their actions and reinforce their biases.  That period of progress and Black empowerment was functionally erased from history for generations.  Something similar, though lesser, occurred with the power that women held in WW2 and shortly thereafter.

This is exactly the kind of thing that I was thinking of, but didn't know US history well enough to know if there were any examples. I'm obviously not claiming that racism in the US was less of a problem then than it is now, but that the gains made then were erased in order to make it easier to perpetuate inequality later.

I'm a little excited by the idea that this might be a thing, and I'm sure academics who study this area are well aware of it but I just kind of got there by speculation.

This is exactly the kind of thing that I was thinking of, but didn't know US history well enough to know if there were any examples. I'm obviously not claiming that racism in the US was less of a problem then than it is now, but that the gains made then were erased in order to make it easier to perpetuate inequality later.

I'm a little excited by the idea that this might be a thing, and I'm sure academics who study this area are well aware of it but I just kind of got there by speculation.

Yeah, these sort of things are frequently cyclical. One of the best things about Analogue: A Hate Story and Hate Plus were that they taught me about something similar in Korea, where a relatively progressive culture had its clock turned back a thousand years in order to bring back "the old ways" that were better and also happened to exclude women and indeed most of society from any role in things. I think it's really important to know not only that others have tried to make "progress" before us, but also that they mostly failed.

There is a picture of a man shitting in a policeman helmet somewhere on this forum. How did this happen?

There is a picture of a man shitting in a policeman helmet somewhere on this forum. How did this happen?

It's from The IT Crowd!