Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

But shortly in to the meal it just turned in to a weird fixation on this guy and why he spoke so strangely and why he wore a suit but didn't feel that having noncrazyperson hair was important.

When you have crazy ideas that are constantly challenged by reality, for instance that HP Lovecraft did not just make up from whole cloth the idea about aliens coming to Earth and influencing previous civilisations, at some point you either have to dissociate from cultural norms or dissociate from your idea.

And when you've pulled up that wall, then you're free to, say, build giant temples (or museums) to your terribly wrong idea. (Yeah that's right, I'm tying crazy alien guy's hair to creationism.) Normally these kinds of things collapse, but if the bubble gets large enough, and reality bends a bit, it can survive in that environment as long as the bubble stays intact. It serves evangelical leaders to have creationism around, so it can act as a shield against natural science for their insistence that the Bible can be read 'literally' (and thus you can take slivers of it out of context and they're more true than interpreting the overall theme that contradicts those).

I just realized that the game industry is really maturing, because I heard a gamestop ad that told me I could use my tax return on video games.

I went to see The Lion King musical this evening (spoiler: I didn't care for it - I'm not a big dance person and there's a ton of dance, although the puppetry was pretty good) and during the intermission the woman next to me struck up a conversation. Within about two minutes she brought up how much she loved the computer game version and she always got stuck on 'the fountain' level.

Explain to me, slowly and carefully, how the fuck we got to the point where everyone believed girls don't play video games.

No, because she turned to me during the waterfall scene and went 'oh this was it'.

holy shit gary blows alien guy right out of the water.

How come ive never seen this man before, is that a hat, and if it is where can I buy it?

Then in instances where stage musicals have a video game equivalent, programme notes should also include a complimentary GameFAQS walkthrough.

edit: Psychic Fake Tanned Afro vs Dwarf-Torso'd Wizard Beard! Go!

(In which James Randi claims to play the part of "a wizard, a real wizard if you will"*)

*quote taken completely out of context

There was a Lion King video game? I mean there's a game for every movie, but one that was memorable enough to mention in a musical years later?

On another note, does anybody my age (early 30s) remember being in school and being taught how population growth was going to destroy the world, two-child policy, etc? I'm wondering if maybe I either imagined it (has been known to happen) or my school district was just messed up (very likely) or if this was an actual thing.

I went to see The Lion King musical this evening (spoiler: I didn't care for it - I'm not a big dance person and there's a ton of dance, although the puppetry was pretty good) and during the intermission the woman next to me struck up a conversation. Within about two minutes she brought up how much she loved the computer game version and she always got stuck on 'the fountain' level.

Explain to me, slowly and carefully, how the fuck we got to the point where everyone believed girls don't play video games.

If that's the level where there's a waterfall with logs and you have to jump from log to log in order to cross the waterfall, I always got stuck on that level too.

There was a Lion King video game? I mean there's a game for every movie, but one that was memorable enough to mention in a musical years later?

Yes. It was a fun game.

On another note, does anybody my age (early 30s) remember being in school and being taught how population growth was going to destroy the world, two-child policy, etc? I'm wondering if maybe I either imagined it (has been known to happen) or my school district was just messed up (very likely) or if this was an actual thing.

It was a concern (see Malthusian population models), but your time frame is about 20 years too late. Look up Borlaug and the Green Revolution. By the 90's, the issue was primarily one of distribution, not capacity.

There are still general concerns about sustainability, in some circles.

It was a concern (see Malthusian population models), but your time frame is about 20 years too late. Look up Borlaug and the Green Revolution. By the 90's, the issue was primarily one of distribution, not capacity.

There are still general concerns about sustainability, in some circles.

It doesn't surprise me that my school was 20 years behind.

I find it funny that developed countries are now complaining about population not rising fast enough while I have internalized those early teachings about how having children is bad and we're all going to starve to death from overpopulation.

I'm pretty sure overpopulation could eventually be a very real problem. Population has been growing at an exponential rate and there is a very real possibility that we could run out of resources to support future populations if the growth continues unchecked. But who knows what kind of crazy shit scientists will come up with to address those issues.

Except that birth rates in developed countries are going down. Japan has a negative birth rate and the USA reached an all time low last year. Sure, we're going to have some problems as China and India are still on the upward swing but it sounds like, at a certain technological level, we all get too selfish to have kids ;)

Edit: Actually, looking at Google graphs, it looks like China and India are on the down slope as well.

Statistics show that as education levels rise and child death drops, parents worldwide overwhelmingly gravitate towards less children. A sustainable population starts with educating people and lifting them out of medieval health standards. The latest thinking is that mankind won't grow exponentially, but is levelling out for this very reason. We'll reach about 10 billion in 2050 I believe, and that'll be about it. There's more than enough room and resources for that much people, if we allocate it wisely and restructure our economies.