Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I did some logging for 6 months with my dad when I was 18. Learning how to make a tree fall where you wanted it was cool but I fucking despised sharpening the teeth on a chainsaw. Like nails on a chalkboard.

My friend's dad ran a business cutting down trees and shrubs and stuff on people's property, I helped him out a few times here and there. It was pretty good work. Making sure nothing fell on people's houses added a lot of tension.

I miss my boring office job.  It turns out the thing i've been working on will be presented to VCs soon to try and get $$$ which terrifies me.

I'm stuck on my novel, it's extremely hardcore science fiction, and I think I'm stuck because my characters are stuck in the middle of a hole in a desert with nothing science fictiony going on around them. Not that I don't mind writing character drama, that's what stringing along half the story. But if there's nothing cool to go with it, then it's not fun to write, which I suspect means its not fun to read.

I just need to get them out of there. Skip ahead. I think I'm going to put a zombie in there, but then reveal its just one of the characters playing a virtual reality game. Suck it "The Last of Us" (ok, I'm buying that tomorrow, but whatever).

But at least I'm not at a boring office job! Subbes I'd trade any boring office job in the world to be where you are. Maybe you'll fail, statistically startups often do. Maybe in three years you'll be cruising along in your new Ferrari back to your Berkely hills mansion. Either way, think of it as something far more exciting and interesting than the several hundred million people in the world with boring office jobs may ever experience in their entire lives.

I found this on the internet and giggled for a solid minute.  Also ironic (or not? I can never tell) that I found it right after father's day.  God damn it my dad would've laughed so much if I sent him this yesterday!

image_290_u18chan.jpg

I made a casual remark to my co-worker this morning about being tired and how if I could get rid of the biological need to sleep, I would never choose to sleep (except maybe on a long trip like a flight).  He basically told me I was nuts and that he would still choose to sleep even if he didn't need it.  I told him we could get so much more stuff done if we didn't spend 1/3 of our lives unconcious but he didn't seem to understand the appeal.

No, man. We spend 2/3rds of our lives unconscious, and in our dreams is where we live for true.

Jobs tend to be where you spend a lot of you creative energy and will your intentions. This is why it helps to do something you enjoy for a living.

I got lucky. I get to draw and write and read at work. Anything I want to draw and write and read. I can't afford health insurance though. Financial security would be a great added benefit to drawing and writing and reading whatever I want. I'm so selfish and narcissistic. I'm not sure if that's a choice. I can't imagine doing anything useful to other people with my time. I can't imagine doing it enthusiastically anyway. Production for exchange is so uninspiring for me.

I made a casual remark to my co-worker this morning about being tired and how if I could get rid of the biological need to sleep, I would never choose to sleep (except maybe on a long trip like a flight). He basically told me I was nuts and that he would still choose to sleep even if he didn't need it. I told him we could get so much more stuff done if we didn't spend 1/3 of our lives unconcious but he didn't seem to understand the appeal.

This is THE subject that makes me look like a technophobe. When science figures out a way to remove the biological need for sleep and rent goes sky-high because everyone is working 18 hour days, I'm out. This is such a nightmare scenario. Productivity is not the end all be all IMO. Naps and objectiveless wanderings are way underrated.

If I could take my 7-8 hours of sleep each night and move that over to video game time I would be very happy.

This is THE subject that makes me look like a technophobe. When science figures out a way to remove the biological need for sleep and rent goes sky-high because everyone is working 18 hour days, I'm out. This is such a nightmare scenario. Productivity is not the end all be all IMO. Naps and objectiveless wanderings are way underrated.

I hate sleep, but I certainly don't want to spend that time working.  When I say "get stuff done", I meant stuff that I want to do but don't have the time.  If I could remove my need to sleep but I had to spend that time working, I'll stick with sleep.

I don't think that's how it would work out guys.

Maybe I'm being unreasonably cynical, but I imagine that it would be a lot like cars where at first it's a luxury, but then it becomes a necessity.

I hate sleep, but I certainly don't want to spend that time working. When I say "get stuff done", I meant stuff that I want to do but don't have the time. If I could remove my need to sleep but I had to spend that time working, I'll stick with sleep.

Wait, is the only reason you hate sleep that you don't get enough time to do what you want? Or is it nightmares or sleep apnea or something.

Remember that villain in Die Another Day that had a special device that allowed him to only get one hour of sleep a night? Yeah, he got a lot of shit done.

Remember Tyler Durden? Yeah, he got a lot of shit done.

Sleeping sucks. And I'll take that one step further: eating sucks too. I am often very annoyed when I get hungry and need to eat. Why can't I just always feel well rested and not hungry?

(The joke is we're actually asleep when we think we're awake and awake when we think we're asleep.)

I'M RESPONDING A POST FROM LAST PAGE BECAUSE THIS THREAD MOVES TOO FAST FOR MY ELDERLY MIND TO KEEP UP WITH.

Remember that villain in Die Another Day that had a special device that allowed him to only get one hour of sleep a night? Yeah, he got a lot of shit done.

Remember Tyler Durden? Yeah, he got a lot of shit done.

Sleeping sucks. And I'll take that one step further: eating sucks too. I am often very annoyed when I get hungry and need to eat. Why can't I just always feel well rested and not hungry?

For me, sleep and rest are essential parts if satisfaction. Working to achieve, achieving and then moving immediately to the next task doesn't satisfy me. It's as if I have to stop thinking in order to realize what I have done.

Also, a lot of people equate recreational activities with rest, but I disagree with this idea. Watching a movie or playing a game is still activity. The way I visualize the difference is that if I set my phone alarm and find a nice spot in a park, lay down and close my eyes until the alarm goes off 20 minutes later; at first my my mind continues to think and consume and analyze all the information around it. But after a little while it is as if the direction of thinking reverses. My mind will begin releasing all if the thinking and just barfing up weird amalgumations of perspectives and subjects. It's clearing the cache. Recreational activities don't do this for me like naps and sleep does.

Now eating. You are doing it wrong. I recommend taking an hour to look through recipes online, finding one with instructions you can follow but that looks like something better than anything you can buy at a restuarant and plan a day to cook it. If you make cooking a planned activity every once in a while, you can take the time to enjoy the process. I recommend potato tacos with cheese sauce. One really quick side dish is steamed kale with soy sauce drizzled upon it. So good. Enjoying food is a great pleasure.

(The joke is we're actually asleep when we think we're awake and awake when we think we're asleep.)

I'M RESPONDING A POST FROM LAST PAGE BECAUSE THIS THREAD MOVES TOO FAST FOR MY ELDERLY MIND TO KEEP UP WITH.

Maybe you missed your nap.  You should lie down old man.