Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I'm a little confused though considering pretty much over half of the Idle Thumbs episodes are a deluge of poop and penis jokes.

Is that really true, though?

Is that really true, though?

Yes, I've been re-listening and there's a fucking lot of them. They even commented regularly on how much they talk about poop and penises.

Don't worry, after my public shaming I will discontinue my immature shit.

I'm expecting detailed play by play of your mature shits, where you wear a monacle and extend your pinky while pooping.

know they comment on making stupid dick and poop jokes, but I don't think they actually make that many. I think making an allusion to shit in the course of a joke is different from a shit joke. Like Chris making a farting noise to mock some dumb games journalism cliche like "The Citizen Kane of Games" doesn't really count as a fart joke to me. Especially compared to, say, every other nerd-centric podcast on the internet, Idle Thumbs is pretty damn high-brow and clean. What you do in this thread is closer to Shawn Elliott's Clapper story. TMI as opposed to silly scatological humor.

Not that all threads in a podcast's forums must reflect that podcast's tone. Just that I think characterizing it as a "deluge" doesn't seem quite right, to me.

Look, I get it. I've rubbed people the wrong way and I'm fucking sorry. I'm done with it.

But seriously, I have literally just re-listened to episodes 1-65 in the last few weeks. Don't you recall strategy chocolates, Chris' story about making poop patterns all over the town in Diablo 2, Jake's endless references to cocks and donkey cocks, and countless references to things coming out of their asses? It is much more prominent than Chris just making a farting noise. If you don't believe me go back and re-listen.

Man, everyone is so fucking serious. What the fuck?

Again, I have no idea what is going on in this thread and people feeling attacked. I disagreed with you, explained why, and then concluded by saying that I'm not even expecting you to hold to some arbitrary standard based on how I view the tone of the podcast. I don't think I'm being over-reactionary or angry or even serious? 

I constantly re-listen to old episodes. When I am done with new episodes of other podcasts I listen to, I always fall back on a regular rotation of old episodes of Idle Thumbs. I still disagree with your characterization, and the idea of equivocating Chris telling a story about trolling someone in Diablo 2 with mud stains that kind of look like poop to you telling stories about your actual poop.

Maybe my avatar is too intense. People feel attacked because it looks like I'm about to bite them?

EDIT: Actually, I'm making the exact same face in my icon as Zeus' Urkel. That's kind of amazing.

Random thought: Why is everyone so fucking serious?

It's frustrating as fuck.

Again, I have no idea what is going on in this thread and people feeling attacked. I disagreed with you, explained why, and then concluded by saying that I'm not even expecting you to hold to some arbitrary standard based on how I view the tone of the podcast. I don't think I'm being over-reactionary or angry or even serious? 

I constantly re-listen to old episodes. When I am done with new episodes of other podcasts I listen to, I always fall back on a regular rotation of old episodes of Idle Thumbs. I still disagree with your characterization, and to the idea of equivocating Chris telling a story about trolling someone in Diablo 2 with mud stains that kind of look like poop to you telling stories about your actual poop.

Maybe my avatar is too intense. People feel attacked because it looks like I'm about to bite them?

I'm sorry Patrick, you're right. You were not attacking me and I did overreact.

I guess after seeing that first post I'm a little sensitive and self conscious right now. It fucking sucks to feel like I've become 'that guy' that people see a post from and just roll their eyes in disgust (not sure if that's the case but it sure feels that way right now).

I have a weird sense of humor that is perfectly normal and welcome in the group of people I socialize with in the real world and I forget sometimes that that just doesn't translate to the majority of people outside of that circle. I also see your point about the podcast. They joke about it in a certain way and I come in here like a fucking lunatic and bring it to an uncomfortably personal level. For that I am sorry.

Have you ever felt like you maybe found a group of people that might accept you and where you feel like you belong and then find out that those people are seriously irritated by you? That's how I feel right now and it fucking sucks.

Have you ever felt like you maybe found a group of people that might accept you and where you feel like you belong and then find out that those people are seriously irritated by you?

That is literally how I feel about these forums but I pretend it doesn't bother me for the sake of my own sanity.

That's how I feel in real life. And in most places I go online. I haven't really been here long enough to feel like that's happened yet, though.

That said, I don't feel irritated by anyone here. In fact, coming here is genuinely one of the best parts of my day. Especially in this section of the forums (the rest I feel like I need to be respectable and on topic and add to the discussion, here I don't feel that pressure, and its nice).

That is literally how I feel about these forums but I pretend it doesn't bother me for the sake of my own sanity.

I wish I could pretend it doesn't bother me but that is something I have a really hard time doing. I don't put on any kind of fake persona here. The way I talk and the way I am here is exactly how I am in real life and it is so difficult in this internet format. In real life I can take visual cues and tone my shit down based on how the other person is reacting to what I am saying which is impossible here until someone directly calls you out.

I guess these forums mean a lot more to me than I realized because I feel fucking terrible right now.

At least I can go home and play some video games after work.

This is one of the more intelligent discussions that I have seen about fart&poop jokes. Now I'm wondering if there is some forgotten strategy of fart&poop jokes that involves a vulnerability in the speaker. That would explain why you feel so sensitive after it didn't go over. 

But what I'm really excited about is being able to post this video and it being somewhat relevant:

Just to clarify (and I wrote this to Zeus also), my post was a reaction to this topic, which is indeed slightly more scatological than the rest of Thumb, and it comes from a place of concern that it might set a precedent. I've always seen these forums as relatively high-brow, hence my knee-jerk comment. Though I'm not judging anyone, attacking, nor rolling my eyes. You folks are all fine as far as I'm concerned. I can just stay out of this thread, no problem, and everyone is free to discuss anything they like here.

That's how I feel in real life. And in most places I go online. I haven't really been here long enough to feel like that's happened yet, though.

That said, I don't feel irritated by anyone here. In fact, coming here is genuinely one of the best parts of my day. Especially in this section of the forums (the rest I feel like I need to be respectable and on topic and add to the discussion, here I don't feel that pressure, and its nice).

I know how you feel.  I've lost count of the number of posts I never submitted because I convinced myself my thoughts were stupid/obvious/off topic/someone else said 1000 times better than me/whatever.  It is nice to have intelligent discussion of interesting topics and poopy jokes in the same forum instead of all one or the other.

Yeah, Zeus, I wouldn't worry too much. It's pretty easy to avoid being annoyed when all it takes is to just not read one thread.

Also, avoiding the noid is important.

You guys are the greatest.

I'm sorry if I went a little overboard with my emotionally charged posts. I didn't mean to go into attack mode and I just got super overly sensitive.

Full disclosure, I have a really hard time coping with the thought of people not liking me. I know it shouldn't bother me but I really do care what other people think, to a degree that probably isn't healthy. But at the same time I am the type of person that has a hard time holding back when I feel the urge to say something.

Only on this forum can things be resolved in such a mature way. A poop comment turning into an intelligent discussion is something I never thought I'd see.

Only on this forum can things be resolved in such a mature way. A poop comment turning into an intelligent discussion is something I never thought I'd see.

And go back around to poop.

And one more thing. Rodi is a really great person. His message to me was very respectful and intelligent.

Nice one Ucantalas. There is a surprising number of children's poop books. Our daughter loves that one.

No, it wasn't. It was awful and mean, and hurtful in every single way. And dumb.

The way I talk and the way I am here is exactly how I am in real life and it is so difficult in this internet format. In real life I can take visual cues and tone my shit down based on how the other person is reacting to what I am saying which is impossible here until someone directly calls you out.

LITERALLY EXACTLY HOW I FEEL.

I'm like 90% certain that if there was an easy way to convey tone of voice on the internet, I wouldn't get into nearly as many KERFUFFLES as I do. It's so incredibly frustrating, because I'm always, even when trying to be serious, just making completely offhand jokes here and there, but on the internet, where I'm not exaggerating All My Shit, it never comes across as intended, and I come back in ten minutes and someone's mad at me and I get all defensive 'cause I'm sad someone's mad at me and well there you have it.

Hey whoa this post is too serious now.

---

Random thought: wouldn't it be awesome to have fuckin' ziplines going every which way across city buildings? I wouldn't have to go down the elevator to get to the nearby hub of restaurants. Just take the zipline to the top floor of a nearby building which is only a few stories tall, from my 19th floor. DAMN. Yeah. Let's do this. I'm running for mayor of San Francisco.

You could color-code your posts, Twig. Can we change the font color on this forum? I've never tried. Then your signature could be all if I'm typing in red, I sound pissed off or if I'm typing in cyan, I sound condescending.

Wait, never mind, that shit's hard to read.

When I'm saying something sarcastic or deliberately stupid, I type in all lowercase without punctuation. It's a habit I picked it up from another forum years ago and it's stuck with me forever.