melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

"7.5/10 It will blow you away" - Polygon dot com

that summary is fine but it's totally undermined by the stupid number they put at the bottom. how can you even begin to quantify the value of hardware that isn't publicly released yet, or that has an infinitesimally small percentage of its potential software available or even made. if the xbox one gets a 6 from polygon, do we just skip this generation? 7.5 seems like a low score for something pretty expensive, not sure what polygon expects us to do with that number, except maybe determine that the PlayStation 4 is as good as Foul Play, but not as good as Remember Me

Yes, grading is stupid. It is for any complicated product or piece of art.

As for the judgement: apparently the launch line-up is weak (nothing really new there for any console) and the steps forward in terms of beauty and perceivable power are minimal. So, basically, when you buy a PS4 (or Xbox One) you'll do so for the promise that one or a few years from now, it'll pay off. And the thrill of having a new high-tech machine in your house.

that summary is fine but it's totally undermined by the stupid number they put at the bottom. how can you even begin to quantify the value of hardware that isn't publicly released yet, or that has an infinitesimally small percentage of its potential software available or even made. if the xbox one gets a 6 from polygon, do we just skip this generation? 7.5 seems like a low score for something pretty expensive, not sure what polygon expects us to do with that number, except maybe determine that the PlayStation 4 is as good as Foul Play, but not as good as Remember Me

They will probably update* the score after each financial quarter according to the current games line-up, changes in the price and the terms of service, and the potential Sony fuck-ups.

*SimCity score seems to have stabilized to 6.5 now. Previous scores were 9.5, 8.0 and 4.0. Arkham Origins received an updated score of 7 on Wii U and 4 on PS3, X360, and PC but also 7 overall. And so on..

Someone already has a bricked PS4 on gaf

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=715057

Little bit scary :/ but it is only one console out of millions... We'll see what happens next week when they're out in the wild. I'm quite happy that the EU release date is in a couple of weeks time so I can see the reception and maybe cancel (who am I kidding)

The low killzone reviews was a bit of a bummer.

I have no illusions that I'll be bored with it an hour after getting it, and it will be barely used for the first 4 months.

Giving the hardware a numbered score is ridiculous

I generally think that Polygon's scoring is poor and not very helpful. I suppose that the PS4's score means it's about 10% better than a Wii U, scored 6.5/10 and yet to be updated. That makes sense, right?

I felt a similar degree of "huh?" reading the updated review of Call of Duty Ghosts, which included next-gen scores. The XBONE version got a full .5 higher than the other platforms. The text said that the next-gen platforms really offer very little more than the current-gen outside of resolution and some particle effects, which they deemed to be insignificant. Otherwise, they said the PS4 has inconsistent framerate so the One version is superior. But if you say that next-gen visual upgrades are negligible, why is the One getting +0.5 rather than the PS4 getting -0.5?

I don't really get it, and I don't see how scores like these can actually be helpful to anybody but Metacritic.

I don't really get it, and I don't see how scores like these can actually be helpful to anybody but Metacritic.

Does Metacritic index hardware reviews? That would be heinous.

It's especially confusing, because there are plenty of numbers that do help you decide whether or not to get the PS4: price point, game library, technical specs, and so on. Synthesizing those into a milquetoast 7.5/10 seems almost parodic.

Does Metacritic index hardware reviews? That would be heinous.

It's especially confusing, because there are plenty of numbers that do help you decide whether or not to get the PS4: price point, game library, technical specs, and so on. Synthesizing those into a milquetoast 7.5/10 seems almost parodic.

I meant their general scoring method/standards, not this particular review.

In regards to the PS4 in particular, I imagine that the endpoint of giving them reviews is that you see like

Wii U - 6.5/10

PS4 - 7.5/10

Xbox One - 8.5/10

Well, I guess the best console right now is the Xbox One. I have numerical proof! Gotta go buy one right now, BRB.

Interesting quote out of the review:

"Sony's repeated emphasis on indie titles has borne little fruit for launch outside of the disastrous Contrast, which appears for free on PlayStation Plus."

I liked what I played of Contrast, I wonder what it did to merit the description disasterous.

Edit: Hmm... http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/13/5099056/contrast-review-ps4

Edit2: I guess my definition of Disasterous is different than theirs. Still, it's a shame that it didn't come together better.

Well I got one of these in the mail today thanks to that taco bell contest. The sharing features seem really well integrated, though I guess you can only share video and screenshots with facebook and twitter?  They've made it really easy to both view and broadcast streams as well, so I'm really curious to see if/how that functionality is embraced. I didn't play much of it, but Knack isn't impressing...run down corridor, punch dudes, rinse, repeat. Pretty, though. Jumping in and out of system menus during gameplay seems snappy. In conclusion, I rate the PS4 3.5 out of 4.7.

The games will come! (just have to wait about 9 months to a year)

I was slightly bummed out by the reception/reviews of the launch titles and started to feel like i didn't need this day one, but what the hell at some point in my life i'm going to be £350 pounds worser off with a PS4 gathering dust in my man cave. It might as well be sooner.

If it breaks as its a fault launch console? i've got a years warranty, i can deal

I know i'd be annoyed at missing the PS4 PS+ offerings by not owning the console, so all in all i'm happy to get it day one. Ass Flag will keep me occupied over xmas

-----

That PS4 event was a bit of a let down, i expected lots of new game reveals but all we got was an Uncharted teaser. Looks like they're going more serious maybe? A reboot perhaps, in a more realistic world.

Better not be. The wit was a large part of Uncharted's broad appeal I feel, certainly for my girlfriend who is otherwise quite disinterested in shooters. I also love it.

So who else has one? I'm dying for impressions.

I had some extra vacation time so I took today off from work so I could pick my PS4 up at midnight and play games today. I downloaded the day one patch to a USB stick in advance so I didn't have to wait for that download. It did take me about an hour to actually sign in to PSN last night. It seems to be working fine today though.

There aren't a ton of games I'm extremely interested in at launch but I bought a couple more games than I normally would because of that buy 2, get 1 free deal at Target this week. So far I have just played Knack because I wanted to wait for PSN to be up before playing Battlefield 4 or Need for Speed Rivals. I don't have a gaming PC so I am used to playing games at 30 fps. I am pretty super Knack runs at 60 fps so that fluidity is really nice in comparison to what I am used to seeing. Knack isn't anything amazing. It seems like it will be fun to play through once if you like 3rd person action games.

The Dualshock 4 is really nice. I think it's probably up there with the 360 and Gamecube controllers as one of my favorites. The analog sticks and triggers are a huge improvement. I haven't used the touchpad yet. I haven't tried out the Vita remote play yet.

The system itself is small and pretty quiet. A friend of mine still has a launch PS3 and it's nothing like that. I can't hear the system when my TV is at a normal volume.

The interface reminds me a little of the PS3. Everything is basically set up in a couple rows and a few things have sub-menus. I haven't had any problems finding things within the menus. It sounds like friend activity will show up in the main menu too. The PSN store looks basically the same as it does on PS3.

The intergration of Twitch and UStream seems really cool. I watched people stream games for about an hour last night. It's really easy to share what you are playing or just hop into different streams.

I definitely want to put a larger HD in the system at some point. The 500 GB will probably fill up pretty quickly unless I manage what I have installed pretty carefully.

I'm really happy with the system and controller itself so far. It seems like it will be a lot of fun to use. The launch lineup isn't amazing but there are a ton of games coming out next year I am looking forward to.

If anyone else has a PS4 my PSN name is GoTeamVenture10.

Mine should come tomorrow (was one of the lucky ones to snag it when it was randomly in stock at midnight on launch day on Amazon). Was literally down to the wire between xbone and the PS4, but the PS4's MMO and free-to-play focus really piques my type of interest. Also, $100 extra to save isn't bad. 

Could definitely use some more friends, so feel free to add me -- I'll be playing a lot of Killzone and BF4 multiplayer (hopefully), fwiw. PSN = Jamezeite

Woah 200 dead of arrival reviews on amazon... Although they have just shipped a million so that is still a tiny percentage

http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-4-Launch-Edition/product-reviews/B00BGA9WK2/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

It seem like the problem is with faulty HDMI ports not picking up a single from the TV, which gives you a flashing blue line.

The 6x disc drive sounds like a Hoover when games are installing. Haven't seen this complained about much so must not be a issue

That's my only worries (and they're very very very mild worries), will it be broken? Will it be loud?

There've actually been three guys already on my forum who received DOA/faulty PS4s yesterday. This is slightly worrying, hopefully it's just some weird statistical thing rather than evidence that there's widespread issues.

Apparently there's a weird problem with the HDMI port that it has a metal component in the way that chips some of the pins out of the cable, whereupon the video part doesn't function anymore.