melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

It's a delightful change in style for Tequila Works. Also gives me really strong vibes of Journey and The Witness.

Isn't deadlight a little bit shit? Does Tequila Works actually have the game design chops to make this a decent gaming experience, i'll hold my breath

Deadlight wasn't a convincing success, no, but it was pretty promising for a studio debut.

Factoid: one of the Tequila Works founders was also co-founder at Mercury Steam (although he did leave before Castlevania: Lords of Shadow of the Colossus was published).

Holy shit, Rime looks good. Almost makes me want a PS4...

Just popped in to post that.

Rime does look very pretty indeed, just have to wait and see if the game play is actually any fun. Also quick question: is Drive Club being released as #DRIVECLUB, like with a hash tag at the front? Because that seems a tad silly to me. 

I read that they're calling it #driveclub in all their press releases n shit. It's a bit lame if the thought behind it is to grab some free publicity through tagging on social networks

Much like that will I am song/album that's full of hash tags

So, I played Warframe and Contrast on the PS4 today at PAX. I thought the touchpad thing would be really difficult to keep in my head while working all the buttons, but Warframe has various powers that are triggered by different swipes across the touch pad and it became second nature by the end of a 5 minute demo. The triggers felt a bit spongy to me, but that might improve over use.

Warframe itself seemed pretty good. Constant frame rate through some pretty intense fights, fast paced, nice looking graphics. Unfortunately, the anti-aliasing was pretty crap (something I noticed on both the PS4 and X1.) Maybe it's just because I was playing it on a 30 inch screen about 3 feet away, but the jaggies could have gouged out my eyes.

Contrast is a stylized, 1920s carnival looking, 2D/3D platformer. Basically, at any time you can press up against the wall and become a shadow, who can then platform on other shadows being projected on the wall. Lots of manipulating light sources and some pretty complicated jump - flatten - dash - unflatten type mechanics. The vertical slice they showed seemed to have some interesting story bits, but it was hard to make out exactly what was going on what with the demo jumping around. Still, an indie game worth watching.

This quote from the Occulus guys is the best

"If people like Microsoft and Sony did come out and make their own head-mounted display, though, it would really just validate the market," he added. "There's certainly room for more than just one person in this market. Right now we're the only people in it. It would just show that VR really is - that it's important and it's here to stay."

Ha ha, well done Oculus peeps.

Would be hilarious if, in response, Sony decided to stay tight lipped on VR or not call it VR at all.

(Obviously there will be a huge VR love-in)

All the news from the pre TGS Sony press conference

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/9/4710224/sonys-pre-tgs-press-conference-new-vita-new-colors-vita-tv-and-games

Redesigned Vita (slimmer, better battery life, comes in a nice spinach green colour. Screen is still the same size)

Vita TV

Deep Down

Pros: Randomly generated environments, co-op, looks and plays just like dark souls :tup:

Cons: A complete rip off of Assassins creed, you are actually a man living in new york in the year 2094 :Waaat: (to be honest i was brushing my teeth when the were talking about this so i may not have all the facts straight)

Japan PS4 release date Feb 22 2014 (release day console comes with a free copy of Knack)

Most importantly the new Earth Defence Force is coming to PS4 \o/

Important notes on the new Vita: it finally includes 1GB of internal memory (yaaaay), but the screen is now LCD instead of OLED (boooo). Sony's claiming that advancements in tech have made the LCD screen look just as good, but I dunno.

Oh, and it's 15 to 20 dollars cheaper.

神いまいましい不安定なカム!!

But in all seriousness, I do like to see the fact that all of these various streaming and social features are finally coming together in such a way that's pretty cool, and more importantly being integrated gracefully into what I spend 90% of my gaming time on: consoles.

It has the potential to be very cool if it's implemented well. That's a pretty big if.

I don't think anyone on this earth will ever get that excited about Killzone, but it could be cool for games that breed serious competition. I think the video does a good job of showing the potential; at least it shows me what my life would be like if I were a hip Japanese student with a bunch of attractive, cool, video game-obsessed friends.

I think the Vita TV thing is pretty damn brilliant. Instead of continuing to fail against the 3DS and other portable devices, they're going after the struggling new microconsole space with a relative behemoth of a hardware platform, and they're still undercutting everybody's price in the process.

Their Vita hardware is also probably powerful enough that it will probably hold up incredibly well on a TV screen.

I think this could be big.