melmer

PL4YST4TION 4

I'd imagine Gakai will be tied up in PS+...or i can't imagine they'd ask for another separate subscription. So i assume a PS+ subscriber will be able to buy (or rent?) games through Gakai, but those games you already own digitally are yours to play for free.

Would be pretty shitty if this wasn't the case

Amazon UK Best Sellers in PC & Video Games

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/video games/ref=sv_vg_h__12

1.) PS4 console

2.) GTA V

3.) Pokemon

29.) Xbone console

Dang

I'd love it if Sony absolutely dominates this Christmas. Not because of fanboyism, just because it'll be interesting. Lets see how many more uturns and hoops we can make Microsoft jump through

I found the talk about the Xbox "180" very interesting on the Giant Bombcast. It sounds like a lot of the laymen, people who just play a couple games a year, never got the word that things changed after Microsoft's initial announcement. If that's true, that could explain the increadible popularity of the PS4 at launch, but that might go away quickly. Obviously, an even race benefits us all, so hopefully Xbox sales pick up.

Having recently got back into Infamous 2, I can safely say that Infamous: Second Son is my killer app and will make the PS4 worth every penny for my particular interests. I feel a little lucky knowing that right out of the gate, although by the same token I know I will buy an Xbox One as soon as the next Halo game hits. In that case, I just know it won't be as close to launch window as Second Son is so I have far less reason to invest in the One at launch.

Sure, it sucks that Watch Dogs and Driveclub have been delayed, but I know what I want and need from this console. Battlefield 4 will keep me busy for months along with indie titles and PS+ offerings, so I can afford to wait until Second Son. If the various multiplat games that will come to the console (and likely perform way better than current consoles and perhaps even your current PC build, if you're budget like me) don't excite you and coming exclusives don't excite you, I don't think there's a whole lot of reason to buy a PS4.

I have a friend who worked on Infamous. That's part of the reason I finally bought a PS3, so I could play the games he made. So far, I'm having a lot of fun with Infamous 1, but I don't get nearly enough TV time and Dark Souls/FF14 have been eating my life.

So, I'm feeling some last minute doubts about my PS4 preorder and I want to kind of bounce my thoughts on others so here I am! I have absolutely no doubt that the PS4 is the next-gen console for me, but I'm just not sure it's a compelling enough proposition for me to need it right now. Once I get over the high of having new hardware, these things reflect what's on my mind:

• I'm not interested (enough?) in next-gen games at the moment, I was only planning on playing Battlefield 4, Resogun, and Contrast on PS4 through the end of the year and even into Q1 2014.
  • I own BF4 on PS3, because I was hoping to try out the next-gen upgrade path. As a result, I have no incredible need to upgrade on a timely basis; in fact, stats and premium will transfer whenever I do make the transition, so I needn't worry about progress on PS3 being lost.
  • Resogun and Contrast were on my radar due to being on PS+, but by the same token they won't go anywhere as long as I keep up my PS+ sub.
  • The retail games I'm interested in checking out after BF4 are Infamous: Second Son, Destiny and Watch Dogs, all of which come out Q2 2014 or later.
  • I've paid off about $300 of the preorder and the other $100 is somewhat hard to come by right now.
  • I could use the $300 to finish building my HTPC, which I could use to play PC games on my big screen.

Is there any obvious reason for me to keep going with this? I didn't really realize it at the time, but delaying Watch Dogs really seems to have been the last straw at any kind of immediacy for next-gen in my mind. As it is, I have a deep backlog of high quality games to play on PC, 360, PS3, 3DS, and hell... even Wii. I can't imagine that adding Assassin's Creed 4 and whatever smaller stuff between now and Q2 will be that painful.

Thoughts?

I have not once in my entire life had a good experience as a console early adopter, whether home or handheld. My advice would be to just wait because:

1. It'll be cheaper
  2. You won't feel compelled to play games you wouldn't ordinarily touch with a barge pole because there's nothing else
  3. Inevitable early hardware/software issues will be ironed out
  4. You'll have plenty of games to play when you get one
  5. Price cuts won't piss you off so much

Literally the only downside is you don't get to be in on it when the hype is high. Whether or not that actually bothers you is a personal thing. I personally learn towards more games and value for money.

It sounds like you know the answer already, JonCole. The reasonable thing to do is wait!

I sympathize with the urge to forge ahead anyway, because that's what I'm doing in spite of all sense.

You have until the end of March to make good on your BF4 upgrade deal. I don't see any reason to rush into things. What I ended up doing is purchasing a PS3 (I didn't have one before) and now I'm saving up for some new computer parts.

The only next-gen things that really grab me are Infamous and Titanfall, neither of which are going to be out for a while.

On another note, I noticed in that FAQ they finally announced how digital downloads are going to be licensed. You get to set one machine as your home console, and then games can be played there by anyone. You can also log into one other console at a time, and games can be played there as well. So basically, the same way the X360 does it, which is fine with me.

I imagine that I could even just go ahead and pay for the PS4 upgrade via PSN whenever and add it to my "download list". The actual transfer of stats and whatnot happens within the game, so I can do that at my leisure (if I understand correctly).

I'm sticking with my 2 pre orders :) they're both locked in now

If you're strapped for cash, you could always just sell it for BIG MONEY. I think there may be a bit of a frenzy on these bad boys and I'm looking to at least double my money.

If you cancel now you may struggle to get one even in February, unless you preorder straight away again

What are the current gen games to look forward to over the next six months anyway?

Dark Souls 2

Lord of Shadows 2

Earth defence force

I can't actually think of any others...

I'm sticking with my 2 pre orders :) they're both locked in now

If you're strapped for cash, you could always just sell it for BIG MONEY. I think there may be a bit of a frenzy on these bad boys and I'm looking to at least double my money.

If you cancel now you may struggle to get one even in February, unless you preorder straight away again

What are the current gen games to look forward to over the next six months anyway?

Dark Souls 2

Lord of Shadows 2

Earth defence force

I can't actually think of any others...

I think you over-estimate the demand for these things. I think they'll be on every store shelf come mid January, but I guess we'll see.

I don't know....

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=708890

I know that's an isolated event

There's a girl at work who's boyfriend is phoning up his local game store every day to see if they've had any cancellations for launch day. That's pretty extreme

I think with the right buzz it's going to be complete fever pitch, it'll be the latest gadget that everyone has to have and they're relatively cheap in my mind

I've heard of a lot of people thinking of canceling. Demand for the WiiU seemed to be pretty crazy, but sales dropped like a rock. It'll be an interesting season certainly.

I found the talk about the Xbox "180" very interesting on the Giant Bombcast. It sounds like a lot of the laymen, people who just play a couple games a year, never got the word that things changed after Microsoft's initial announcement. If that's true, that could explain the increadible popularity of the PS4 at launch, but that might go away quickly. Obviously, an even race benefits us all, so hopefully Xbox sales pick up.

Xbox 180, that is an awesome turn of phrase, pun very much intended :eyebrow:

Regardless, it seems to me this is a common nightmarish hell that PR people must go through as a job. People seem willing go out and spend hundreds of dollars on something they read about once or heard about from a friend. The idea of carefully considered research that takes all of an hour on a product it took them twenty+ hours of work to earn seems an unabashedly foreign idea to most people.

It's like why you have to buy a 'Merican truck like Ford (Made in Mexico) rather than one of them foreign things like Toyota (made in the US).

Great interview, they're good dudes over there.

Regarding your choice, at this point what's spooking you? It's a categorical fact that the PS4 is more powerful than the XBone, the specs and teraflops (lol) alone make that clear — and now the games are providing the evidence.

If graphics and performance are your main priority, get a PS4. When looking at that aspect alone there's a clear winner. It's no longer accurate to say it might be more powerful.

As an aside, based on past history I think the PS4 operating system, controller, and exclusive games will be better too. But that's still opinion right now. ;)

Wow, look how similar the current-gen and next-gen versions of Ghosts look:

To me it looks like a great-looking current-gen game but an unremarkable next-gen game. I'd even argue that in some cases the current-gen version looks better because (bizarrely) they're using different colour grading for the next-gen version.

Going to be exciting to see how much better games look once they stop trying to work on current-gen too.

There is some lighting stuff (volumetric light rays in the jungle scene) and some very cool-looking particle effects (the tower-fall off the cliff has some very neat smoke-effect going on) but otherwise the next-gen stuff looks very similar.

I heard that when you use sights with a lot of zoom like ACOG and Target Finder, next-gen actually uses a real depth of field effect while last-gen uses an even or slightly gradient blur effect. I'm sure it's not a profound difference, but it could be quite noticeable if you're a fan of those attachments and it affects performance.

Yeah there are some nice improvements, but I was overall feeling quite underwhelmed by Ghosts' visuals and it's kind of reassuring to know that they're not really that representative of what the next generation has in store as it's basically a current-gen game with a bunch of general shaders and effects on top. It's going to be fascinating seeing what developers can get out of this hardware when building from the ground up with no compromises.