toblix

GTA V

I don't follow games writing a lot these days, but did I see something about this game being about the American Dream again? Right, if the American dream is to rise up to be a leader of a criminal organization (maybe it is?)

I don't know how I ended up here, but I'm kind of grossed out by what I've seen of GTA V despite loving the series from 1 to 3. When it's $200m worth of bad satire and sociopathic characters it feels like they're expecting you to take it seriously and that weirds me out.

That's how I felt about GTA IV. So I did take it seriously (never ran over pedestrians if I could avoid it, drove more or less legally, reloaded if I ever died in any of the missions) and ended up hating it by the end. I still have a hard time with the gameplay of GTA games crossed with the story they try to tell. Saint's Row is much more in my wheelhouse these days.

That's how I felt about GTA IV. So I did take it seriously (never ran over pedestrians if I could avoid it, drove more or less legally, reloaded if I ever died in any of the missions) and ended up hating it by the end. I still have a hard time with the gameplay of GTA games crossed with the story they try to tell. Saint's Row is much more in my wheelhouse these days.

So why do you play the story? I never did in GTA games, never saw the point.

And while I'll buy Saints Row 4 at some point, I'd rather spend my money on the two hundred million dollar, ridiculously huge, multiplayer included extravaganza. It's not like I enjoyed GTA 4 either, even not trying to take it seriously. But then I didn't enjoy Saints Row 3 one iota really. It's not like I'm ditching that series altogether because of one bad game.

Besides, it's not like either of you are giving 5 a fair shake. One of the main characters looks like psychotic, serial killer meth addict. I'd hardly call that "too serious".

One of the main characters looks like psychotic, serial killer meth addict. I'd hardly call that "too serious".

Yeah, it's not like there are critically acclaimed shows depicting insane meth-head criminals in a serious light or anything, jeez.

Yeah, it's not like there are critically acclaimed shows depicting insane meth-head criminals in a serious light or anything, jeez.

You know what I mean you sarcastic assed sonofabitch! He's the funny, jolly kind, you know, the stupid kind so we can laugh at him.

I don't follow games writing a lot these days, but did I see something about this game being about the American Dream again? Right, if the American dream is to rise up to be a leader of a criminal organization (maybe it is?)

These games seem to really want to offer a deconstruction of modern America that's on par with something like Goodfellas. That could work, if the story wasn't bolted onto a tonally incongruous gameplay system. But that's a criticism you could make of virtually any triple A game -- a meaningful story (told mostly through cut scenes) that is undermined by its own mechanics.

Frenetic Pony, many apologies for missing your point about GTAIV vanilla's admitted flaws. Level of Detail models can look funky (exemplified in your daytime screenshot), and there's all sorts of pop-ins to always crash into. And I have no idea what size tv screen Niko's cell phone is meant for, it's small on every screen I've used.

It's sort of interesting how Ballad of Gay Tony managed to clean up the shaders a bit. And the font size on the cellphone in that and Lost and The Damned is a mandatory improvment.

And being a xbox player I'll never persue the pleasures of sweet sweet mods. Only the ocassional benevolent modder in freeroam and their "Trials HD"esque constructions. Modders are common place, and frequently annoying (warping you around, trapping you in jail, attaching geometry to you). But when they're benevolent it's funny(giving you sweet indestructable cars, attaching geometry).

Sadly I've never felt ready to pull the trigger on the Saints Row series. Everyone looks like a WWF actor. Its just has too much machismo for my taste? GTAIV has its sexism but not ALL the women are in thighhighs.

Sleeping Dogs was a fun ride, for GTA-likes.

/me hops in a airport golf cart, does back flips off the curved airport walls

GTA 5's Leaked Xbox 360 Data Reveals PC, PS4 Build Code

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=678177

OK that settles it, I'm waiting. God damn Rockstar.

That video of the kid is sweet yet also slightly unnerving considering... you know... it's Grand Theft Auto. But then I was playing on Duke Nukem 3D at 9 and I more or less turned out fine. Apart from all these tentacles coming out of my face, anyway.

There's bound to be DLC for this, right? My guess would be in six, seven months that comes out alongside a PC/PS4 release that contains it. Presumably XBox too if it's still a thing by then.

I've been on a blackout for this but it's hard to avoid getting excited for it now it's been dispatched and is slowly working its way toward my letterbox. I'm expecting graphical compromises and general rough edges but based on how much I enjoyed a playthrough of GTA3 last weekend I'm not overly concerned of the impact this will have on my merriment. I didn't think 4 was half as bad as a lot of people did and if they can sort the issues it had, add an 80s pop station and give me a massive rural environment to crash in then I'll doubtless get my £35 worth from it this gen.

You have more willpower than me, sir.

That video of the kid is sweet yet also slightly unnerving considering... you know... it's Grand Theft Auto. But then I was playing on Duke Nukem 3D at 9 and I more or less turned out fine. Apart from all these tentacles coming out of my face, anyway.

I remember guessing my dad's password in Duke Nukem 3D to unlock MATURE CONTENT. I don't even have tentacles coming out of my face!

Again, I did the thing I where I preordered it back in June and then a couple of weeks ago I had forgotten about it, and did it again, so now I just got two shipment notifications. One's to my home address, and the other's to my office, though, so I guess I could argue for some sort of clever redundancy planning.

10/10 from Edge boooooooooooooo how disappointing

9.5 from polygon

come on eurogamer you are my last hope...... 9 :( and not a single backlash was lashed

i guess its the best game ever then, whoopty doo

10/10 from Edge boooooooooooooo how disappointing

9.5 from polygon

come on eurogamer you are my last hope...... 9 :( and not a single backlash was lashed

i guess its the best game ever then, whoopty doo

You sound disappointed

mmmmmmm like a warm bath

i wonder if he just didn't 'get it'

Bottom Line: A technical achievement, GTAV's driving and shooting gameplay in an excellently crafted open world is marred by a script that presents despicable characters as the protagonists.

i have read elsewhere that the characters and personalities are themselves a comment on the GTA series

Grand Theft Auto V is both a reflective and deflective game, diving into the heart of the GTA series with more than a few subtle things to say about itself. Michael is tired, and old, and wants to change, but he can't, and eventually he grows to accept and even enjoy that. Franklin is smarter than his surroundings, dreaming big but held back by old fashioned ideas. Trevor is hilarious, surprising, and a disgusting degenerate. All three characters, in their respective ways, feel representative of the Grand Theft Auto series as a whole, and contribute to making GTA V what it is -- the ultimate culmination of Rockstar's beloved and despised series. Personally, I think that's a fine thing to be.

Oh boy, it's gonna be so great when I get to play this in a good four-five months, or possibly later.

yeah same here, March leaps out at me for some reason. I predict a March release date.

Maybe a PC/next gen reveal at the Spike VGA's in Dec/Jan whenever it is