toblix

GTA V

In conclusion: "Before June 2014" would be a safe bet.

I can't wait that long! I'm an addict! Don't they know that, and that my pc is significantly more powerful than my console?

Wow, I must be rich. When did that happen?

5IVE

I hate that I read over this and didn't even question it until a few seconds later when I registered what I'd just read.

back in July both the Take Two ceo & Dan Hauser said they weren't planning on PS4/XBO releases. I don't really believe that, though. I would assume they'd do the same high res pass for the new consoles as the PC. 

Yay! Just as I was nearing the point of giving in and ordering a copy for a console, I have enough hope that I can continue to wait for new PC news!

back in July both the Take Two ceo & Dan Hauser said they weren't planning on PS4/XBO releases. I don't really believe that, though. I would assume they'd do the same high res pass for the new consoles as the PC. 

I'm with you on that alright, it's happening -- enter Mington stage right with itshappening.gif -- but not all at the same time

If I've got the references right then Rockstar's July Q&A said "We don’t have anything to share about the possibility of a next-gen or a PC platform release at this time" and Take Two CEO Strauss Zelnick ruled out a ""dual-generation launch" as far back as February (of course, duh, because neither XBO nor PS4 will be available in September (unless Kaz goes rabid for an early launch)).

GTA Online

What is it??? Some free to play bullshit

LOL! Thought you might enjoy this satirical screed, from the deep-thinking designer of Triple Town: lostgarden.com/2013/07/coercive-pay-2-play-techniques.html. Excerpt:

Coercive monetization models are used by many of the large corporations that dominate the "Pay to play" (P2P) charts in retail, console and mobile.

They employ carefully engineered psychological traps intended to defraud ignorant players of their money. This shocking expose shines a light on their dark, inhumane practices.

1. Purchasing sight unseen

The primary method is to get a player to purchase something without ever playing it. If you can get players excited about a new game, most will buy it with little more to go on than a box shot and a video. Many secondary techniques tie into this basic strategy of deceit....

:lol:

So, i'm guessing this is the multiplayer component of GTA Viv5....

In the 2013th year of our lord Jesus, i think its about time that someone started actually splitting up these "video" "games" in to their respective components. You just want the single player game... BAM, you just want to play the multiplayer... BOOM Have it your way!

Rockstar would be missing a trick if they didn't inject a little bit of that free to play hotness in to the GTA multiplayer. I can imagine them doing it ironically in typical GTA fashion and still making a fortune.

GTA Online, free to download, free to play. it'll also come's bundled on the GTA V game disk and because you've purchased the game you get £20's worth of in game GTA$'s to buy in game hairstyles and lava lamps. This could be the evolution of Playstation Home and second life, make it cross platform! Everyone has their own apartment, you can invite friends round, play cards, watch "video" "game" "trailers" on tele, make sweet love and then take them out for a ride in you jet plane (That you've spent £50 of your Earth money on)

I'm not really into the GTA story anymore, but I'd love to play multiplayer with people who did buy it, so yay I guess?

Rockstar would be missing a trick if they didn't inject a little bit of that free to play hotness in to the GTA multiplayer. I can imagine them doing it ironically in typical GTA fashion and still making a fortune.

I would love it if they produced some kind of baby-Lords Management strategy thing for iPad that was really terrible, just to completely upset a lot of hardcore GTA fans who would then buy it anyway.

Boom

http://www.rockstargames.com/videos/video/10983

http://www.rockstargames.com/V/GTAOnline

Looks huge

No mention of in game purchases... but it does have in game currency for buying hair styles and lava lamps. Will you be able to spend real money to get in game money?

Sounds like Rockstar are still being kind of vague with the details

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4624104/gta-5-grand-theft-auto-online-reveal-trailer

Grand Theft Auto Online will be available on Oct. 1, a couple of weeks after Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out, and access to it will be free to owners of the game. According to Rockstar, it is a persistent online world that will "continue to expand and evolve after its launch." Rockstar will update GTA Online with its own content, but it will also allow for user-created content such as races and deathmatches.

Players will have the ability to customize their character, as in the online component of Red Dead Redemption, and rank up by doing things like buying customized cars, purchasing property and going on missions by themselves or with friends. And as in Red Dead Redemption, users will also be able to partake in unstructured play, messing around in the open world of Los Santos.

It's unclear at this point if GTA Online will be a standalone game, or if players will have to buy Grand Theft Auto 5 in order to play it. We've reached out to Rockstar for more information, and will update this article with any details we receive.

My prediction is coming true before my very eyes

An actual preview:

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/why-grand-theft-auto-online-is-crazy-enough-to-work-6412714/

I'm glad the lobby's gone, and you can (apparently) just flow through the city from one activity to another as you wish. The bits of Grand Thumb Auto when we dick about are often the best, so it'll be great not to have to sit in menus any more and just smoothly flow from one thing to another (or not).

I'm going to guess that activities will work similarly to Burnout Paradise's races, in that you'll see them all over the map by default and can choose to start them by driving/walking up to them and opting in. I would guess quite a few of them will require crews of players to do them, and it'll be interesting to see just how Rockstar copes with the huge demand.

It'll be interesting to see how the character-driven activities work, too. I'm anticipating they'll be like finite bundles of missions, with progressively bigger rewards—either content unlocks or ever-greater piles of in-game cash.

A friend's just rightly pointed out the potential for griefing, however. If this is all open world, and everyone's in the same space, there could be endless opportunities for fucking about and ruining other people's games. Will be very interested to see how Rockstar deals with that.

On the one hand, I can see how cool it would be to secretly camp out somewhere lucrative and then rip-off another group after they've done the work. On the other, if you're getting ripped off all the time by other gangs, it's going to make for a pretty miserable and fun-free experience.

I was just thinking that, if 15 players are having a jet sky race. I'll be the one player in an attack helicopter making strafing machine gun runs

Could this just be a testing bed for a subscription based GTA MMO a couple of years down the line?

Could this just be a testing bed for a subscription based GTA MMO a couple of years down the line?

That would make a lot of sense, especially if they can somehow make the character-driven stuff coherent from one character to the next.

I very much enjoyed GTA IV's linearity (so shoot me) for this reason, particularly when the Episodes characters were neatly intertwined with events that happened in the main storyline.

Just had another thought, though it's a stupid one: if they allow players to chose to be cops, that would be a massive "fuck you" to Realtime Worlds and former DMA Design (aka Rockstar North) boss, Dave Jones.

Actually, that'd be a very Rockstar thing to do...

I guess there would be nothing stopping you being a vigilante, which I'd probably quite enjoy, assuming there would be a mechanic for returning stuff rather than walking off with it yourself.