toblix

GTA V

Except loads of people are almost certainly holding out for a possible next-gen or PC version — I know I am. They should just announce the damn things so they can start taking preorders rather than leaving a load of people ordering nothing.

Making a big bang on current-gen makes sense, as does withholding details of next-gen versions to ensure that happens.

I don't think PC sales would have much impact on this, however, because I don't believe many console gamers also own "decent" gaming PCs as well.

And by "decent" I mean capable of running a current-gen console game conversion at a high resolution, with a smooth, fast frame rate. I'm not being snobby, basically; I'm talking about which platform is going to give most people the best experience--their dedicated games machine, or the cheap family laptop.

I might just buy this game twice. Once on 360 and possibly once on PC or next gen if the graphical/performance improvements are noticeable enough. I figure by the time it comes out for other platforms it will have been long enough that I'll be ready to give the game a second play. Having achieved 100% on all of the GTA's since GTA 3 and still wanting more I think it will be worth it.

I'm guessing they're probably in a little bit of a panic about this, but rather than go through this charade, where we all know they're not being totally honest, they should just say "we'll sell you the upgrade for $15 or like $30 including the first big DLC." We'll all do it.

I'm guessing they're probably in a little bit of a panic about this, but rather than go through this charade, where we all know they're not being totally honest, they should just say "we'll sell you the upgrade for $15 or like $30 including the first big DLC." We'll all do it.

Speak for yourself.

'Charade' is probably the best way of putting it. We know they're most likely going to release a next-gen and PC version, they know we want a next-gen and PC version. They also know that we know that they're only not announcing it because they don't want to cannibalise current-gen sales. We're in a ridiculous stalemate where everyone knows what the deal is.

I know for a fact that people are holding off on buying any version of it because there's no announcement of other versions. I also know for a fact that I and many others would most likely pull the trigger on a next-gen preorder immediately if one were made available, thus Rockstar could be enjoying my money right now.

To me it seems like they should just go ahead and announce it, and then let people start pre-ordering rather than sitting on the fence. They'll get some dosh coming in, and we can relax rather than feeling like we're potentially going to be bummed if we buy the current-gen version and then other versions are announced soon afterwards.

There are going to be zounds of people who have already decided they won't immediately buy a next gen console, nor own a PC, and will have no qualms about purchasing GTAV for current gen.

But what does that matter? Those people will be buying it for the current generation either way. All Rockstar is doing is losing out on the extra sales they could be making from those of us waiting for a next-gen/PC version. Maybe some will succumb to temptation and just go ahead and get the current-gen version, but I'm betting that a lot will stick to their guns. I know that I'll be waiting at least several months for an announcement of other versions before I conclude it's not coming and might as well just get the current-gen one — I have plenty of other games to play.

The bit that I don't like is that Rockstar is basically trying to pressure people into a choice they might later regret. That is shit.

Yes, I was in agreement with you. Rockstar should just go ahead and announce the exact schedule. It's especially weird that they're being coy about the PC version that everyone knows is coming, since that version won't cannibalize console sales at all. It's a pretty different market.

Maybe they're keeping quiet about it as the next question will be "if they've created a fancy PC version with nicer textures and shit, why can't they port that to next gen consoles" (I know i'd be asking that)

Riddle me this! If there was indeed no plans to ever create a next gen version, would the PC version have been announced be now?

Yeah, it makes sense that they would lump in the PC release with the PS4/XBONE super versions next summer or fall.

That way they can scale those 3 versions up properly as GOTY edition or something. 

Riddle me this! If there was indeed no plans to ever create a next gen version, would the PC version have been announced be now?

mind_blown.gif

but to get a good market share, didnt the last steam poll say most people still dont have a 360 equivalent graphics setup. Pretty sure that was FIFAs excuse for denying pc owners the next gen bells and wistles outright with FIFA 14

'Charade' is probably the best way of putting it. We know they're most likely going to release a next-gen and PC version, they know we want a next-gen and PC version. They also know that we know that they're only not announcing it because they don't want to cannibalise current-gen sales. We're in a ridiculous stalemate where everyone knows what the deal is.

I know for a fact that people are holding off on buying any version of it because there's no announcement of other versions. I also know for a fact that I and many others would most likely pull the trigger on a next-gen preorder immediately if one were made available, thus Rockstar could be enjoying my money right now.

To me it seems like they should just go ahead and announce it, and then let people start pre-ordering rather than sitting on the fence. They'll get some dosh coming in, and we can relax rather than feeling like we're potentially going to be bummed if we buy the current-gen version and then other versions are announced soon afterwards.

Rockstar doesn't get any money from you pre-ordering the game, unless it's through their store. It's Amazon/Gamestop/etc who's holding onto your money, not Rockstar. There is absolutely no benefit for them to annouce a PC/X1/PS4 version at this time. If anything. there is a small detrement in possbily loosing a few X360/PS3 sales from those people are willing to wait.

It's dumb, everyone on here knows there will be more versions, but it makes sense.

Rockstar doesn't get any money from you pre-ordering the game, unless it's through their store. It's Amazon/Gamestop/etc who's holding onto your money, not Rockstar. There is absolutely no benefit for them to annouce a PC/X1/PS4 version at this time. If anything. there is a small detrement in possbily loosing a few X360/PS3 sales from those people are willing to wait.

It's dumb, everyone on here knows there will be more versions, but it makes sense.

Sure, but at least they know the sales are coming. Letting people pre-order while the hype train is at full speed seems sensible to me, rather than hooking them again later once people have moved on. While I'm a drop in the ocean, one benefit to announcing a next-gen version right now is that they'd immediately have my commitment to buy. Who's to say that I won't become indifferent some months down the line once I'm preoccupied with — or have spent all my money on — other next-gen games?

I dunno, this just seems very badly thought out to me. I'm sat here wanting to hand over money for a product, and the seller won't just come out and confirm that it is or isn't going to be available. If they say it is, I'll preorder. if they say it isn't, I'll buy the current-gen version. As it is, I'm doing neither. And I'm not alone.

And sorry Rodi, I misread the intent of your post.

Tangentially related to the bollocks above, someone pointed out earlier that the official gameplay trailers with the woman narrating have been shot on consoles while all the screenshots have been shot on the game running on PCs and/or next-gen consoles. So if anyone's interested in what the difference will be, they're a pretty good benchmark. Aside from the fact that the current-gen versions will likely be running at a lower frame rate and ~720p rather than 1080p, of course. It's easy to make similar comparisons by using the videos and available screenshots.

iJwFkWK.jpg

So console versions get a biplane and PC a parachute?! ONce again the shitty consoles ruins pcgaming..... Id rather have less trees and a plance to be hoest..

Sure, but at least they know the sales are coming. Letting people pre-order while the hype train is at full speed seems sensible to me, rather than hooking them again later once people have moved on. While I'm a drop in the ocean, one benefit to announcing a next-gen version right now is that they'd immediately have my commitment to buy. Who's to say that I won't become indifferent some months down the line once I'm preoccupied with — or have spent all my money on — other next-gen games?

I dunno, this just seems very badly thought out to me. I'm sat here wanting to hand over money for a product, and the seller won't just come out and confirm that it is or isn't going to be available. If they say it is, I'll preorder. if they say it isn't, I'll buy the current-gen version. As it is, I'm doing neither. And I'm not alone.

And sorry Rodi, I misread the intent of your post.

The real question is, after the X360/PS3 release, when they announce the PC version, will you refuse to buy it because they didn't announce it now? If no, then they haven't lost anything by making you wait. I guess Rockstar and I are of the opinion that the number of people that will buy it twice (way too many I'd wager) are worth the few people that are waiting for the PC version and then change their minds later. Besides, even if they did announce it and put up pre-orders, nothing is stopping you from canceling that preorder at a later time.

Dat blurry rock texture. And less treeeeees

I'm holding out for the version with maximum foliage

I suspect that a shot taken from a video might very well have some motion blur both from effects being rendered by the game and imperfect video compression.

Regardless, that console shot looks like garbage.

It depends, really — but it's certainly not about refusing. At the moment I'm totally hyped and want to buy it, but there's a whole new generation of shit coming. If it takes them until next year to announce it, chances are that by then I'll be totally engrossed with whatever gems the next generation has to offer. Now is an opportune time to pillage my wallet because there's little else I'm interested in buying right now, whereas next year I'll probably be maxing out my money available for gaming on all sorts of stuff every month.

I don't know how I ended up here, but I'm kind of grossed out by what I've seen of GTA V despite loving the series from 1 to 3. When it's $200m worth of bad satire and sociopathic characters it feels like they're expecting you to take it seriously and that weirds me out.