toblix

GTA V

Yeah, the setting of GTA5 is super disappointing to me. I'm sure it'll still be fun, but I'm about a million times less interested in exploring a facsimile of LA than a facsimile of New York.

I also really liked GTA IV's grotty environment. It felt lived-in and was essential in sympathising with Nico and Roman's shitty reality.

On the flip side, GTA V's setting looks to be a mixing pot of over-indulged superficiality and spoilt brat mentality.

Say what you like, but Rockstar's social commentary is one of my favourite things in gaming.

I too really liked Grand Theft Auto 4's look. Obviously it was very grey and claustrophobic, but that was the point. While I've never been to New York, after watching countless documentaries, films, and TV shows about it I very much got the feeling that the atmosphere GTA4 created was somewhat authentic. It might not literally look the same, but it gives you its 'this place is glorious but kind of shitty' feeling.

With that said, I vastly preferred San Andreas to GTA3 for the same reasons that will likely make me vastly GTA5 to GTA4. I do like colour in my games, and I like natural environments that contrast with the relentless cityscapes. I got more of a 'this is somewhere I actually like spending time' feeling from San Andreas, exploring mountains, deserts, and forests. I never got that in GTA3 or GTA4.

All that said, some of the technical shit that went on with the PS3 version of GTA4 in particular was unfortunate. The game was very much marred by running on a sub-720p resolution (I think the PS3 version was actually closer to standard definition than the minimum requirement of 'HD') and aggressive detail clipping.

I concur, and that's kind of a biased spot to illustrate your point, nightime was a wash of colours all over the map, especially the manhattan strip.
I think people overlook how reviolutionary the physics engine for the human behaviour was, along with the huge up-close detail, it holds alot of fond memories.

Also i used to play a great game with friends we refered to as "CHASE" where one person would fly the rocket/machine gun helicoptor from the Gay Tony DLC and try to stop 2 or more people in one car from reaching the other island, anything goes, the physics and hilarity was great.
fn9D2Vg.jpg

I concur, and that's kind of a biased spot to illustrate your point, nightime was a wash of colours all over the map, especially the manhattan strip.

I think people overlook how reviolutionary the physics engine for the human behaviour was, along with the huge up-close detail, it holds alot of fond memories.

Oh good, because my shot is in the middle of the day, thanks for proving my point!

And I didn't mention the setting guys, c'mon! I mentioned that the art direction and assets and programming produced a washed out, indistinct blocky brown blur (say that 5 times fast) rather than something that looked, you know, good. You can't tell me the PC version with mods and the brown removed doens't look way better:

And I didn't mention the setting guys, c'mon! I mentioned that the art direction and assets and programming produced a washed out, indistinct blocky brown blur (say that 5 times fast) rather than something that looked, you know, good. You can't tell me the PC version with mods and the brown removed doens't look way better:

i really liked the art direction but it needed a decent pc to run it. iCEmod was way to shiny and extreme contrast level.

i have a GTX680 its a whole different world to the one on 360/PS3, you add maximum pedestrains and it comes alive with them jabbering, all the bells and whistles make this game, which is a shame for most people who wont run it on those specs.

I don't think GTA 4 really did New York justice. That city may be a mess, but it's a beautiful, vibrant mess, with all sorts of cultures and architectural styles crammed in next to eachother and built on top of one another. There's energy coming out of the walls there, and you can feel the culture and the vibrancy by standing on just about any street corner. Some might call it ugly, but it's definitely not drab and empty like Liberty City was.

I like GTA 4, and that was probably the closest representation of the city that I've seen in a video game, but I don't think the technology was there. I'm excited for them to do it again.

I like Algonquin. It definitely gets most of the broad strokes of Manhattan  although it has a pretty dire view of Harlem which puts projects over culture. The outer-boroughs are pretty disappointing for me. Broker is probably the best, acting as a mish-mash of Brighton Beach, Coney Island, and Park Slope with some familiar landmarks thrown in for good measure. All in all, it feels like an Epcot version of Brooklyn whereas Algonquin feels like a simply abbreviated Manhattan. Dukes and Bohan--the Brooklyn and Queens analogues are pretty dreadful. Dukes at least has some familiar landmarks. Bohan just reduces the Bronx to indefinable ugly city. 

I may have asked about this before, sooooooooo ...

Does anyone know if this game will be available digitally on one or both of the consoles at launch? I remember making an actual physical effort to get a hold of an actual, physical copy of The Last of Us, and then finding it on the PSN store when I got home. Are all console games released digitally at this point, maybe? I really don't know.

Oh, I guess there was the debacle with the GTA V preloading, so I guess that means it'll at least be available digitally on PS3. So I guess I'm only wondering about Xbox 360.

edit: I went and found out myself, and apparently it will be delayed slightly on the Xbox because MS are fools:

"For those asking about digital pre-orders on Xbox LIVE, the Xbox 360 Games on Demand service does not offer the ability to pre-order games or make them available on launch day. That being said, we will be making GTAV available via Games on Demand as soon as it's technically feasible and permitted by Microsoft."

Did they ever specify when the PC version would be coming out?

It's not even officially confirmed, despite the studio head "being open to it" and some guy seemingly officially hired to do it and etc. It's not like any other GTA was a day 1 PC release anyway.

As to the map, I'm both perfectly satisfied and disappointed. I mean, yeah it looks as huge as it promised, but it's not Godus which is the size of Jupiter or even Just Cause 2 on which that island would be only one of several the same size with huge oceans in between. I mean, you can always want more you know? B)

I also wish I could buy it digitally. I'd really prefer to buy it and download it and just have it. But I'd need to it be bought digitally from Gamestop because I have gift card to there for $40, and really that would be immensely helpful. As far as I know that means I'm going to have to pre-order it and pick it up physically at the store if I want it day 1, unless someone would correct me?

As to the map, I'm both perfectly satisfied and disappointed. I mean, yeah it looks as huge as it promised, but it's not Godus which is the size of Jupiter or even Just Cause 2 on which that island would be only one of several the same size with huge oceans in between. I mean, you can always want more you know? B)

Hmm.. I'd rather have a better game than more map.

I'm torn between waiting for PC and getting it for PS3. My PS3 is still at my parents house because I don't have a TV. So I would have to buy a TV to play this because I'm not going to go and play a 100 hour game at my parents'. But I don't really want a TV :(

[edit]Hmm... I could take my PS3 to the office, where we have a big screen... but it's the same room with a conference/ping-pong table and I would have to keep moving stuff around to play in the evenings and pissing off people who want to play ping-pong instead.

BOOM

http://www.amazon.de/Rockstar-Games-Grand-Theft-Playstation/dp/B00EV4KI3K/ref=sr_1_21?s=video games

I took a screen shot for when/if it gets taken down

post-27841-0-43641400-1378910621_thumb.jpg

Everyone on GAF is calling it fake. Would Amazon put up a fake product page?

On closer inspection there's no way that's a legit cover, there's a picture of an xbox hard drive in the bottom right corner :/

Also PC. What the hell is going on :zoid:

Nifty. I was already holding out, because it seems like such an obvious thing to do, right? I mean, even if the game in its current state is really well-optimized for the PS3 and 360, an open world physicsy game with tons of entities running around will benefit so neatly and immediately from the additional resources of the newer hardware. 

GTA IV on my current PC is a very different experience than it was at release on any platform. 

this song and dance is so weird. "open to a pc release" even though every other GTA is available for PC, it's only grown as a platform, and this is the game that cost you the most?

If they announce there will be a next gen version or a PC version, people won't buy the 360/PS3 version. I'm sure they're shooting for one of those lame "Biggest Entertainment Launch Ever" type headlines, so they're going to keep their mouth shut until after release.

As for the screenshot, Amazon has been known to put up speculations before and that cover is definitely a bit odd.

If they announce there will be a next gen version or a PC version, people won't buy the 360/PS3 version. I'm sure they're shooting for one of those lame "Biggest Entertainment Launch Ever" type headlines, so they're going to keep their mouth shut until after release.

As for the screenshot, Amazon has been known to put up speculations before and that cover is definitely a bit odd.

Except loads of people are almost certainly holding out for a possible next-gen or PC version — I know I am. They should just announce the damn things so they can start taking preorders rather than leaving a load of people ordering nothing.

I was thinking this morning about whether to buy physical or digital with this, it would be easier to go digital, but that depends on the price, but then I won't be able to trade it in.... Decisions decisions

I will never play this more than once, there is a month long window in my life where I will play GTA V5 and then I'll put it away never to be touched again. And now with this tiny amount of speculation I'm just going to wait. Nuff said.

Except loads of people are almost certainly holding out for a possible next-gen or PC version — I know I am. They should just announce the damn things so they can start taking preorders rather than leaving a load of people ordering nothing.

People on this very thread are waffling between getting it now and waiting for a possible PC version. I would think that at least some of those same people would commit to PC if they new for sure it was going to happen here soon. Thus, it would have an impact if they released it.

Alternately, if you've already comitted to holding out, what difference does it make if they announce it this week or next week?