Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

If you haven't checked out Crimson Shroud yet, you should absolutely take advantage of the sale when it starts.

Yeah thanks for the heads-up I wanted to get this (vagrant story fan), but the board game aspect was kind of making me hesitant.

Finally bravely default gets a date, that was the main reason I got the 3ds, that and Luigi's mansion (which so far is quite good).

Yeah, new Link to the Past looks genuinely awesome. And they got really close to the original style, closer than I thought they could in 3D.

Yoshi's Island is the exact opposite! I really hope they're far from finished so that the final product looks just slightly closer to the original. So far it just looks like the original devoid of any of its charms and soul.

I haven't actually seen any of the Nintendo Direct stuff, but a LttP sequel might finally be the thing to push me over the edge and get a 3DS.  While I won't argue that it's the "best" one, Link to the Past is absolutely my favorite Zelda game.

It looks like Yoshi's Story from what I've seen in screenshots. Or Yoshi's Topsy Turvy, the GBA game (that wasn't that good...).

If anybody hasn't seen the Guild 02 games:

That AC:NL 3DS XL is ugly.

Dude, If I had a purse, I would want it to look like the Animal Crossing 3DS.

Oh, also, there's another Professor Layton game coming out meant to "finish the second trilogy," whatever that means.

If anybody hasn't seen the Guild 02 games:

Ah man I'll have to get the first one, I'm a sucker for games like My Summer Vacation.

Guild02: The Starship Damrey sounds really good!

Yoshi's Island 2 (3?) looks uninteresting.

A Link to the Past (2?) looks neat, but I'm skeptical on what it'll do beyond leaning on the original. I loved the topdown DS Zelda games, also because they went into such wonderful, new directions. Taking a template of a 1995 game is good for nostalgia, but maybe it won't feel as fresh as something brand new. We'll see.

That Direct had everything but left me feeling a bit deflated.

I've never played LttP. As far as I understand it's more or less Ocarina, in 2D. I've ploughed through a backlog of Spirit Tracks, the original NES game Four Swords and now I'm on Zelda II. Maybe I'm just Zelda-ed out. Then again, I was itching for the inevitable Majora's 3D to be announced.

I was thinking yesterday about the intro to Ocarina with the moon and Link riding. It's a really surprising, understated opening and that's what I'm missing from all the installments I've played recently. They're all bombast and the main theme. Majora's was the antithesis of that - maybe that's why I'm hankering for it. I feel the franchise is teetering on the edge of Mario-style overkill (though that could be because I've recently caught up with so many past installments).

I don't know who buys all these Mario Party games.

Agree with miffy495 that Yoshi's Island looks like Yoshi's Story. It looks better in motion but still not great. Plus they already have Yoshi's Epic Yarn on Wii U - why not make that the new Yoshi's Island? Imagine if they did that and jacked in a couple of the Mario games to made something...new 

Wii U needs some serious trousers-down love in the run up to E3.

It's crazy, yeah, but I had too been crossing fingers for Majora. Even with the HUGE amount of titles in that video, including Link to the Past ffs, the lack of Majora shone brightest.

Best part, I will reiterate, was Guild02.

Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are superb.  I'm really looking forward to being able to play them again.

Ditto. They're one of the reasons I still have my old SP around, as it's what I need to play the old GBC games. Thinking of back catalogue stuff that needs to get out there (and reasons I still have an SP), maybe now that Gamefreaks has put out their Harmoknight game (it's good!) Nintendo will remember that they have Drill Dozer and put that up for download somewhere as well.

If Drill Dozer goes up on Wii U VC as part of the GBA lineup, I hope they include the rumble since that controller is capable of it. It's actually really integral to the experience. ...Unfortunately the added bulk of the motor makes it uncomfortable to play on the Gameboy Micro, but whatever.

The saddest thing is that you can still find stacks of brand new copies of that game at every EB Games I've ever gone to.

You've been to EB's that still have GBA games?

If by "GBA games" you mean Dynasty Warriors, Drill Dozer, and that one fucking Yu-Gi-Oh game, then yes.

I still sort of regret repeatedly passing up the new copy of Yggdra Union that they had (and likely still have) at the EB in my old town. GBA is probably my favourite system, specifically I'm a huge fan of the Gameboy Micro.

I just bought Aeroporter for 3 bucks off of the eShop sale. I basically proceeded to tank my game in less than three work shifts, i ran out of fuel and money before it was even done tutorializing. With the way your status persists, I had to erase the game's save and start over.

So Aeroporter is difficult, and i was furious at it for the first little bit, but it's slowly growing on me.

Like a tumor.

Protip: It's better to load the wrong luggage than have a flight cancelled.

Protip: It's better to load the wrong luggage than have a flight cancelled.

A few levels after I figured this out, I realized that this game was more stressful than fun and stopped playing.

Aeroporter is basically root beer tapper as designed by sadistic assholes.

That's currently my impression of the game.

Aeroporter had a weird enjoyment curve. I hated my first hour with it, then suddenly something clicked and I jumped ahead a few levels, but then I, too, was consumed by the stress of it. It actually has a goddamned fog of war.

It's funny, because I think the core mechanic is a clever one and I quite like the idea of the game.  But constantly being harrangued by sound effects and pop-ups had a very stressful effect, much like the dreaded low-health beep in Zelda.  I can't tell if stress is fundamental to the mechanic, or if changing some of the UI elements and sound effects would have alleviated that.

I really enjoyed Majora's Mask, but am I the only one who thought it was pretty hard with that time limit in place? I also didn't particularly love the puzzles that required you to get one thing done on day one, another done in the daytime of day two, and then something right at noon on day three. Just seemed a little too fussy for my tastes, but I guess if I just stopped being a completionist many of my Zelda problems would be solved as well.

You're not the only one, but I think for many (including myself) its difficulty was part of its charm.

It's funny, because I think the core mechanic is a clever one and I quite like the idea of the game.  But constantly being harrangued by sound effects and pop-ups had a very stressful effect, much like the dreaded low-health beep in Zelda.  I can't tell if stress is fundamental to the mechanic, or if changing some of the UI elements and sound effects would have alleviated that.

It's not just things like that, but also how punishing the fail states are.

A bomb going off in your luggage carousel doesn't just make you lose the game for that given workshift, you have to spend the next few workshifts recovering from the damage it causes. I mean, and it's not like the game goes easy on you because you're trying to recover from a fuck-up, it's going to keep kicking you while you're down.

This game is an asshole.

I'm still playing it.