Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I ordered this too, but it's not coming out till thursday next week here. It's gonna be my first Animal Crossing game, so I'm not quite sure what you can do with the network stuff. All I know is that it's all weird. My thing, in case anyone wants to swap some fruits.

You can invite people into your town for activities! Through the internet! The internet!

There's also apparently now a thing where they'll be able to visit your town while you're offline, but in a "look, but don't touch" sense of interaction.

I didn't get much out of the Wii version of Animal Crossing when I played that, but that experience might have been coloured by some terrible things that were going on in my life that directly influenced the game, and everyone's all up in my business about how this is apparently by far the best version and allegedly fixes all of the things that I disliked previously.

HMMMMMM

It's a little difficult to pin down why, but the Wii game was probably the least interesting in the series. There's a lot of reasons for it, but It might also just be that Animal Crossing is much, much better suited to a portable format, where it feels more appropriate to play it in the short, daily bursts that it was designed for.

Ideally, you spend like twenty-thirty minutes with it a day, and then maybe an hour on the weekends to check in with your friends and see what stuff they've been doing in their villages.

Myself, at least, when i sit down in front of a TV, i want to really dig into a game. However, going at Animal Crossing like that quickly reveals that, while there's a whole lot to do overall, there isn't a whole lot to do at any one time.

Anyways, ACNL seems awesome.

Plug.

Neat! StreetPass is one of the neatest things.

Neat! StreetPass is one of the neatest things.

In several months of carrying a 3DS around San Francisco, the only streetpass I ever got was from passing Ryan Davis on the freeway on my way to work :(

I live in Ontario, and my girlfriends gets about 7 streetpasses at her office building every day. I'm always surprised how many people are carrying 3DSs there.

I got a ton when I went to ComicCon. So many people had 3DSes with them.

Other than that, I only ever get my roommates showing up every once in a while.

In several months of carrying a 3DS around San Francisco, the only streetpass I ever got was from passing Ryan Davis on the freeway on my way to work :(

I get a couple unique StreePasses daily when I carry mine to work! And then there's like twenty people at work who have one.

The difference I guess is I don't drive, I take the BART. U:

I commute through New York Penn Station, which is where nearly all of my not-many-streetpasses have occurred.

At least three people who take my train in the morning also have a 3DS, though I wouldn't know who they were in person...

I walk everywhere, which gives me reasonable opportunities to Streetpass. I don't always get them, but they come often enough that it's worth the effort (plus you get play coins no matter what, which means more sweet Nintendo merchandise in Animal Crossing). Plus a few coworkers, a neighbour, and a few local store clerks all have 3DSes.

Wait, Play Coins can be used in Animal Crossing?! I gotta start saving up. I keep using them up on stupid Mii Plaza stuff.

I've been playing Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D! for the past week, waiting for my AC:NL copy to arrive. It's pretty god damn solid. Absolutely feels like a DK Country game but new, fresh and incredibly polished (so far, at least.) It makes me pretty excited and confident that Nintendo will pull off other retreads like the Link to the Past sequel.

I just got to the point in Animal Crossing when streetpassing is enabled, and I'm on a train to Grand Central Terminal. I expect to get some passes, but who knows if any of them will contain AC data?

Wish me luck!

Ah Animal Crossing! I'm waiting for my free download code to arrive. Is it weird I'm more psyched for this than anything at E3?

Just an eShop heads-up, a new Picross game for the 3DS and Mighty Switch Force 2 just went up.

Wait, Play Coins can be used in Animal Crossing?! I gotta start saving up. I keep using them up on stupid Mii Plaza stuff.

You can spend two per day on a fortune cookie at Tommy and Timmy's store. You get a numbered fortune that you can bring to them to swap for awesome Nintendo knicknacks and clothing. I have a Super Mushroom, Mario's nose and moustache, and a Yoshi egg. Friends of mine have been finding spinning Koopa shells, a Metroid in a glass tube, various Mario hats, and the Triforce.

Also, I hit the bell limit. It just stuffs 90,000 bells into a bag for you and leaves the rest in your purse. I'm up to $160,000 or so now. I like that this game supports literally stuffing your life savings in a mattress.

Don't forget about the automatic teller in the post office, you can make deposits there.

As for the play coin items, i am super jealous of that Metroid.

I know you can, but right now I'm just hanging onto them because I can't pay off two loans in one day. I upgraded from a tent to a house this morning, then paid off my house and asked Nook to expand it. Tomorrow morning I'm going to pay the 98,000 bells and ask him to expand it again.

Also that Metroid is going to be the one tacky hilarious thing I keep on display once I get it.

Hey, I streetpassed you once too (probably the same way).

When I started working at Telltale I usually only got two or three streetpasses a day from coworkers, but now that we're in a new office and I'm closer to QA, plus a bunch of other people have got 3DSes, I consistently hit the 10-tags-at-a-time limit. I wish they'd raise/get rid of that.

The streetpass feature in Animal Crossing is pretty great. It's fun to be able to check in on my colleagues' interior decorating every day.

On my way back out of NYC, and after two trips through Grand Central, farting

around midtown and the East Village, and riding the G and the 7 this morning, I've got one pass from someone with no games in common.

I'm looking forward to the streetpass contagion update.

Yeah but freeway passes are the best because it means you happened to be near someone long enough to exchange the information. One of my first streetpasses was during some rain traffic on the freeway, felt super cool.

Also, something nerdy: My former former boss offered to take my 3DS to Anime Con for me and check every 10 people and now I nearly have all the pink puzzle pieces and I have FINALLY met five females in a row.