Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

Today in Chiba there was the Nintendo Media Conference. In the same Makuhari Messe that hosted TGS just a short while ago.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30671/3DS_To_Launch_February_26_In_Japan.php

Nintendo dropped the official details and bunch of videos about 3DS.

My mind is turning upside down about thinking what the hell are those Augmented Reality Cards about? :erm:

Big amazing news bit is that GB, GBC and GBA games are coming to the 3DS Virtual Console, but I'm not holding much hope that the pricing for those will be anything realistic. Propably they will put insane prices on everything like Wii's Virtual Console has.

"some “classic games” updated and re-released in 3D." That is also quite interesting to hear what that will be in the end.

GRSdUvbLhSo

AzOUHU5SKSA

Release date 26 February 2011 in Japan, USA and Europe to follow up in March.

Price point 25000 yen in Japan, 300 dollars in today's crappy exchange rate and if I guess correctly NoE will be an ass and put the price in Europe to 300 euros.

Interesting is that 25000 yen is 220 euros at today's exchange rate. I hope NoE will show some balls and put the price according to the exchange rate.

The official details about US and Europe are not yet reveiled and those will be said at a later point.

Yeah, I've little hope for the pricing, though I'd be disappointed if the price were over 250. I also seriously doubt the viability of the machine at that price range: Wii's are less expensive.

As for the games, they look sweet. And I'm hoping there'll be a 3D remake of Majora's Mask after Ocarina, along with adjusted difficulty (that stupid fish boss!).

Nintendo must have brainwashed me... I keep saying that I haven't enjoyed most of their games lately and that I don't give a damn about Nintendo anymore, but....

Something tells me I'm going to sell a few organs so I can afford this....:frusty:

Apparently they're going to allow DSi -> 3DS purchase transfers (talking DSiWare specifically, here). This is fantastic news! But it will be limited in two fashions.

1) Not all games will be transferable - this is frustrating, but understandable.

2) Games will only be transferable from one system to another for a limited number (they did not say how much) - this is frustrating, and stupid.

It's a good thing I don't have a DSi yet, although it would suck if the only DSi game I want to play (Shantae) ends up being incompatible with the 3DS...

I don't have a DSi either, but it still concerns me, for similar reasons.

One thing is for sure, most people who were saving up for an DS to DSi upgrade are going to skip the DSi directly, I know I am....

And I just remember that Nintendo never drops prices... the price of the 3DS won't drop unless they make a 3DS Lite.... which the will, obviously...:shifty:

Could some one meld this thread and this together?

The Nintendo media happening is going at Makuhari Messe this weekend and lots of new details are pouring in.

I'm mostly disappointed about the battery life, 3-8 hours isn't a lot. Well, my DS lite can do 10 hours on the dimmest backlight setting, but 3 hours for playing a 3DS game on the lowest setting is really not that much!

Here's a nice quick trailer showcasing some upcoming games.

I'm really excited to see Tom Clancy's Shadow Wars in motion starting at 1:34

X5GdDwripjE

Yeah, 3 hours mean you'll probably have to have it plugged in constantly, but then again, it seems the 3D only works when it's perfectly still, so... the 3DS is actually less portable than the Virtual Boy?

I'm debating whether to wait for the next version of the 3DS, but... How do we know the battery life will be really worth the wait? Will they actually improve the battery life?;(

Haven't followed the news very closely but 3 hours of gameplay and equal charging times sounds pretty bad. Can you still charge 3DS using a regular plug or do you have to use a charging dock for that?

Tanukitsune, I guess the only assurance is the improvements in battery technology. By the time 3DSi (or whatever) will be released higher performance batteries are likely to be available for cheaper price.

Yeah, but when will it happen? And how much will it increase? What it's just 4.5 hours in the next version?

Not to mention you never know if the games that will come out on the release date will be available when the next version is out? :blink:

Not if you go on a plane trip, even if the trip is just an hour long, you're going to spend a few hours waiting for the plane and then a few hours until you reach your hotel.

I never actually play for the eight hours I can get on my DSi, but I do usually play DS games in this weird short format similar to iPhone games. Usually I just burn through 15 minutes of any given game, then close the damn thing and pick it back up... the next day. I feel like that's not really going to be viable for the 3DS, which kinda pushes my iPod Touch as my personal handheld choice in the future.

In short, it's probably going to take a price drop/mid-life redesign for me to pick up the 3DS.

Why is everyone reading 3-8 hours as 3 hours? The way I see that, it'll be 3 hours if you have the brightness set to max, but if you have it tweaked down (as I always do on my DSi anyway) it'll last significantly longer. If I can push it to around 5 hours, it'll be the same as my PSP, so I don't have a problem with that at all.

Why is everyone reading 3-8 hours as 3 hours? The way I see that, it'll be 3 hours if you have the brightness set to max, but if you have it tweaked down (as I always do on my DSi anyway) it'll last significantly longer. If I can push it to around 5 hours, it'll be the same as my PSP, so I don't have a problem with that at all.

Everywhere I'm looking I see 3-5.

The low amount of hours sucks, but I guess at the same time I'm used to it, as I still have a GBA SP I bought in 2003 that has a crap battery I don't feel like figuring out how to replace with a better one. I get about 3 hours max on that.

What sucks is, I am planning on buying a 3DS on release if possible. But if the battery sucks and everyone is already complaining, most likely it means Nintendo is going to rerelease the hardware a year later with lots of little improvements.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

See, personally I don't see 3-5 hours as being that bad. If I'm going to be away from the house for longer than that and actually bringing a portable system with me, then in all likelihood, I'll be going somewhere overnight and would be able to plan ahead and bring a charger. Hotels have outlets, so I'm not too bothered. Ideally, I'll be gone that long in order to actually do something, so I should have more than the 3DS to keep me occupied anyway. 3-5 hours is fine for a portable. Hell, my ipod touch gets less than 5 hours with games (closer to 10-12 with music, obviously) and I still play stuff on that without any problems. It seems like the 3DS will have a slightly worse battery than the newer, longer-lasting PSP batteries (ie: the ones that are much better than what the PSP launched with). That's fine by me.

Hello bot.

The battery thing isn't actually a huge problem for me as well. I mainly play at home and the annual trip to Japan during summer is almost the only time I need a longer charge, but don't some bigger high class airplanes have a charger place also? At least in the airplane toilet there is a plug. :grin:

The games look pretty damn sweet in the unfortunately short videos that are popping up in Youtube. As I already said I'm really excited about Julian Gollop's Tom Clancy game and Paper Mario and Mario Kart 3DS are looking really promising also.