Kolzig

Nintendo 3DS

I know everyone says it's the best Zelda ever and all, but I've never been able to really get into Link's Awakening. It's charming and all, but it just doesn't click for me for some reason. At the moment I'm passing on the Oracles.

do it do it do it

It's so totally worth it. Like 99% of my gaming is on the 3DS these days.

What specifically is taking your time on 3DS? I'm having trouble finding more beyond AC and FE to draw me in.

Well, personally, I bring it with me everywhere and always leave it turned on because of Streetpass, which is the secret best feature of the system. In addition to Streetpass' own self-contained applications (Puzzle Swap and Find Mii), it encourages me to keep going back to play Super Mario 3D Land (the first Mario game I've 100%ed in nearly a decade because it's so darned good) by unlocking more short bonus content. Professor Layton's daily puzzles ensure that I play the game at least once a day as well. Luigi's Mansion 2 is charming as hell for 90% of the game and has some fantastic multiplayer. Swapnote is surprisingly great if you get a decently-sized friend list. Virtual Console on the go is perfect for quick bursts (Mega Man 2 remains rad), and I haven't even had time to touch the games other people have been bugging me to try; like Pushmo, Kid Icarus, and Fire Emblem.

If I'm being 100% honest, I've largely been playing the DS Pokémon games on mine, in anticipation for X and Y in October, because I am a butt.

Ooh, 3D Land does interest me, and I am hypothetically interested in the new Pokemans, or at least might be closer to release.

What's so special about Swapnote?

It's like Pictochat, except asynchronous, online, and now the dicks jump RIGHT OUT at you.

(Jeremy Parish and Philip Armstrong are both on my friend list, so the first month of Swapnote was nothing but charming little bespoke drawings of Mega Man. It's super. It's probably going to get rolled into Miiverse when the 3DS version of that launches, though)

I wish the eShop would get more back catalogue games. Put Super Nintendo games on there, I'm not going to buy a WiiU for that.

What specifically is taking your time on 3DS? I'm having trouble finding more beyond AC and FE to draw me in.

Well there's been a bit of a JRPG renaissance happening on the 3DS. I think FEA is the best thing i've played this year, but i've also just absolutely fallen in love with Etrian Odyssey IV.

Instead of repeating myself at length again, i'll just link to this..

Also, Mighty Switch Force 2 is apparently hitting the eShop next week.

I played the first EO way back when, could be fun to dip into it again. Could try out the demo and see if it still holds myninterest i guess. Not sure how interested I am in the other JRPGs though, maybe Bravely Default but that is still a ways off as I understand it. Sorry for asking the same questions over and over.

That said, I am curious and confused about SD cards. How big should I look in to? How big are downloaded games? How many can fit on a 4GB card? I'm looking at the Animal Crossing 3DXL which comes with just 4. Do I need to juggle multiple cards...?

It's not all RPG's, as i noted. Kid Icarus Uprising and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon are really great games, and Super Mario 3D Land is legitimately one of the best recent Mario games. I also think Mario Kart 7 might be one of the best Mario Kart games, and Resident Evil: Revelations is also one of the best recent RE games and a pretty amazing feat of software engineering, it looks incredible. There's certainly plenty more, especially on the eShop.

As for SD cards, I had done some digging a couple weeks ago here and here. I found that there was a lot of confusion to wade through.

I can say, if you end up playing a lot of games on your 3DS, and especially if you're downloading the digital versions of retail games, 4 gigs won't get you very far. Instead, I'd say that 16 gigabytes is probably a really good place to be at. I just put a 32 gigabyte card in my 3DS and it'll probably be more than i'll ever need, even with all the use my 3DS gets.

If you aren't sure about it now, it's easy to upgrade SD cards later. Swapping data between cards isn't hard, there's no proprietary process involved, you literally just plug it into a PC and then copy its contents over to the replacement card, making sure the folder structure is intact. (It's the process of transferring software licenses between 3DS's that is slightly more arduous.)

I only have two full retail games on my system (Professor Layton and Luigi's Mansion), but they both weigh in at nearly a gig (nearly 7000 black each, which would be about 0.85GB), You might want to consider a larger card. The good news is that data transfers are as simple as drag and drop.

eShop games are usually pretty small, it's definitely the retail games that eat up a lot of space.

If i delete a game can I keep the saves and reinstall it again later?

No, the saves are gone I believe, but reinstalling is no problem. Better idea is to invest in a good SD card and just keep all the stuff you have invested lots of time in.

Glad moving stuff from SD to SD is so easy. Wish Nintendo had a normal account system instead of locking software to hardware. Really puts a damper on my enthusiasm for the system. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Yes, that's annoying. No, that's not a huge deal. You don't HAVE to purchase a lot of downloadable content. Really now, if this entire thread, filled as it is with respectable citizens all saying that the 3DS is one of the best pieces of gaming hardware around, can't convince you, I'm not sure anything can.

Maybe some pics of you enjoying your DS while out and about would help. Don't forget to smile!

Haha, yeah i appreciate everyones help answering my questions. I have special circumstances that make me frustrated at the direction Nintendo is going with the 3DS. I live in Japan so the region locking is a pain in the ass, and the account system is just another layer of ugly. Downloading games is a lot easier (and cheaper) than importing them from the States, but tying them to the system is frustrating. Anyway, I'm planning on getting one at the end of the month if all goes well. Will let you guys know when I do! Thank you once again.

Hmm, the new Animal Crossing is out in Europe next week and just came out in the US, does it deserve to have it's own thread in the multiplayer section or will the friend code thread suffice?

Animal Crossing deserves its own tab next to Video Gaming.

It's amazing how the 3DS has taken off - it gives you hope for Wii U. Apparently people like games to play on their consoles (take note, Vita). I bought the system at launch, knowing AC would come and noodling about with Zelda and the Ambassador Programme in the meantime (lack of games actually forced me to play retro things I'd never have got around to otherwise). But since late last year there's been so much great stuff, full retail and eshop, I've had trouble squeezing them in. In the EU Nintendo are running a So Many Games! Promotion (buy and 3 games from a list of 8 and get a 4th free) so I'm actually getting Animal Crossing for the competitive price of £zero. I got Mario 3D Land for nothing when I upgraded to an XL. The upgrade itself was an outlay, but there were decent incentives so I didn't feel I was being fleeced. Don't know what my point was here, apart from sucking off Nintendo. Just feels refreshing after years without promos of any kind (Mario Bros. shoelaces from Club Nintendo don't count).

I've just made SD space for Animal Crossing which'll squeeze on to my 4gb card with 3D Land, Fire Emblem a half dozen eshop games and the Ambassador bunch. Unless you're downloading ALL your retail games, 4gb is enough to begin with.

I should really get a new SD card since I am buying Animal Crossing to get a free game with that offer too, I know you can transfer with a click and drag, but can you get any kind of SD card of any size?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the SD card thing.. If I hypothetically deleted the two games I have on my default SD card I can redownload them back onto any SD card, right? I'll only lose my saves. The SD transfer thing is just to preserve saves and not having to redownload? I gotta go read this thread again, 'cause I can't even remember how the SD transfer actually works.

Wait, I've misunderstood something.. The transfer is from a 3DS to XL? Is there any similar process for when you just want to switch to a larger SD card? Or do I have to suck it up and lose all progress? Also, cartridge games save their data elsewhere.. right? Like.. somewhere on the cartridge?

Cartridge games save to the cartridge. If you want to change SD cards, you only have to copy the files over on your computer. You can redownload to any SD card as long as the 3DS is considered the same one that you originally downloaded them to.

Sweet! Then I see absolutely no problem with that side

of things, as far as I'm concerned.

So Animal Crossing is pretty cool. Head over here and drop your friend code so we can exchange fruit, etc. I've got apples and, if all goes well, oranges.