elmuerte

Deus Ex 3

All right. I'm playing this all stealthy and non-lethally and just realized I'm probably going to get my ass kicked by the first boss and get filled with rage. What is the minimum amount of bro space marine speccing and equipping I'm going to have to do to be able to defeat these bosses? Currently I've spent all my praxis points on hacking and social skills, and I just sell off everything except stun and tranq weapons. GUIDE ME ILDE THUMBS!

Grab a pistol and use all the weapon upgrades you can't use on the tranq rifle on the pistol. Then shoot the boss in the head with it a few times.

Hold on to an emp grenade or two to stun the boss, then when he doesn't know where you are, run around the room hucking explode-y shit at him until he dies. For the second boss, upgrade your armour until electricity no longer hurts you, then shoot the wall-thingies to shock her and turn off her cloaking device. Unload guns in her face. For the third boss, high-jump over the walls, and when he follows you make him land on mines. Using these methods, I have now beaten all 3 of them (playing on "Give me a challenge" difficulty). Godspeed, 'blix.

So basically, unless the player has an extreme amount of luck, going for a non-lethal approach (which, by the way, is endorsed in an achievement) is equivalent to making the game impossible to complete? That sounds pretty dumb. I feel like I should start spending praxis points on combat skills, even though that goes against my desired way of playing the game. Fuck those bosses, whoever they are.

Another question: whenever I encounter the first boss; if I find out I'm ill equipped for the battle, can I just head off somewhere else and find new stuff, or will I have to redo lots of stuff?

Nope, you're locked in to combat with him, and there's no backtracking once you find him. I was massively ill-equipped to fight him, which is why I had to use the "EMP and cowering" technique. I didn't have a single point in any combat disciplines whatsoever at the time, so don't worry too much. He's still entirely possible, he's just a massive pain in the ass. Whatever you do, don't try to face him head-on.

And FYI, bosses don't count for the non-lethal achievement. They have to die for the story to happen, so killing them (but no one else) will still get you the achievement.

I'm completely and totally stressed about that non-lethal achievement! Whenever I knock someone out I make sure to pull them to a couch or chair and make them comfortable. In my sleep I look back and see this one guy I knocked out and left on the floor, and imagine that, as I make my way through the level, slight vibrations in the ground make his body slowly slide across the floor and into an uncomfortable position against the wall, and then he slowly chokes and I don't know about this until I finish the game and don't get the achievement and explode in a fit of rage unlike any fit I've ever exploded in.

I'm completely and totally stressed about that non-lethal achievement! Whenever I knock someone out I make sure to pull them to a couch or chair and make them comfortable. In my sleep I look back and see this one guy I knocked out and left on the floor, and imagine that, as I make my way through the level, slight vibrations in the ground make his body slowly slide across the floor and into an uncomfortable position against the wall, and then he slowly chokes and I don't know about this until I finish the game and don't get the achievement and explode in a fit of rage unlike any fit I've ever exploded in.

This is simultaneously the best and worst thing I've ever read. You've got a fever, 'blix, and the only cure is more Deus Ex.

During the intro when your lab is being raided, did you kill anyone who was doing the raiding? Because that counts. When I learned that, I was bummed because that was the only time I'd killed anyone. No achievement for me.

This is not an unreasonable fear. Fairly early on, I saw two guards talking to each other at the end of a hallway, and I thought I would be clever by throwing a fire extinguisher down there to distract them and then sneak by while they couldn't see me through the cloud of carbon dioxide or whatever. So I tried that, but when the cloud dissipated, both guards were on the floor; one was unconscious and the other was dead. I don't know why. Maybe the fire extinguisher clobbered him on the head. At any rate, by the time I got over there the game had already auto-saved, and if I hadn't tried to search the body I would never have known that I involuntarily murdered a guy. In conclusion, fuck this game.

Yeah that's the problem I've always had with trying to play Metal Gear Solid non-lethally: so easy to accidentally twat someone up. Granted that game doesn't auto-save, but it's still a pain in the arse if you do it due to MGS's intentional discouragement of loading by making it inconvenient.

I don't ever go out of achievements, I don't get them and think their dumb. That said, I'm usually a run in and kill everything kind of player and have been going mainly non-lethal route.

Sometimes it doesn't work out that way and I have to kill some people; but I tried to do the "right thing" and that's all that matters, I don't need an achievement to tell me that.

So shammack, so one could say you accidentally extinguished his life?

*cue laugh track*

All right. I'm playing this all stealthy and non-lethally and just realized I'm probably going to get my ass kicked by the first boss and get filled with rage. What is the minimum amount of bro space marine speccing and equipping I'm going to have to do to be able to defeat these bosses? Currently I've spent all my praxis points on hacking and social skills, and I just sell off everything except stun and tranq weapons. GUIDE ME ILDE THUMBS!

Mines, basically.

Just have a lot of frag mines.

(Also, if you're trying to do non-lethal, take every advantage you can. Keep those gas grenades. They're quiet and non-lethal.)

DON'T SELL OFF THE MINES. And maybe buy more. 10 frag grenades/mines should be more than enough. Mines are maybe better because they don't roll. EMP is useful against some bosses too, stunning them. I think it's easier to just spam them with mines rather than using some cleverer strategy.

I never asked for this.

I'd want to make that game, that'd be neat.

edit:

Cant beat the third boss, only have 2 mines and a couple of concussion grenades, I've unloaded every heavy weapon bullet I have into the guy and nothing. I've gone through the drawers and ended up using the laser rifle which seemed to do nothing.

Edited by Murdoc

Cant beat the third boss, only have 2 mines and a couple of concussion grenades, I've unloaded every heavy weapon bullet I have into the guy and nothing. I've gone through the drawers and ended up using the laser rifle which seemed to do nothing.

Apparently there's a glitch that lets you do a takedown on him while he's jumping over a wall:

4v1X5F0d58I

whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

What the fuck. I just shot a dude with my tranq gun and pulled his body around a corner. Suddenly I notice his icon is a skull... did I just kill a man with my tranq gun? Is that possible?

God damn it. Apparently it's a known issue, and the only way to see if you didn't actually kill anyone is to finish the game. While I know it's just an achievement, it's pretty annoying to go out of my way to not kill anyone and then not get the recognition for it after all that work because of sloppy programming. I really wish there was a way of knowing if you'd missed your chances at achievements like this throughout the game. Mirror's Edge had an indicator for it's Pacifist achievement.

Anyway, just to be safe I downloaded a save I can use to get the achievement in case the game breaks on me.

Edited by toblix

Maybe you bumped his head when you were dragging him or something?

Is it really so that there is no way to know if you have accidentally killed someone at some point?

whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

What the fuck. I just shot a dude with my tranq gun and pulled his body around a corner. Suddenly I notice his icon is a skull... did I just kill a man with my tranq gun? Is that possible?

God damn it. Apparently it's a known issue, and the only way to see if you didn't actually kill anyone is to finish the game. While I know it's just an achievement, it's pretty annoying to go out of my way to not kill anyone and then not get the recognition for it after all that work because of sloppy programming. I really wish there was a way of knowing if you'd missed your chances at achievements like this throughout the game. Mirror's Edge had an indicator for it's Pacifist achievement.

Anyway, just to be safe I downloaded a save I can use to get the achievement in case the game breaks on me.

Perhaps you pulled a frankenstein and accidentally choked him to death when you picked him up.

Aaaaaannnnnndddddddd Uninstall. I can't even remember when I was so infuriated at a single player game.

Took me about an hour to beat the third guy. What I ended up doing was getting him to jump onto my mines, then slamming him in the face with that giant laser while he was reeling. Took about 3 mines worth. That laser actually is pretty good, but enemies don't really react to it. It's kinda weird that way.